HP-2: Line-out, volume, and ‘buzzing’

Status
Not open for further replies.

KL4JC

Hi, all! I'm new here, and a bit of a noob to some of this stuff — please forgive me if my questions are really dumb!

I'm a new HAM, and have a HomePatrol-2 that I've used in my car for a year and change. I'm now trying to bring it into the shack, and set up a ducking scanner with my HF gear / SDR computer.

Unfortunately, I'm running into some trouble:

1. The ‘line-out’ mini-TRS plug seems to carry no audio at all — I hooked it up to an input on my computer, and cranked the gain absurdly high, but hear nothing at all …
  2. Even the *headphones* port, when wired up to my computer, produces very, very little volume — I had to crank the gain up to 400% before I heard basically anything at all. (Is this something to do with the impedance of the ports? It's not listed in the manual …)
  3. If I plug the USB port into my computer, and the audio cable into the headphones port, I'm assaulted by a terrifying whine — there seems to be some ground-loop or feedback if I try to charge my HomePatrol while using it! (Which is unfortunate, as I wanted to leave it turned on basically 24/7; not add yet another device to turn on and back off every time I sit down at the bench …)

Any tips or help are welcome! Thanks for reading my stupidity!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
All recent Uniden scanners require stereo plugs and ground loop isolators when connecting audio to other devices. If you use a mono plug you are shorting out the output and can damage the scanner.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
All recent Uniden scanners require stereo plugs and ground loop isolators when connecting audio to other devices. If you use a mono plug you are shorting out the output and can damage the scanner.
Interesting.

With my BCD536HP the manual just says to use a 1/8 inch (3.5mm) mini-plug, no mention of stereo.

I use an old Motorola car cellphone kit external speaker with mine and it works fine, apart from as mentioned in another thread, faint noise and crackles depending on the amount of text on screen.

I might pick up a line isolator just the same.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm pretty certain the REC-OUT jack on the 996 series is a mono jack, not stereo. Also make sure you use a shielded cable.

Voyager

I'm pretty certain the REC-OUT jack on the 996 series is a mono jack, not stereo. Also make sure you use a shielded cable.

I'm pretty certain you are right. But the 536 has no REC-OUT jack and the jacks are stereo as has been said.

Status
Not open for further replies.