List of Key Codes for Remote Control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deskins

Is there any documentation listing the KEY_CODEs available to send to the BCDx36HP models over the serial connection?

I found one source indicating the following command pattern:
Controller → Radio KEY,[KEY_CODE],[KEY_MODE][\r]

However, it didn't appear to show the keys for the BCDx36HP models.

As one example, I would like to be able to send the command simulating someone pressing the Channel key to hold on a channel, but I don't know what the KEY_CODE is for that or System and Dept keys.

Thanks for any help.

PiccoIntegra

Premium Subscriber
Is there any documentation listing the KEY_CODEs available to send to the BCDx36HP models over the serial connection?
Nope, there hasn't been any technical documentation released on the new models.

As one example, I would like to be able to send the command simulating someone pressing the Channel key to hold on a channel, but I don't know what the KEY_CODE is for that or System and Dept keys
You're going to have to make some educated guesses here. The good news is, there are only 26 letters in the alphabet.

For example, KEY,A,P[\r] for Avoid, or KEY,Z,P[\r] for Zip... etc

Report your findings so others looking for the same info don't have to go through this too.

deskins

I took a shot in the dark, guessing that the Channel button was key code "C". That worked! Following that same line of thinking, I then figured Department was "D" - but no luck.

Second guess I found that the System, Department, and Channel buttons appear to be "A", "B", and "C" respectively - at least that's what I got working on my BCD436HP from a test app.

Will post followups as I come across others.

PhillyPhoto

Here's what I came up with on my 436 just using "echo KEY,*,P[\r] > COM#" in the command prompt (replace * with the capital letter or number, replace # with your serial port).

KEY,A,P[\r] = SYSTEM
KEY,B,P[\r] = DEPARTMENT
KEY,C,P[\r] = CHANNEL
KEY,Q,P[\r] = 0
KEY,E,P[\r] = ENTER
KEY,R,P[\r] = 0
KEY,T,P[\r] = 0
KEY,S,P[\r] = 0
KEY,F,P[\r] = FUNC
KEY,H,P[\r] = 0
KEY,Z,P[\r] = ZIP
KEY,V,P[\r] = LIGHT
KEY,M,P[\r] = MENU
KEY,L,P[\r] = AVOID
KEY,[0-9],P[\r] = [0-9]

Last edited:

deskins

One additional key I found was the dot/NO - KEY,.,P[\r] = ./NO

Added below to the findings from PhillyPhoto:

KEY,A,P[\r] = SYSTEM
KEY,B,P[\r] = DEPARTMENT
KEY,C,P[\r] = CHANNEL
KEY,Q,P[\r] = 0
KEY,E,P[\r] = ENTER
KEY,R,P[\r] = 0
KEY,T,P[\r] = 0
KEY,S,P[\r] = 0
KEY,F,P[\r] = FUNC
KEY,H,P[\r] = 0
KEY,Z,P[\r] = ZIP
KEY,V,P[\r] = LIGHT
KEY,M,P[\r] = MENU
KEY,L,P[\r] = AVOID
KEY,[0-9],P[\r] = [0-9]
KEY,.,P[\r] = ./NO

PhillyPhoto

I can't figure out the Replay/Record option. I got a replay option to show up with what I thought was P, but haven't been able to get it back since.

I got a little program together (the com port dropdown needs to be updated so it's not a static list) to run the functions more easily.

If you use it with http://forums.radioreference.com/un...285096-scanner-screen-software-436-536-a.html you won't even need your scanner nearby :) The only potential problem I can see is that the port would be already in-use from the Scanner Screen software so it wouldn't be able to send the commands.

Attachments

• Uniden_Controller.JPG
    Uniden_Controller.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 629

Minus1

You'd think Uniden would have the scanner accept an enquiry code and send out a list of valid codes. Like 'help' does in Unix. It's not exactly rocket science.

alphaacres

Premium Subscriber
I can't figure out the Replay/Record option. I got a replay option to show up with what I thought was P, but haven't been able to get it back since.

I got a little program together (the com port dropdown needs to be updated so it's not a static list) to run the functions more easily.

If you use it with http://forums.radioreference.com/un...285096-scanner-screen-software-436-536-a.html you won't even need your scanner nearby :) The only potential problem I can see is that the port would be already in-use from the Scanner Screen software so it wouldn't be able to send the commands.

You could use the other port and run both until you figure it out I run two different programs all the time with one scanner.

PhillyPhoto

You could use the other port and run both until you figure it out I run two different programs all the time with one scanner.

I don't have a serial cable, not to mention the gender changer and null modem adapter and GPS adapter. Not a bad idea though. Eventually I'd like to make an all-in-one program for reading and controlling the scanner so it can manage the port on it's own.

On a side note, I've also gotten SQL,*[\r] from the homebrew remote head thread.

Another interesting thing I stumbled upon is a couple other letters beside P at the end that work.

KEY,V,P[\r] = LIGHT Toggle
KEY,V,L[\r] = LIGHT Toggle
KEY,V,H[\r] = LIGHT OFF (doesn't turn it back on with the same command)

KEY,L,P[\r] = TOGGLE AVOID
KEY,L,H[\r] = Triggers ALL UNAVOIDED every now and then, not consistent
KEY,L,L[\r] = ALL UNAVOIDED

I need to figure out the Replay/Record key and the one that scrolls through the Menu. As of now, you can get to the menu, but you can only get back out or keep selecting the first option from each submenu.

deskins

Another interesting thing I stumbled upon is a couple other letters beside P at the end that work.

KEY,V,P[\r] = LIGHT Toggle
KEY,V,L[\r] = LIGHT Toggle
KEY,V,H[\r] = LIGHT OFF (doesn't turn it back on with the same command)

I believe the other letters associated with the KEY command are:

P: Press
L: Long Press
H: Hold (Press and Hold until Release receive)
R: Release (Cancel Hold state)

PhillyPhoto

I believe the other letters associated with the KEY command are:

P: Press
L: Long Press
H: Hold (Press and Hold until Release receive)
R: Release (Cancel Hold state)

That makes sense, no wonder I was having issues with buttons not working after using one with "H" lol

Digging around I found the BCD396XT Complete Reference. Page 224 has the key codes at that time. Some have carried over, but not all.

Last edited:

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
One additional key I found was the dot/NO - KEY,.,P[\r] = ./NO

Added below to the findings from PhillyPhoto:

KEY,A,P[\r] = SYSTEM
KEY,B,P[\r] = DEPARTMENT
KEY,C,P[\r] = CHANNEL
KEY,Q,P[\r] = 0
KEY,E,P[\r] = ENTER
KEY,R,P[\r] = 0
KEY,T,P[\r] = 0
KEY,S,P[\r] = 0
KEY,F,P[\r] = FUNC
KEY,H,P[\r] = 0
KEY,Z,P[\r] = ZIP
KEY,V,P[\r] = LIGHT
KEY,M,P[\r] = MENU
KEY,L,P[\r] = AVOID
KEY,[0-9],P[\r] = [0-9]
KEY,.,P[\r] = ./NO

Try;

KEY,<,P
KEY,>,P
KEY,^,P
KEY,OK

PhillyPhoto

Try;

KEY,<,P
KEY,>,P
KEY,^,P
KEY,OK

When I try that in the command prompt I get "The system cannot find the path specified." (echo KEY,<,P[\r] > COM5) I've even tried to escape it (echo KEY,\<,P[\r] > COM5) but get the same error.

Any tricks to pass that command?

PhillyPhoto

OK, I sat around with PuTTY for a little bit and ran through the 396 commands. Below are what I got a resonse other than "ERR" to. QSC is the only one I didn't do too much with simply because of the parameters needed, but it looks like it may work. That's good news to UniTrunker intergration and whatnot. The instructions are in the 396 complete reference, so I won't repost them here.

KEY - Push KEY (We all know this one)
QSC - Set current frequency and get reception status
PWR - Get RSSI Level
STS - Get Current Status
GLG - Get Reception Status
MDL - Get Model Info
VER - Get Firmware Version
WIN - Get Window Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.