• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Lincoln 2 plus noise in 2018 Chevy Silverado Z71 Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC4

I would.

When I install antennas mounts, the coax gets cut to length, I live about a foot in chase I need to reterminate, but that's it. Done in on CB installs, VHF, UHF and 7-800MHz. It's industry standard.
Do you think it would actually change anything if I did? Cause I have no idea.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Do you think it would actually change anything if I did? Cause I have no idea.

Coiling up excess cable near other noise sources inside the cab and act as a big antenna to pick up noise from those systems. As you established above, the noise is coming in via the coaxial cable. The noise went away when you unplugged the antenna from the back of the radio.

RC4

Coiling up excess cable near other noise sources inside the cab and act as a big antenna to pick up noise from those systems. As you established above, the noise is coming in via the coaxial cable. The noise went away when you unplugged the antenna from the back of the radio.
Yes you’re right! So my next question is, how much do I take off ?
Thank you

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes you’re right! So my next question is, how much do I take off ?
Thank you

You take off anything you don't need to get from the radio to the antenna.

But, before you start cutting cable, try moving the antenna to a different location and see if the noise goes away.
You've established that the noise is entering the radio via the antenna jack. That noise might be directly picked up by the antenna, might be picked up by the coaxial cable, might be a combination of both.

In other words, don't cut the cable to length until you figure out if you need to move the antenna or not.

rcarl

Hello all first time here! So I hope this is the right forum to post this.
Ill try to keep this short as possible.
I have a 2018 Chevy Silverado Z71 with a president Lincoln 2+. Francis 6foot Hot rod driver side hood fender mount 18' coax RG8x and wired straight to the battery ground as well. 1.3 SWR most of the time. My problem is, #1-I get like 6 or 7 lights of Static. #2 When I turn my steering wheel Left or right I get even more static and when I turn my wheel my radio also dims a little bit.
My question is should i be running to my fuse box? OR should I try getting a 2nd battery and just running the radio off that? I don't know if its a power issue, a ground issue an Antenna issue or a truck issue. I know these Lincolns can get a bit noisy and I understand that but 7 lights worth? Its like 7 or 8 DB of crap! I've never experienced this with any other Vehicle I have ever owned. Is this what white noise is?

Any help would be great! Thank you
Well, first things first. Is the noise the same when the truck is running and not running?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Well, first things first. Is the noise the same when the truck is running and not running?

Go through and reread the entire thread. This has been covered. Noise is from the truck, goes away with engine off. Goes away with coax removed from radio.
Noise is from the truck itself. Noise is getting in via antenna and/or coax.

I've suggested a few time that he try moving the antenna, but I don't think he's tried it yet.

RC4

Yes noise is much better with truck off. Sometimes noise is completely gone actually when the truck is off but when I open the door or start it the noise comes back big time.

RC4

Go through and reread the entire thread. This has been covered. Noise is from the truck, goes away with engine off. Goes away with coax removed from radio.
Noise is from the truck itself. Noise is getting in via antenna and/or coax.

I've suggested a few time that he try moving the antenna, but I don't think he's tried it yet.
So the only other place I could really move it is the passenger side of the hood and that’s the side my battery is on. The only space I could run the coax is along the area right where my power lead runs. As of right now both power and neg wires are completely on opposite sides of my coax. Just how it should be.
I’ve thought about the bed but I’m not sure I want it there. Maybe I’ll try and move the mount up some from where it is now and see what happens.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I’ve thought about the bed but I’m not sure I want it there. Maybe I’ll try and move the mount up some from where it is now and see what happens.

Yeah, I don't like bed mounts either. But it would be a good experiment to see if the noise goes away. Even a temporary install, or even just have someone hold antenna there and see if it works.

I think your goal needs to be finding the source of the noise and either eliminating it or moving the antenna/coax far enough away form it that it's no longer an issue. That means getting rid of that excess coax in the cab near potential noise sources inside the cab, or moving the antenna away from potential noise sources under the hood.

RC4

Yeah, I don't like bed mounts either. But it would be a good experiment to see if the noise goes away. Even a temporary install, or even just have someone hold antenna there and see if it works.

I think your goal needs to be finding the source of the noise and either eliminating it or moving the antenna/coax far enough away form it that it's no longer an issue. That means getting rid of that excess coax in the cab near potential noise sources inside the cab, or moving the antenna away from potential noise sources under the hood.
I will do the coax first. I’ll just remove 9” and see how it likes that first.
Thank you

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I mean that will put me @ 9 feet. I’ll think I’ll do 6 that will put me at 12 feet. Should be perfect

Yeah, whatever works. I usually route all the cable starting at the antenna mount towards the radio. I leave about a foot, no more, for retermination or having to remove the radio. Any more cable than that is a waste.

TomLine

Have you done a radio check to see how you're getting out? I run my Lincoln II+ radio at about 75% gain for receive, and guys have said I sound best with mic gain at about 75% as well. There's an SWR display when you transmit. It will probably go up a bit when you talk so don't freak as long as it doesn't go so high it automatically mutes transmit.

RC4

Have you done a radio check to see how you're getting out? I run my Lincoln II+ radio at about 75% gain for receive, and guys have said I sound best with mic gain at about 75% as well. There's an SWR display when you transmit. It will probably go up a bit when you talk so don't freak as long as it doesn't go so high it automatically mutes transmit.
Oh I’ve talked skip on this radio many times. It’s just the receive that gives me problems.

TomLine

Oh I’ve talked skip on this radio many times. It’s just the receive that gives me problems.
I sent mine back to P.E. in Florida for the 2nd time now. First time they said I had my gain too low. This time they said it works "according to factory specs" on the bench. I sent a video that shows how it hears a signal good at squelch 0, but is choppy at squelch=1 even though the meter says 5 or 7 db. On a quiet AM channel, squelch 1 kills all audio right now. Word is that the engineering menu settings for side band work correctly, but on mine the engineering menu settings for AM/FM do absolutely nothing. This forces a guy to leave it on squelch=0 to actually use it. I think these guys have been making radios with flashing amusement lights so long, they forgot how a real squelch works.

RC4

I sent mine back to P.E. in Florida for the 2nd time now. First time they said I had my gain too low. This time they said it works "according to factory specs" on the bench. I sent a video that shows how it hears a signal good at squelch 0, but is choppy at squelch=1 even though the meter says 5 or 7 db. On a quiet AM channel, squelch 1 kills all audio right now. Word is that the engineering menu settings for side band work correctly, but on mine the engineering menu settings for AM/FM do absolutely nothing. This forces a guy to leave it on squelch=0 to actually use it. I think these guys have been making radios with flashing amusement lights so long, they forgot how a real squelch works.
Haha I just got mine back as well and they told me to use my rf gain more! Really? So I’ve figured out I am getting both noise from the truck and white noise. I will be reinstalling my mount and ground wire to see if that might help.

slowmover

Haha I just got mine back as well and they told me to use my rf gain more! Really? So I’ve figured out I am getting both noise from the truck and white noise. I will be reinstalling my mount and ground wire to see if that might help.

I’ve been affectionately calling mine, The Ham Radio, Jr.
In the Kenworth it’s noisier than a comparable GALAXY, but it’s also the superior radio.

1). Anyone can comment using this in a very well sorted base station (xtra low system noise)?

2). Audio filtration post radio is a help (DSP) as with any “digital” unit. I run my CB 10-12/hours daily, 6-7/days per week.

3). Much as I like using a KENWOOD KES-5 mobile speaker as backup to the integrated DSP unit the high KES-5 efficiency only exaggerates the sibilant nature of digital radio “hiss”. Thus the speaker TYPE needs addressing (past DSP).

4). What the PRESIDENT LINCOLN does extraordinarily well is to bring all RX — so to speak — to the same power of reproduction. No mobile CB is it’s match in this. I can barely tell distant from near or more powerful from weaker based ONLY on what the external speaker is telling me.

My livelihood depends on rapid decision-making from information via radio traffic in many instances. Maybe also the lives of you & your family while road-bound are tied to my perceptions.

So — despite the BETTER overall performance of a Lincoln — a side mic Galaxy (DX-959b) is what resides in a mobile system where component replacement cost without the radio exceeds $1,000 as my being able to immediately determine near from far is crucial.

The Linc is slated to go into the personal vehicle where antenna mount difficulties aren’t so great. Nor are there any restrictions on my using a quarter-wave whip out on the Big Road. (There are but few mobile radios able to fully utilize the very best antenna systems).

Think instead that it’s raw horsepower you have to feather so as not to break the chassis loose.

The many noise abatement tips are real. DSP. Ferrites and various filters. Only systems matter. Getting excitable over the radio is putting the cart before the horse.

Mobile takes more work.

Mobile Install Bible

Last edited:

TomLine

They should consider fixing the squelch and stop blowing smoke up their customer's back side on this one. Now they have the customers doing it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.