List of frequencies used in movie productions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good morning! I'm seeking a list of UHF analog frequencies used in movie shoots (LA County-ish area). I haven't had much luck with goggle. Can anyone provide me a list or link, please? It seems from previous experience these are UHF, analog frequencies. I assume there is no PL tone involved? Itinerant? I don't have a scanner or frequency counter just yet. I have to assume they still film movies in the Hollywood area, right? Thank you ahead of time for any help you can provide!

ecps92

My East Coast experience is they rent from the local radio shop
Best to search 450-470, don't rule out the 465-470 inputs being used for simplex

Good morning! I'm seeking a list of UHF analog frequencies used in movie shoots (LA County-ish area). I haven't had much luck with goggle. Can anyone provide me a list or link, please? It seems from previous experience these are UHF, analog frequencies. I assume there is no PL tone involved? Itinerant? I don't have a scanner or frequency counter just yet. I have to assume they still film movies in the Hollywood area, right? Thank you ahead of time for any help you can provide!

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Radios used during a shoot are likely going to be rented, and the frequencies used will be licensed by the rental company, not the studio.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
A production company that I'm associated with uses itinerant DMR HT's. There are frequencies allocated to motion picture production. I ruled them out due to the requirement for frequency coordination in the licensing process. Our itinerant licenses are good nationwide and do not require coordination. The suggestion that rental units are used is also good. That gives you local coverage possibly through a repeater and someone else has done the necessary homework with the FCC.

WB9YBM

I'm curious if they'd also use something in the cordless microphone frequency range? (Maybe at least like when the production company films a stage act [band, singing group, etc.]?)

ecps92

Wireless MIC Frequencies may/will/do vary by Production Company
I'm curious if they'd also use something in the cordless microphone frequency range? (Maybe at least like when the production company films a stage act [band, singing group, etc.]?)

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Every time I've run across them, they've always been on the common UHF itinerant frequencies. Often the radios are rented, and since the rental company doesn't always know where they are going to be used, the itinerant pool is a good place for them.

Start looking around 464.500, 464.550, etc.

marcotor

I ♥ÆS Ø
Feed Provider
The companies I have done work for (as a vendor) in SoCal, have nearly always had rental units. Of late, I see mostly CP200(D) types as some of the rental companies have moved to DMR. Check the systems of the bigger outfits like MRA, Sandy's, Bearcom, etc.

Every time I've run across them, they've always been on the common UHF itinerant frequencies. Often the radios are rented, and since the rental company doesn't always know where they are going to be used, the itinerant pool is a good place for them.

Start looking around 464.500, 464.550, etc.

Do you think they would use a PL tone?

The companies I have done work for (as a vendor) in SoCal, have nearly always had rental units. Of late, I see mostly CP200(D) types as some of the rental companies have moved to DMR. Check the systems of the bigger outfits like MRA, Sandy's, Bearcom, etc.

I've seen a lot of CP200's, non-digital-just analog. I can't imagine anyone in the industry would like the transmit delay......

ecps92

DPL is more common, if you look at the references we have seen here in New England, but that maybe just that Vendor renting to them
and PL/DPL is needed, if in a major market area, due to the heavy use of RF, otherwise the Production would be subject to listening to
the local Crane Ops, Bus, Schools, Ambulance services etc never mind IDAS, NXDN, P25 on the same channels
Do you think they would use a PL tone?

footage

Premium Subscriber
In San Francisco a major rental company offers XPR7550e radios programmed with 18 DMR simplex UHF channels. Can't recall the vendor's name this morning, but I looked at the HTs and found the probable freqs in their FCC licenses. This was the first time I'd seen DMR rental radios.

Status
Not open for further replies.