• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

List of flash options for XTS5000/2500 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SD70MAC

Does anyone have a list a the options you can have an XTS5000/2500 flashed with. I am looking to buy a XTS5000 VHF m3 or XTS2500 I know I want Q52 & Q53 but want to see options. Does the dealer flash the option or does the depot ?

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I think you need Motorola to flash the option for FPP. Its suppose to be a restricted government option, but I think if you have the right amount of cash you can get it

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I think you need Motorola to flash the option for FPP. Its suppose to be a restricted government option, but I think if you have the right amount of cash you can get it

He will be able to get the Q53 option that requires the dongle, but I highly doubt that he will be able to get Q52 and Q53 even with a ham license or a high amount of cash.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Why might that be?
Is it restricted to all non-government persons? Thats my guess

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Yes that would be correct. The radio is Part 90 type accepted and have specific rules that it must adhere to on being able to program it on the fly from the keypad.

As to your original question, these are the options that are valid with the XTS5000..

Q806 ASTRO Digital Operation
H14 Enhanced Digital ID Display
Q52 Federal Government FPP
Q498 Hardware Multikey Encryption w/ OTAR
H43 Trunked Radio Trace / Remote Monitor
H46 Trunked One Touch Status Message
G996 Over the Air Provisioning
H38 SMARTZONE Systems Operation
H37 SMARTNET Systems Operation
H35 Conventional Systems Operation
G857 FDNY Emergency Rx/Tx Tone Set
Q947 APCO Packet Data Interface
Q53 FCC FPP And Radio Cloning
Q387 Conventional Voting Scan
Q173 SMARTZONE OMNILINK Multizone Operation
Q182 Radio Control Protocol
Q361 ASTRO 25 9600 Baud Trunking
Q445 Fireground Accountability Software
Q446 Channel Announcement
Q667 ADP Encryption Software DSP Based Only

ElroyJetson

Getting tired of all the stupidity.
Somewhere between the Scylla and Charybdis
If you can prove that you're a real radio technician with a legitimate need to field program frequency data via FPP, it's possible to get that option. I've read the relevant regulations and this IS allowed for.

I have FPP in my 5K and it gets used fairly often specifically to support my VHF customers in the field.

Elroy

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
But the question is can he get Q52/Q53 that doesn't require the dongle?

I believe he will only be able to get the FCC Q53 option even if we can prove he has a need as a radio service provider. He will not be able to get a new radio with Q52 unless he is a Federal User that operates under NTIA rules.

ElroyJetson

Given the phenomenal number of FPP-enabled radios on ebay, I think it's safe to say that someone cracked the flashcode system for the XTS 2500/5000s. Unfortunately, I have it on good authority
that some of those radios are also hotter than hell. I wouldn't even THINK of buying any of them
without first checking the serial number with Motorola to see if it's on the hot sheet.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
You betcha those radios are red hot
I've seen most come from pawn shops, only a few actually came from someone who knows how they got em. But there is that one shop from Asia, Panter88 I believe it is - I heard those are demo radios that were knocked around and sent out

ElroyJetson

QCII? That's a standard feature of XTS5Ks. I've never seen one without it.

The Panter88 radios are legit but I've also heard that they were used in accelerated life testing. This doesn't mean they're bad radios but they should be given a thorough checkout. Water leaks and corrosion damage will kill a radio in the future even if it's working fine today.

I've bought some parts from him and they were all perfectly good.

Last edited:

operator219

(please excuse my ignorance in some area's) I work for a security contract company and wanted my own portable and purchased one from a person in the company and it's a XTS-5000 and has FPP and when the tech wen't to program he said it has FPP he can't touch this. Any ideas on how to check on the serial # ? If this is a hot radio I don't want it but maybe could attempt to get my money back from the previous owner or some other means. Why is FPP only a government function ?

bezking

Provided your radio actually has a serial tag (a white label under the battery), you run it through Trace.com (make sure you do the serial, which looks like 000AAA0000 and not the Model Number) and it will tell you.

FPP is only a government function because FCC rules don't allow most users to have access to a radio that can have it's frequencies modified through the keypad. Of course Ham users are an exception, but Moto does not market these radios to hams, so they don't allow anybody outside of the feds to have it.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I think what the tech meant was that he couldn't touch it because it has FPP which is most likely restricted for your use. FPP is what is available to the feds and such. It wasn't meant to be in your hands!
But isn't it awesome!

mancow

Database Admin
.......... Why is FPP only a government function ?

It's along the line of the same reasoning as to why you and I pay for health care and our retirement while Congress does not. Those who make rules and regulations carve out their own exceptions.

I don't know why your tech is freaking out. 90% of the astro25 units on the used market are FPP.

operator219

wow thanks for the advice @bezking I do have the white label and have run it through an nothing came up, weird I am at a loss of what to do at this point. I will obviously not be using this anymore.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
Your tech probably won't touch it because it doesn't program the same way any other XTS5000s in his fleet do, therefore no cloning or drag and drop of data. He would have to write a whole new codeplug just for one user, which something most techs just will not do.

BTW, bumping a 2009 thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.