• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Linear Amplifier Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatfishKirk

I have a realistic trc-492 that I am using as a base station and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to hook up a linear amplifier to this radio. Also any recomendations on a good linear would be helpful. Thanks

jassing

Premium Subscriber
Linear amps are illegal in the US for CB (11meter). instructions are usually: connect power, connect antenna -- re-tune antenna. if you have a peaked radio; it may over drive an amp and fry it. Cheap amps are everywhere... XForce has some nice mosfet amps, RM Italy makes some good amps -- amps are out there in all flavours class C to AB -- watch the amperage requirements! And for a base unit -- wait for hte knock on the door after you annoy the neighbors.....

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it!!!! All that said there are a ton of cheap splatter boxes out there as I call them. They run class "C" bias with no filtration for purity so they splatter from DC to daylight. I can promise anything over 100 watts will get you a visit from an irate neighbor, and possibly from the FCC if enough complaints are lodged. To answer your question, There are NO good linears out there for 11 meters. If you really want to pursue this, get a ham radio grade linear that has the 10 meter option, it will work on CB but at least it will be properly filtered. But be forwarned be prepared to fork out anywhere from $500 on up for a used one. Some brands are Alpha, QRO, Henry, Ameritron, Heathkit, Dentron, and there are many more.

My official recommendation, just get your ham license, and then you can really talk. There is nothing wrong with cb, but just use it as a stepping stone to your ham license.

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Oh no, here we go again forgetting on 11M CB anything they can get away with is considered "legal". From a realistic standpoint technical considerations are paramount, "running power" with a clean signal nobody knows you have an amp unless nearby rigs start emitting smoke or a guy 100 miles away gives you a "wall to wall and treetop tall" signal report.

Like we've been saying all along, a poorly designed amp puts out a dirty, easily recognized signal, lots of distortion and splatter. Most CB amps are "basement workshop jobs" with few exceptions, frankly I wouldn't touch anything that Dave made, or Texas Star, everything is bigger and better in Texas, hogwash!

NXN makes a good case but didn't explain Class C, maybe the highest DC input watt for RF output watt amp there is but the output waveform is highly distorted. RF waveform distortion isn't an issue with CW or FM but where amplitude variations (SSB and AM) carry the modulation all you'll hear is garble. That's where Class B and AB come into play, far less efficient but they follow the input waveform so the output is properly modulated. Most so-called CB techs can't even spell A, B, AB or C so don't expect a good sounding amp or one not loaded with harmonics and spurs causing interference for miles around.

Just between you, me and the lamp post, once upon a time I had a 100W DC to light push-pull class AB amp in the mobile on full time and nobody ever new the difference. The key is it was wired to the battery with no on-off switch, idle current only 100mA so it really didn't need one. Too bad I don't remember which major manufacturer made it (those were the days), that audio was clean and sweet.

Now don't think I'm in any way endorsing illegal operation, I'm just telling it like it is. The whole point is, these days trying to get a clean CB amp is like pulling hen's teeth, roll the dice and you lose... snake eyes. So why make enemies? Just don't do it, be a ham. Hey, I know plenty of hams who do CB so why not have a go and shoot the moon?

I was going to get into EME (moon bounce) but this is getting rather long...

JayMojave

Hello: You should have a better antenna than the non ground plane antennas.

I suggest a Pride DX 300 Amp, as its clean and can be used on the ham bands should you get the ham lic.

This uses a single 4CX250B which costs about 150 dollars. Which will last years more than the sweep tube amps. Does about 150 out or a little more on LOW, which works quit well. Works well on both AM and SSB.

See: Pride DX300 Manual

Good Luck

Jay in the Mojave

I have a realistic trc-492 that I am using as a base station and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to hook up a linear amplifier to this radio. Also any recomendations on a good linear would be helpful. Thanks

CapnJon

I used a white tornado 225 w/ a pre amp. Lasted a long time. I really liked the pre amp, used it all the time. You need a good power supply to use an amp. I always used a 20 amp supply. I couldn't tell you whats out there now. Any hams give you any slack just tell them they don't need to Troll here (CB forum) if it upsets them so...Everything has an off button, use it lol.

jassing

Premium Subscriber
I have (um, a friend) who has used the RM Italy 503 and the xforce 450 mosfet -- both (claim) ab bias -- and both got reports of clean audio. A filter was used to diminish splatter -- but that's only because of paranoia -- ran both w/o the filter and radios/tv/toasters did not get splattered on... but when breaking the law; a little bit of a paranoia is healthy...

ka3nxn

Premium Subscriber
I'm a ham that started with CB and to this day still run one in the shack. I have nothing against my roots, It's a great start, my recommendation is that when the bug to go bigger and better hits, and if you stay in the hobby long enough, it will than do it right got to the ham license then you can legally get all the nice toys you want. But like me don't forget your roots. I still have a lot of friends that I talk to on channel 29 and it's been alms 30 years since I got my ticket. The hams I have issues with are the ones who bad mouth the CB but they forget that's where they started. I had one guy who was the biggest hypocrite
every chance he had to bad mouth a cb he would be the first one to do it. One time I was invited to his shack and he stepped out of the room for a bit and I was curious about something that he had covered up by a blanket, it was a fully tricked out Cobra 2000 with twin speakers and all the goodies
all hooked up and turned on, but the volume turned down. What an ***

sloop

amps.

I do not condone using linear amps on CB freqs.....but if you are intent on running illegal then save up some money and invest in an amateur transceiver such as the Icom 718 (abt $400 used). You will have 100 watts and a CLEAN signal. If it must be...I had rather have someone with a clean signal than a signal that 'splatters' all over the band. My personal opinion is to use a antenna tuner (for low SWR) and a GOOD antenna. I have talked to the Kansas from NC with 2.5 watts SSB on 20 meters so power is not always critical. Ask any ham that is an avid QRPer (operates low power). The secret is the antenna. Good luck and if you decide on an amateur radio you will have one to use when you get your ham license.

sdeeter19555

The main thing that gets people in trouble is thinking they have to wring every last watt out of an amplifier (the classic "mine's bigger than yours"). If you run it sensibly, they really don't work half bad (even a class c)...over drive one, and you're toaster will be talking to you. If you take care in setting up an CB station, they are really no different than running an AM ham station...but that's where most come off the rails. Some may argue that ham rigs are better quality (and most ham rigs are, not really arguing that point), but a lot of it comes down to the operator and how hard they push their equipment.

That said, I would stick with the bare radio because its working for you...when I had my base setup at my last house; it was a radio (Uniden Grant XL), 10 amp power supply, and homemade dipole antenna...doesn't get much simpler than that! If anything, I would consider upgrading to a better quality radio, have it gone through by a respectable tech, and enjoy.

kb2vxa

Banned
You've got the right idea Cat, if you don't know what you're doing don't do it. One of my major points some may overlook is "spectral purity". Just because an amp SOUNDS clean doesn't mean it is, behind the scenes it could be spitting out all sorts of RF crud that can cause interference. Amateur equipment need not be FCC certified but still it must pass very strict requirements as to what it sends "up the pipe" but CB amps being illegal to begin with are another matter entirely.

RiverRat1976

Hooking up an amp is childs play. Find a good amplifier like a Texas Star or FatBoyAmp.com

Antenna coax in to amp, jumper from amp to radio. Make sure the radio is 2.5 to 4 watts output power. If you're using this on a base station, then the power supply for the amp is the expensive part. I have a 5 pill Fat Boy here on my base station with a 100 amp power supply built by Destroyer Amps. I use an Antron-99 antenna an talk skip all the time. Don't fear when the HAMS say "Don't Do It" (just go do it) They don't like the lawlessness of CB radio since we don't have to answer to Uncle Charlie anymore. The FCC has better things to do other than worry about some CB'er with an amplifier.

capten

I do not condone using linear amps on CB freqs.....but if you are intent on running illegal then save up some money and invest in an amateur transceiver such as the Icom 718

You don't condone the use of a linear on CB, but instead recommend the use of a ham radio on CB in the interests of spectral purity? Please .... it is illegal to use any transmitter on the CB bands that is not type accepted for it, clean signal or not. Why not just tell him to key up on the ham bands with his 718, too?

gewecke

Banned

.....May the nice neighbors cut your coax. :twisted:
Linear amplifiers are illegal on citizens band, Nuff said!

n9zas

k8krh

If you ever get an amp which there are thousands used on cb,you have to turn your power down in your radio to around 3 watts or in some amps you will fry it.......
DOCTOR/795

kb2vxa

Banned
"Thanks for the tips and advice. I think I am just going to stick with what I have. I will leave the amps to the more experienced cb'rs."

That was posted on 4-25 but dead horses don't care how much you beat them. (;->)

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
If you have the xtra money to spare check in to a Cobra 29ltd classic have it peaked and tuned and have the local technician dead key to the amplifier which normally some people lower the dead key to 1 1/2 to 3 watts the most for the best performance with no problems hurting your radio, amplifier and antenna. If you or the technician don't set the dead key of your radio your going to fry your whole entire CB radio setup!

westbound

I have a trc 492 on the way,that I just bought,been running a cobra 29st as a base on dipole ant.Hope the navaho trc 492 does as well,at least I can do away with the dc power supply,made it from ATX PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.