Listen to scanner over internet/LTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjuneau

Premium Subscriber
Simply put, I want to monitor/listen to my scanner (BCD536HP) while I'm away from home.

I have only one requirement, I don't want to have a dedicated computer running 24/7 for this project. Ideally, I'd like to use the existing "wireless" functionality of the scanner.

What options exist to me? I was hoping to get the Siren app to work with my OpenVPN & L2TP tunnels but the audio does not work. Lord knows Uniden has dropped all support for the app so waiting for an update is not an option. I hope someone out there has come up with a creative solution you can share with me!

Last edited:

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Have you searched for "infrastructure mode"? As I understand it, you should be able to connect via wifi to your home network. You should then be able to access it with the siren app any where you have internet access.

Jeff.

jjuneau

Premium Subscriber
Have you searched for "infrastructure mode"? As I understand it, you should be able to connect via wifi to your home network. You should then be able to access it with the siren app any where you have internet access.

Jeff.

Thanks for the suggestion. When I am home and connected to my wireless access point, I can use the Siren app with my radio with no problems.

The problem (no audio) starts when I leave my home network. Some users have worked around the "no audio" issue by using a VPN tunnel and launching the app. Well, I've tried configuring not one but two different types of VPN tunnels (L2TP and OpenVPN) and continue to receive no audio.

When connected through VPN the Siren app connects to my scanner and scans through the frequencies. However, no audio is present when it stops on a feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.