Lincoln Co. signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankM

Premium Subscriber
Recently Lincoln County narrowbanded their system in Canton and also all mobiles in the county, both digital and VHF. I live in Sioux Falls and up until the time they did the narrowbanding I could hear all the traffic on the VHF fire channel (154.440) on my Radio Shack Pro-2096, but now I can hardly hear anything as far as voice. My pager beeps ok, but can hardly hear the message there also. Just wondering if anyone might have a thought on this or is there any adjustments I need to make on my Pro-2096 ? Thanks

SCPD

QRT
Recently Lincoln County narrowbanded their system in Canton and also all mobiles in the county, both digital and VHF. I live in Sioux Falls and up until the time they did the narrowbanding I could hear all the traffic on the VHF fire channel (154.440) on my Radio Shack Pro-2096, but now I can hardly hear anything as far as voice. My pager beeps ok, but can hardly hear the message there also. Just wondering if anyone might have a thought on this or is there any adjustments I need to make on my Pro-2096 ? Thanks

Thats odd, but first it might just be a typo, but the freq is 154.445. I haven't noticed anything.. You could try just listening to North tower, or the new West tower. The west tower is located in tea, I just updated that database today, it should be updated soon

FrankM

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, kc for your reply back. Yes, I had a typo error there and I do have the freq. at 154.445. I should have been a little clearer on what I have been having as the problem. I get the North tower OK, it is when they go to the Central tower that I have this problem. Our pagers and info is transmitted to us for fire department calls on this tower :-( . As the other post mentions, perhaps they have less transmit power now. I guess I will have to check with them down at the 911 center in Canton. If they dispatched us on the North or West tower I suppose I would be ok. Tea FD comes in loud and clear there !!! Anyway, thanks for your help !

SCPD

QRT
FrankM: Central tower is a littel "wackey". I dont want to say that there is something wrong with it, but even keying it up with 40 watts from a base mounted radio in Canton the radio sounds scratchy. I love North tower though, it has great coverage all over Sioux Falls, and a great part of Lincoln county in general. You could request that they page off of the north tower for you depending on where your agency is, and etc.

radioboy75

Premium Subscriber
All things being equal, a narrowband signal will sound "quieter" to a wide band receiver. Not weaker signal-wise, but quieter. Now if there was also a reduction in power, that could cause extra frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.