Linn county's new Internet protocol based interoperability system

Status
Not open for further replies.

IowaBrian

Didn't want to start a new thread but Monday they were testing Area11 on 800. Maybe they will get some sort of chan that everyone can use :) .

IowaBrian

But it was the first time that I heard someone on it, it was just radio service i believe, just a lot of testing 1 2 3 4 5 over and over.

timkilbride

Database Admin
But it was the first time that I heard someone on it, it was just radio service i believe, just a lot of testing 1 2 3 4 5 over and over.

I only hear the ISP on it from time to time advising Linn Co of a 10-46 somewhere or something similar. Also hear Pocahontas County Sheriff dispatcher as both repeaters(here and there) have the same input frequency and tone.

Tim K.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I have been hearing some techs on racom 800 doing some testing today. At one point I heard the same audio coming over the Linn County EMA repeater. Just thought I would advise of my findings.

TimK.

IowaGuy1603

One of the Linn Co deputies was involved in a chase Monday in Northern Cedar Rapids. As it continued IN TOWN the LC Sgt advised dispatch to get everyone on Area 11 and notify CRPD and Marion PD (it was pretty close to the border between)
The dispatcher NEVER told the county units to go to Area 11 but instead continued to dispatch on F1. CRPD or Marion never came up on Area 11. The deputy finally transmitted on Area 11 just before the driver bailed into an apartment complex........................then he was out on HT on F1 and all the other county units were talking to him on Area 11.

As they were searching the area for the driver a ISP unit called one of the deputies on A-11 and called, and called. Dispatch finally relayed for him.

Another disaster in waiting .............................

What I don't understand is that the system used to work quite well. All units monitored A-11 and the dispatches actually ANSWERED other agencies calls on the frequency. The last year or so.................not so much.

IowaBrian

I have been hearing more on Area 11, Area Units have been using it when going out on there county calls as it seems to have more power then State Fire that is weak for me and I have external antenna and boosters. If they can use Area 11 on CR 800 it is crystal clear. It seems like the small towns fire depts have 800 radios and are able to switch to a freq that everyone can talk on so why can LEA's get into the act. The old days of switching to LEA are about gone only one that seems to use that is State and maybe county.
Now they just need to fix the hospital calls on state ems it seems like they need a repeater as the hospital or unit can't hear eachother half the time. Talk about a system that needs to work and doesn't they might as well just call on a cell phone to the ER. Done with my rant for this week.

Wonder when Iowa City (JO County) will get their system up and running? That will be something new to pick on for a while :) .

w0fg

Now they just need to fix the hospital calls on state ems it seems like they need a repeater as the hospital or unit can't hear eachother half the time. Talk about a system that needs to work and doesn't they might as well just call on a cell phone to the ER.. ...

That's exactly what they do around here. All the radio is used for is to notify dispatch of enroute and arrived. Patient reports went away with HIPPA and the Privacy Act.

littona

Super Freq
Premium Subscriber
That's exactly what they do around here. All the radio is used for is to notify dispatch of enroute and arrived. Patient reports went away with HIPPA and the Privacy Act.

You'll hear patient reports from LifeNet and other aircraft. They're still done, but within HIPPA guidelines. If you were being flown in to a hospital as a trauma patient, you'd want the receiving doctor to know as much as possible before you "show up"!

IowaBrian

All of the reports are in the clear around here well as long as you can receive 800 P25 State EMS is just like the old days your hear them dialing in as I always called it daa daadaaadaaaa daaaadaaaaa Hospital can you copy pause try again then dial again crap hope i am not in that unit if the medics need authorization to give me meds. They just don't give names, there is no violation of health information unless you are able to piece together info from other sources and then it can be hard. No different then saying code blue in room 212 at the hospital unless you know who is in that room no violation is taking place. Just a bunch of over reacting.

IowaGuy1603

IowaBrian;1261755I said:
Now they just need to fix the hospital calls on state ems it seems like they need a repeater as the hospital or unit can't hear eachother half the time. Talk about a system that needs to work and doesn't they might as well just call on a cell phone to the ER. Done with my rant for this week.

It was never designed to be a long distance communication tool. In the 1970's when the system was set up ------it was used to call in basic information to the hospital as the ambulance was nearing the hospital. It was never designed to give details or telemetry. The hospitals were outfitted with 100 W transmitters and a tall (for the time) antenna structure. There were very few electronics in the ambulance at the time and an ER didn't have much RF rolling around the area to interfere with the signal. Today there is more RF in the ER and other areas of the hospital than in any ham shack.....................

Today-----most of the hospitals have upgraded their radios (ambulances also) but still have the same old antenna structure they built in the 70's.

Also remember that the EMS and Fire radios are all on simplex operation. The design was never set up with frequency pairs for repeater operator.

Rather than upgrading, the outlaying EMS departments decided that using cell phones were less expensive and more private than going to repeaters. Anamosa has a EMS repeater that pretty much covers the whole county.......works pretty well. (There are even a couple new towers in the county now)

All of the reports are in the clear around here well as long as you can receive 800 P25 State EMS is just like the old days your hear them dialing in as I always called it daa daadaaadaaaa daaaadaaaaa Hospital can you copy pause try again then dial again crap hope i am not in that unit if the medics need authorization to give me meds. They just don't give names, there is no violation of health information unless you are able to piece together info from other sources and then it can be hard. No different then saying code blue in room 212 at the hospital unless you know who is in that room no violation is taking place. Just a bunch of over reacting.

the paramedics have standing orders if they can not get into the hospital.....

The HIPPA laws are not nearly restrictive as people think they are....................once again a bit of over reacting.......
I don't listen to P25 (I can't justify the cost to the mrs yet) I really hear much on state EMS but do on the county because of Jones EMS repeater!!!!

Last edited:

IowaBrian

Any new news on this .....?

I did hear a Linn County Car on CRPD F1 couple days ago but that was direct traffic to CRPD 10 seconds after they sent a call out to their cars for what the Linn County car rolled into.

Status
Not open for further replies.