Lincoln County SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeBeCinYa

I have all the Lincoln County TGs for viper loaded to my scanners, and for specifically the SO, is there only one open channel, “Lincoln Sheriff”? I never hear anything on SO Tac channel...but I’ve heard them move traffic over to an “ops” channel if something big is going on. Any insight?

Attachments

• 8156C335-C438-442D-AB94-BE9D963A4EDF.jpeg
    8156C335-C438-442D-AB94-BE9D963A4EDF.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 43

ScottE22

Most SO the size of Licoln utilize a dispatch channel,Catawba has a car to car,a common channel and a few Law channels they use,but most traffic is on main dispatch,make sure to include any SO and tac/ops channels in your favorites list....

WeBeCinYa

Most SO the size of Licoln utilize a dispatch channel,Catawba has a car to car,a common channel and a few Law channels they use,but most traffic is on main dispatch,make sure to include any SO and tac/ops channels in your favorites list....

i have everything listed as shown in first post. Unless these channels are hidden in another TG I only see two SO channels. I assume the noted Tac channel is encrypted or any traffic on it has been outside of the site I monitor.

WeBeCinYa

I still cannot find this alternate channel, I heard them call it the "Charlie" channel this weekend...

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
I live and work in both Lincoln County and Catawba County, in Emergency Services. What I can say is there are a bunch of operations talkgroups for Law Enforcement purposes that have not been made public. There are reasons for this. I am not at liberty to share said talkgroups as I said they are used for sensitive Law Enforcement operations and I have not been given permission to share them with anybody else. And honestly, we don't need them being broadcast over the internet for certain incidents. Encryption is already being discussed for the P25 Phase-2 VIPER upgrade by 2025 so I am going to do my best to make sure we don't push the envelope to cause that to happen! Think of these particular talkgroups as like SWAT or Surveillance talkgroups, ones that everyone in the world doesn't need to hear so the LEO's can do their jobs, but also aren't encrypted. Being that they are not encrypted, however, you COULD find them if you wanted to by using the ID search function on the scanner.

jake_Braker

C/O 2Ø21
Premium Subscriber
I completely forgot about this thread so when the notification came up, I was like "why are you making a thread about not sharing Leo tac channels"
I completely agree though. If there are channels out there that you find, use common sense when sharing that info. If it's something that is used for primary functions such as dispatch, go ahead and share it. But if it's tactical channels you found during a swat standoff, just keep em to yourself. We're incredibly fortunate these areas have chosen not to go encrypted when they switch to digital so we as citizens have the opportunity to listen and enjoy. Don't make them lose that trust in us

AK4FD

Catawba County, NC — FF/EMT, COML, AUXC, Skywarn
Premium Subscriber
Well the Big E is already being tossed around right now in preparations for the Phase-2 upgrade by 2025. There are a number of Law Enforcement Agencies that are seriously thinking about it, including this area... Including regular routine Sheriff Dispatch talkgroups... So I don't want to piss off the pitbull if you get my drift. We are trying to persuade the local LEA's to leave the routine Dispatch talkgroups open in the clear and make certain tactical ones encrypted if they want, but ultimately it is up to each Department to decide. I already know of 2 Law Enforcement Agencies that will be going full encrypted when the switch happens in 2025, routine Dispatches and all, in this area so I am trying my best to make sure we don't add to that statistic!

ScottE22

Well the Big E is already being tossed around right now in preparations for the Phase-2 upgrade by 2025. There are a number of Law Enforcement Agencies that are seriously thinking about it, including this area... Including regular routine Sheriff Dispatch talkgroups... So I don't want to piss off the pitbull if you get my drift. We are trying to persuade the local LEA's to leave the routine Dispatch talkgroups open in the clear and make certain tactical ones encrypted if they want, but ultimately it is up to each Department to decide. I already know of 2 Law Enforcement Agencies that will be going full encrypted when the switch happens in 2025, routine Dispatches and all, in this area so I am trying my best to make sure we don't add to that statistic!
Is Catawba county planning on going encrypted when Phase 2 comes in?

WeBeCinYa

Not trying to out any channels. I was just asking about other channels thinking I was missing something that was public. I don’t sit around searching for channels so dispatch is fine by me. As far as E goes, if Lincoln county goes that way, I’ll give up the hobby I’ve enjoyed for almost 2 decades. I have my doubts that happens in Lincoln.

ScottE22

If not mistaken, NC law provides for a transcript of law enforcement comms if public is not able to monitor them,would think agencies would prefer to leave non sensitive comms open, rather than provide transcripts of them,not that many would request....

ScottE22

Can you share which agencies will be going encrypted in the Unifour area when P2 comes into effect?

Tobydog

Just for kicks and giggles, the general statutes on public records including radio traffic is open to a lot of interpretation at best. Encryption is here to stay for LEO safety. Just another thought, would you want everybody in a town hear about a relative or family member hurt or killed over a scanner? Every radio we use on job is dark and will stay that way.
Just my dimes worth

ScottE22

I'm just gonna say, I doubt anybody who knows this info is going to share it. Job security
So a agency that will go full encrypted will fire someone who shares that info?Don't see how that info will compromise the safety and security of the agency, as a former LEO agree certain channels are sensitive and need to be confidential, but it's a moot point knowing an agency is going to in the future go dark.I already know of several channels used by feds and local/county tasks forces on a regular basis in the clear for surveillance, but I don't publish the info.With the current push for transparency by agencies from the public,I feel that routine LE traffic should be shared. Just my opinion....

Status
Not open for further replies.