• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Linear Amp Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanggallo

Hello,

I was wondering if I could have a little help with this CB Linear Amp I found recently. There is no make/model on it so I have not been finding anything on the internet about it. However, on the front it says "SS-600V". This leads me to believe it is home-made. The amp powers up and the LEDs/fan comes on etc, but there is no real way of seeing if this thing works properly. Besides finding out if this works, my main question is how do I tell how much power this puts out? I don't quite understand pill counting etc..

I attached photos of the board and amp with hopes of having help to identify it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and any help is highly appreciated!

Attachments

• LinearAmp.jpg
    LinearAmp.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 4,371
  • LinearAmp2.jpg
    LinearAmp2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 2,624

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
I'd bet it's a Varmint brand SS-600.. A quick google search will tell you all you need to know.

I couldn't find much about it in the quick search I did, but I'm sure some Internet Archaeology will be worth it

Fanggallo

I'd bet it's a Varmint brand SS-600.. A quick google search will tell you all you need to know.

I couldn't find much about it in the quick search I did, but I'm sure some Internet Archaeology will be worth it

Thanks. I actually thought that as well yet could not find anything about it being a Varmint.

methusaleh

It appears that the SD1446 transistors are driving the 2SC2879s. Meant for the CB crowd for sure, with a low input wattage (i.e. deadkey).

LtDoc

How to find out how much it's putting out? Simple, measure it.
Going only by 'looks', it's certainly not 'new'.
And if you can't, or don't know how to trace out circuits, you have no business trying to do anything with it. Is that a 'smart' remark? Nope, it's common sense, deals with safety. But it's your skin, have fun...
- 'Doc

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
LtDOC is right. Until you learn considerably more, you risk a burn, shock, or worse and a blown amp.

Fanggallo

Radio and Linear Help!

In order to not jump the gun, I'd like to get some order in what I am trying to do. With that being said, the question is: How do I "ready" my CB to be used with a linear? My CB is a Cobra 29 Chrome Edition with a Road Devil mic, Wilson 1000 and a 102" whip.

My set-up work great, but would should I do if I'm ready for an amp? Should I turn the CB output down to 4w or something? (I believe it's around 10 watts)

I heard I should switch mics being as the road devil is already adding a lot of power.

Any info on how I should "ready" or "modify" my set-up for a pill would be great.

Thanks.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Yes, return the radio to it's stock 4 watts just to be safe. Don't want to over drive the amp..

Mic's don't add "power" they add modulation.. And turning it down to a sane level (if it's a powered mic) would be advised. If nothing else, dig the stock mic out of storage until you know what it'll do.

Get yourself an SWR/MOD/WATT meter and put it inline between the amp and the antenna.. GROUND EVERYTHING (twice) RF burns are no fun.. Oh, and run the amp power straight to the battery..

You list two antennas.. which do you run? Either should handle to amp, but running both at once will cause problems.

K5MPH

Brownsville Texas,On The Border By The Sea.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Make very sure your cb radio is only putting out 4 watts or you can over drive the amp and burn in up and be sure that your swr's are good.......

Fanggallo

Thanks for all the great info! However, I am running both antennas at the moment with my cb. It works great and I get out far. You're saying I should only run one with the pill? Which sounds more logical; the 102" or wilson 1000? Is it because of the SWRs that I cannot run both?

sdeeter19555

4 watts to drive that amp? Try 1/4 watt.

A 1x4 takes almost nothing to drive to full potential and they are easy to overdrive. Ideally you need a variable installed in the radio as the radio output will need to be fine tuned based on the voltage the vehicle is putting out at the time (voltage varies based on temperature typically).

At full output, it will draw nearly 60 amps from the charging system. Is your charging system up to the task?

A 1x4 is definitely not a good starter/entry level amp...you need to know what you're doing.

Fanggallo

What exactly do you mean by a 1x4 amp? The amp has 4 Toshiba pills 100w each and one black pill which is smaller.

Also, on the connections for the pills there are brown-ish spots that look like burn marks. I'd say they are burn marks but I thought it might be a type of heat glue since it's in various places around the board as well.

KD9KSO

Have they changed the CB rules about maximum CP from 4 watts, or 12 watts PEP, to whatever you want to send down the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.