Linear or Radio Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

darticus

I have a TYT handheld radio which is 2m and 70 cm. Works great but sometimes I need a little power to get through the noise. You pros probably know the best choice. Do I buy a small 20-30 watt linear or do I buy a 2m 70cm mobile radio? I'm new to this so I have to ask what are the best choices in this that won't kill my wallet? Xmas is coming and just thinking of what my wife might like to buy me. I have a great roof top antenna and a power pack already. Should I buy on the Internet suggestions needed. Thanks Ron

Last edited:

LtDoc

Guess that depends on what you use that HT for and why. If it's for short range and convenience, they tend to do just fine. The antenna used with any VHF/UHF radio is going to make more difference than just more power. That might be one suggestion. It'll reduce that portability, but would 'do' more than just more power.
If you are at home, same chair most of the time your radio is in use, I think I'd rather have a mobile or 'base' radio. They tend to have more 'bells-n-whistles' that may be handy, and more power to start with. It still goes back to that antenna being used though.
Not a very 'satisfying' answer, huh?
- 'Doc

darticus

Good answer'
Sounds like I should buy a 2 band 2M 70CM mobile and not the amp. Now what to buy? My base antenna is reasonably good (Diamond X510HDM) Now for some suggestions for reasonably priced quality mobiles. What about buying from internet stores? The mobile or base sounds good but I thought a base is tooo much money or is there something your not telling me. I would love a base but are ther affordable?Thanks Ron

Guess that depends on what you use that HT for and why. If it's for short range and convenience, they tend to do just fine. The antenna used with any VHF/UHF radio is going to make more difference than just more power. That might be one suggestion. It'll reduce that portability, but would 'do' more than just more power.
If you are at home, same chair most of the time your radio is in use, I think I'd rather have a mobile or 'base' radio. They tend to have more 'bells-n-whistles' that may be handy, and more power to start with. It still goes back to that antenna being used though.
Not a very 'satisfying' answer, huh?
- 'Doc

LtDoc

There aren't too many 'base' radios any moe, most are 12v powered. I think I'd rather have a mobile type radio which could be used either 'fixed' or mobile. Of course that means having a 12v power supply. They really aren't that expensive and will always come in handy for other things. Your antenna should work just fine, I would think. Most halfway modern radios will work just dandy. I'm a Kenwood fan so guess which I'd recommend.
- 'Doc

W2NJS

I own three Icom 208s, one at home, one in the car, and one at the ski condo, and in more than five years of use none of them have given me any problems whatsoever. You have a lot of things operationally to decide in this exercise, like crossband operation, dual displays or not, etc.

darticus

Someone once told me that some of the mobile radios would be able to scan and pick up close repeaters and store them and put in their pls automatically. Do you know what this is called? Is the Kenwood TMV71A a good radio? Thanks Ron

There aren't too many 'base' radios any Moe, most are 12v powered. I think I'd rather have a mobile type radio which could be used either 'fixed' or mobile. Of course that means having a 12v power supply. They really aren't that expensive and will always come in handy for other things. Your antenna should work just fine, I would think. Most halfway modern radios will work just dandy. I'm a Kenwood fan so guess which I'd recommend.
- 'Doc

LtDoc

Different brands/models of radios have different features. There are several that will do that scanning and finding of PL tones. A very good idea would be to take a look at all of them, decide on the features you want/need or would just like to have. Then make a decision.
I do think the TM-V71A is a nice radio, I have one. Also a '708 and a '700. Each have their pluses (and their own 'qwerks' just like any radio). The difference between that '71A and the TM-V710 is the control head, that's it. I didn't need the '710 head with the built in TNC so didn't get it. (That control head is almost another '71A!)
You decide what you want and act accordingly.
- 'Doc

(And as everybody knows, if you ain't got Kenwood, you got squat! Right? ;))

darticus

How are the Kenwoods TMV 71A for programing? Would you know how it compares to a yasue 8800 or8900. Thanks Ron

There aren't too many 'base' radios any moe, most are 12v powered. I think I'd rather have a mobile type radio which could be used either 'fixed' or mobile. Of course that means having a 12v power supply. They really aren't that expensive and will always come in handy for other things. Your antenna should work just fine, I would think. Most halfway modern radios will work just dandy. I'm a Kenwood fan so guess which I'd recommend.
- 'Doc

LtDoc

I find the TM-V71A easy to program (also have Kenwood's free program). I can't compare it to anything but a Yaesu FT-7800 which I've also owned. Using software the Yaesu wasn't hard to program, that's interring channel frequencies, not configuring the radio, it wouldn't do that. Kenwood's software does the configuring too. I have no idea if the '8800 or F'8900 programming is like the '7800's, so won't even try to guess about them.
- 'Doc

SCPD

QRT
It's a tad expensive (compared to just purchasing a dual band mobile) but if you want a 45watt/35watt out, mirage makes an amp that you would connect your antenna out on your portable to, then connect a mobile antenna.

Entire setup would be close to $250...

Though like most said, it's probably best to just get a decent UHF/VHF antenna and work with that. Or upgrade your portable's antenna to a longer whip.

Status
Not open for further replies.