Linix Distro for Live USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

LubeckTech

Premium Subscriber
I wish to setup a 16gb or 32gb USB drive from which I could run a Linix Distro with GNU radio installed. I want to have a USB drive from which I could boot any computer with enough hardware requirements and use GNU radio with a RTL SDR. I have played around with Linix in the past running it from a live CD and installing it as a stand alone install plus or dual boot. There are many incarnations of Linix and I am not sure which one would work best for this application. I am leaning towards some version of Lubuntu (used it before) but don't know what the latest version is and if it could run GNU radio. I am very new to GNU radio but want to learn about it.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
You may find some of the newer computers will not boot due to the UEFI replacing the old BIOS configuration. Most of the newest Linux distros are compatible with UEFI, but some computers make it difficult if not impossible to recognize a USB drive as a boot device.

LubeckTech

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Guys!!

Currently I am experimenting with Lubuntu 16 and will try Mint 18.
I have already hit the UEFI issue on a Quad core Toshiba Satellite that I really want to use. Tried Using all 3 of the MBR options the latest versions of Rufus offers with no joy. At this point I don't know enough about UEFI to proceed further. I will search for information but if anyone could point me to a source of good information I would appreciate it. What is the best utility for configuring USB drives to boot in an UEFI enviorment??

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
There's a Skywave Linux that's designed specifically to work with SDR receivers/dongles. It's based on Ubuntu. I believe you can boot it from a USB stick. Skywave Linux

I have tried it booting from a live CD. It works well. SDR Sharp runs right out of the box, with very little configuring. I don't know if it supports Gnuradio though.

LubeckTech

Premium Subscriber
Thanks JW!!

I try to keep up with SDR stuff but this one is one that zoomed right over my head.
Downloading it now and working on the UEFI stuff. I have done some reading and Windows setting manipulation but no joy just yet with my Toshiba SatelliteS855D-S5120. I might have to invest in another laptop but think I can get this one to work if I keep after it. I have been an Electronics Tech since 1980 and generally prefer Toshiba or Matsu****a (Panasonic) products but I have found this particular laptop to be rather
"Quirky".

Status
Not open for further replies.