Listen to Apco 25 Noise w/ Analog Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_D

Hi, all.

I see that California Highway Patrol in Sacramento has implemented digital extenders. I have a non-digital Uniden BCT15 and was wondering if I can nonetheless monitor the digital "noise" on those 700 MHz frequencies.

Why do this? If I assign an alert tone to those channels (and mute the audio), I've recreated the scanner's "Beartracker" functionality, but for Apco 25 extenders. On an analog scanner! Seemed like a fun thing to try.

I thought this would work except that, when programming the frequencies into my BCT15, the frequency's last decimal place is dropped. For example, frequency 769.16875 is stored as 769.1687. I don't know if this is a problem or not. Doesn't look good.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Dave

DickH

Hi, all.

I see that California Highway Patrol in Sacramento has implemented digital extenders. I have a non-digital Uniden BCT15 and was wondering if I can nonetheless monitor the digital "noise" on those 700 MHz frequencies.

Why do this? If I assign an alert tone to those channels (and mute the audio), I've recreated the scanner's "Beartracker" functionality, but for Apco 25 extenders. On an analog scanner! Seemed like a fun thing to try.

I thought this would work except that, when programming the frequencies into my BCT15, the frequency's last decimal place is dropped. For example, frequency 769.16875 is stored as 769.1687. I don't know if this is a problem or not. Doesn't look good.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Dave

Sounds as if it should work, but assuming the 700s are portables you won't hear them very far away. The freq. should be OK, The display may not be wide enough to display the final 5.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
If I assign an alert tone to those channels (and mute the audio), I've recreated the scanner's "Beartracker" functionality, but for Apco 25 extenders. On an analog scanner! Seemed like a fun thing to try.

Nice idea, I have an extra BC15X laying around, I may do the same thing here with our state police new extrender frequencies!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.