Linn county's new Internet protocol based interoperability system

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkilbride

Database Admin
Last week CRPD was chasing a subject on foot. Linn Co SO was nearby to assist. I did hear the dispatcher tell a CRPD officer she would patch the county in so they could talk. The CRPD officer said it wouldn't be necessary. I believe she did so anyways.

Whats the point of having the AREA 11 mut aid setup? The VHF/UHF frequencies are hard patched to a TG on the Cedar Rapids TRS.

Tim K.

IowaGuy1603

They have been working on this system for several years. The Area 11 system works well for CRPD/Marion/Linn County/ISP but like last year during the flood, they had departments from all over the midwest in town---------and of course lost both CRPD and Linn County dispatches for a couple days.

This system is basically a voice over IP type set up and is software controlled. Next yr when Johnson County is up and running.............they will be included too_Operators should be able to add frequency groups with a click of the mouse.

IowaBrian

I have not seen this in use yet maybe I missed it they could have used it last night with their chase, they had county and city cars in the chase and the dispatchers were on the phone talking to each other. So the system isn't working or they forgot to use it. Marion, CRPD, Linn Co and State(state did a 10-22 as it was over before they got there.
This started as armed robery in Marion with gun, car was then spotted by a Linn Co car and followed to 380 before more units could catch up and start the take down. Shocking they didn't stop and CRPD used sticks to kill the tires and it ended short time later at a gas station parking lot with no shots fired and 2 going to jail. This new system was not used in the 15 minutes it took all of this to happen. I am sure it is on the tapes it was about 7:00 last night. I had to keep switching from CO to City to figure out what was going on and who they caught as Co took one and a City car took the other.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I have not seen this in use yet maybe I missed it they could have used it last night with their chase, they had county and city cars in the chase and the dispatchers were on the phone talking to each other. So the system isn't working or they forgot to use it. Marion, CRPD, Linn Co and State(state did a 10-22 as it was over before they got there.
This started as armed robery in Marion with gun, car was then spotted by a Linn Co car and followed to 380 before more units could catch up and start the take down. Shocking they didn't stop and CRPD used sticks to kill the tires and it ended short time later at a gas station parking lot with no shots fired and 2 going to jail. This new system was not used in the 15 minutes it took all of this to happen. I am sure it is on the tapes it was about 7:00 last night. I had to keep switching from CO to City to figure out what was going on and who they caught as Co took one and a City car took the other.

I wonder why they didn't use the AREA 11 mutual aid system? Kind of a waste of money to NOT use a tool they have available to them. A lot less heachache for the dispatchers too.

Tim K

IowaGuy1603

460.275 is being used as a car-t-car frequency between LC and MPD. Many people don't have that on their scanners. They might have been using it.

I think it is a continuous link because I hear LC cars on it all the time.....................I can also hear them on 155.610 at the same time

Don't know why they didn't use the voice over ip interop . Maybe the dispatchers are not fully trained yet

Signal3and2

Premium Subscriber
I also noticed that they didn't use Area 11, the CRPD dispatchers kept asking LCSO to switch their cars to Area 11 or LEA, but the deputies said "they were too busy". Listen ******** you can't be too busy just driving down the interstate to take 3 seconds and switch your radio to a different frequency so ALL the units can here you? That's an officer safety issue. On that note, it really would have been nice if CRPD or LCSO would have just 'patched in' the other agency with this new system, then they wouldn't have had to ask the officers to do anything. So either it failed, or something happened.

What a cluster, the troopers wanted them to switch to LEA, CRPD wanted thm to switch to Mutual Aid, and the dispatchers wanted them to switch to Area 11. I have an idea, use this expensive new system!

Also, they were not using the MPD/LCSO LINK, as LCSO wasn't originally involved with the robbery investigation, and MPD was never in on the chase.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I also noticed that they didn't use Area 11, the CRPD dispatchers kept asking LCSO to switch their cars to Area 11 or LEA, but the deputies said "they were too busy". Listen ******** you can't be too busy just driving down the interstate to take 3 seconds and switch your radio to a different frequency so ALL the units can here you? That's an officer safety issue. On that note, it really would have been nice if CRPD or LCSO would have just 'patched in' the other agency with this new system, then they wouldn't have had to ask the officers to do anything. So either it failed, or something happened.

What a cluster, the troopers wanted them to switch to LEA, CRPD wanted thm to switch to Mutual Aid, and the dispatchers wanted them to switch to Area 11. I have an idea, use this expensive new system!

Also, they were not using the MPD/LCSO LINK, as LCSO wasn't originally involved with the robbery investigation, and MPD was never in on the chase.

The troopers have AREA 11 in thier radios. Is there a patch on the Cedar Rapids TRS for mutual aid or is mutual aid refered to as AREA 11? None the less.

I'm fairly certain LCSO was patched into the Cedar Rapids TRS a couple weeks back when they were looking for a subject. The CRPD officer still had to change is radio channel, he was running on DISPATCH, but after the patch they moved everything to like F3 or something similar.

Tim K.

timkilbride

Database Admin
460.275 is being used as a car-t-car frequency between LC and MPD. Many people don't have that on their scanners. They might have been using it.

I think it is a continuous link because I hear LC cars on it all the time.....................I can also hear them on 155.610 at the same time

Don't know why they didn't use the voice over ip interop . Maybe the dispatchers are not fully trained yet

Most everyone has 155.61 in there scanner. Really no need for 460.275.

Tim K.

IowaGuy1603

The troopers have AREA 11 in thier radios. Is there a patch on the Cedar Rapids TRS for mutual aid or is mutual aid refered to as AREA 11? None the less.

I'm fairly certain LCSO was patched into the Cedar Rapids TRS a couple weeks back when they were looking for a subject. The CRPD officer still had to change is radio channel, he was running on DISPATCH, but after the patch they moved everything to like F3 or something similar.

Tim K.

That was when they were playing with the voice over IP system.

Like I said ,,,,,,don't know why they didn't use it the other night, but they didn't. My guess is it is not fully operational yet.

Area 11 has been patched into the TRS system since CRPD went with their system. I don't understand why the deputies wouldn't go to Area 11-------------they never have been shy about using it in the past. I do know they have several brand new road deputies.....but that shouldn 't make a difference.

IowaGuy1603

Most everyone has 155.61 in there scanner. Really no need for 460.275.

Tim K.

The point I was trying to make is that this a link between two systems that is pretty much permanent. There is no need for anyone to do anything if the two sets of officers want to communicate.

I like to listen to input frequencies as well as the repeated product.

timkilbride

Database Admin
The point I was trying to make is that this a link between two systems that is pretty much permanent. There is no need for anyone to do anything if the two sets of officers want to communicate.

I like to listen to input frequencies as well as the repeated product.

I'm just curious here, why do you like to listen to the input frequencies?

I used to have scanner setup so the scanner would "scan" the input frequency before the output frequency for the state patrol. This was in my car of course. I won't list the reason why I did this, but I think you probably get what I was trying to do ;)

Before I was 16 and limited to a bike, I had to put the input frequency for the sheriff's repeater before the repeater output frequency. If the city cop was with in 3 blocks of me, it would desense my scanner and I couldn't hear what he was saying.

Tim

IowaGuy1603

I'm just curious here, why do you like to listen to the input frequencies?

I used to have scanner setup so the scanner would "scan" the input frequency before the output frequency for the state patrol. This was in my car of course. I won't list the reason why I did this, but I think you probably get what I was trying to do ;)

Before I was 16 and limited to a bike, I had to put the input frequency for the sheriff's repeater before the repeater output frequency. If the city cop was with in 3 blocks of me, it would desense my scanner and I couldn't hear what he was saying.

Tim

Much the same reasons why you have in the past.

I live in a place where there isn't going to be anyone desensing my receivers.

We still have some people around here who use a "talk around" IE inputs without repeater tones ....to talk car to car so to speak

I also like to monitor ham repeater inputs......................that comes from being on our repeater team (ham club)

IowaBrian

Still have not seen this used. I have a contact at work that has contacts with CRPD will see if they can find anything out.

emtcasey

Premium Subscriber
Muscatine Scanners

Muscatine has just added MDT or MDC, depending on the term the officer/dispatch uses, to their cars and updated the radio systems. The PD is P25 digital and the MCSO is analog. The update added a system that allows MUSCOM to "link" MPD and MCSO to talk on one freq while staying on their own channel. Which is good becasue the MPD portables are not programed for anything other then MPD and MFD. I am not sure what the system is but it seemed to work okay during a bank robbery a few weeks ago, although the T-Cars that came to help were left in the dark and had to have things relayed to them by MUSCOM.

IowaBrian

Linn County

here is a little more info on the system

So it is a Harris System http://www.pspc.harris.com/products/brochure/ECR-7604D.pdf surprise and Linn Co will be connected to RACOM and the county saying that they will have to spend some money in the future for new radios...... I can only guess they will go RACOM.

Took them until today to move back to their building after the flood, the company that I work for has been back for over a year can only guess how long it would take them to get off the old VHF system.

Last edited:

IowaGuy1603

Linn County

here is a little more info on the system

So it is a Harris System http://www.pspc.harris.com/products/brochure/ECR-7604D.pdf surprise and Linn Co will be connected to RACOM and the county saying that they will have to spend some money in the future for new radios...... I can only guess they will go RACOM.

Took them until today to move back to their building after the flood, the company that I work for has been back for over a year can only guess how long it would take them to get off the old VHF system.

The upgrades Sheriff Gardner was talking about is rebanding issues.....I highly doubt a P25 system as they dismissed it in the past and have digital capabilities now......and don't use it because the system stinks out in the county. Don't plan on seeing them on RACOM anytime soon.......They also already have an LTR system that they use in the jail.......they could expand that if they wish......

The news release you linked stated that they now are CONNECTED to the RACOM network....not that they are going to be ON the RACOM network.

Hopefully I'll see Brian Gardner in the next couple weeks------If not I plan on having coffee with one of their former dispatchers next week.....................he might know what's going on too.

Linn County decided to use their resources to rebuild the Jail so they could get some revenue coming back into the SO.The incentive to concentrate on the jail is the fact that it brings in about 4 million dollars a year in housing fees from the USMS and other counties.

The also prioritized the "fixing" of the Court House. That was a plan decided upon by the Supervisors and the Sheriff. As soon as they got the jail up and running (still have some work to do on that to finish it ) THEN they started working on the office building. They totally remodeled and moved a lot of essential services to the 2nd floor that were previously on the ground floor. They actually only started on the project at the office building about 2 1/2 months ago.
The supervisors STILL haven't decided on where they are going to have their offices yet!

Last edited:

IowaBrian

I was just guessing they might go to RACOM I would stay the way they are as it seems to work even F2 for the most part comes in clear for me so they should be good to go, I believe in if it works keeps it, until age and cost of repair tell you it is time to replace.

I was just saying took them like all government forever to get their buildings back up. I know the jail and court house needed to be up and running, but it wasn't like they couldn't have someone in there getting the place fixed. It just sat there with a fence around it like any other flood property. I am sure money was the big issue since there are plenty of contract workers around. The only field that I know of that is or was very busy was IT install and service. They built a new RR bridge, and new private parking ramp downtown, and have started the new Federal Court House before they got moved in. That is just slow.

IowaGuy1603

I was just guessing they might go to RACOM I would stay the way they are as it seems to work even F2 for the most part comes in clear for me so they should be good to go, I believe in if it works keeps it, until age and cost of repair tell you it is time to replace.

I was just saying took them like all government forever to get their buildings back up. I know the jail and court house needed to be up and running, but it wasn't like they couldn't have someone in there getting the place fixed. It just sat there with a fence around it like any other flood property. I am sure money was the big issue since there are plenty of contract workers around. The only field that I know of that is or was very busy was IT install and service. They built a new RR bridge, and new private parking ramp downtown, and have started the new Federal Court House before they got moved in. That is just slow.

And they still haven't decided on the Library, City Hall, Central Fire Station, CR Theater, Paramount or the County Office building. ALL GOVERNMENT buildings.

Many of the businesses took insurance, FEMA and borrowed up the yazoo to get open so as to generate revenue. BLEND just closed because they borrowed too much with too little $$$ coming in to make it work. The RR bridge had to get put back in because it was killing CRANDIC in fees going around it. It was cheaper to build a new bridge than pay out the money.

The government is still trying to get FEMA to payout to them. FEMA did good for the small fry, but it goes a lot slower for us in the gov. I think we are still waiting on some of the payout for housing LC prisoners.

One of the reasons you can't run a government like a business like many politicians want to.

IowaGuy1603

I just saw on the 5 pm news (1/13/10) that the Linn County Jail is going to start on round 2 of flood mitigation measures. They got the building up and running in May so they could start holding prisoners and start collecting revenue. Much of the work was temporary bandaid type stuff just to get the building occupied.

Then the department started mitigating their office building and now that they are done with that, they will focus on making more modifications to the jail. A lot of moving of utility services to upper floors needs to be done to make the mitigation more permanent.

I know they have to build some extensions to one of the sallyports so they can place generators and stuff above the ground level

Status
Not open for further replies.