Lincoln RI FD signal strength?

Status
Not open for further replies.

w1av

Hi

I live in Cranston just north of RI mall off route 5 and I am curious as to why the Lincoln FD (154.160) comes in weak most of the time. I am using a discone mounted up about 20' and also a homebrew 1/2 wave dipole cut for vhf. up about 20'. I have a pretty clear shot from my antenna north/south and I am south of Lincoln. I have hills (east/west) of me. Is their signal somewhat weaker down this way for other listeners?

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
Lincoln FD

I believe the Lincoln PD & FD have moved to the 800 mhz RISCON system. You will need a digital (P25) scanner to receive those transmissions. Time to upgrade!!!

w1av

U may be right!

Yeah I have been putting off investing in a digital radio. Gotta justify the PRICE though. Not sure what to get but was eyeballing Bearcats. I am an old school monitor from the early 80's so I am unfamiliar with all this new technology. If Lincoln has moved off to RISCON, how come there are still transmissions on the old frequency? I seem to get real good reception of most of the analog transmissions still out there. I still listen to Warwick PD and FIRE, Fall River PD and fire come in very strong using a 1/2 wave dipole outside. I just started to monitor POCSAG signals using PDW software which was free.

Last edited:

Darkstar01

Was: N1RGR
Yeah I have been putting off investing in a digital radio. Gotta justify the PRICE though. Not sure what to get but was eyeballing Bearcats. I am an old school monitor from the early 80's so I am unfamiliar with all this new technology. If Lincoln has moved off to RISCON, how come there are still transmissions on the old frequency? I seem to get real good reception of most of the analog transmissions still out there. I still listen to Warwick PD and FIRE, Fall River PD and fire come in very strong using a 1/2 wave dipole outside. I just started to monitor POCSAG signals using PDW software which was free.

You can pick up a used uniden 996 on ebay for less than a couple hundred bucks.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIDEN-BCD...h=item3d7866cb84:g:7wwAAOSwTitbp~MS:rk:2:pf:0

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
If Lincoln has moved off to RISCON, how come there are still transmissions on the old frequency?

The trunked system is simulcast on the VHF channel to allow mutual aid companies that aren't on RISCON to talk to them

Nascar18

Premium Subscriber
signal is good

The signal is good in Fall River . The simulcast has a digital sound to the transmissions that could be the problem.

Stewj

Premium Subscriber
I live on the Warwick - North Kingstown line and Lincoln (FD & PD on RISCON) are a couple of the loudest and clearest channels I receive when scanning.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I live on the Warwick - North Kingstown line and Lincoln (FD & PD on RISCON) are a couple of the loudest and clearest channels I receive when scanning.

He is referring to the VHF simulcast frequency (154.600)

fyrrsq4

Premium Subscriber
Lincoln

We use the VHF system to tone out the stations as the grant we received did not come with the right dispatch console to generate the tones.

We are 100% digital for all ops in town for fire/ems/police.

Ed is right too, mutual aid companies can use the patch to speak to us, however most have 800 radios now to use.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.