Listener controlled feed on BCD-396T

Status
Not open for further replies.

vees

Premium Subscriber
I've decided to do a little programming to integrate the serial port remote control of my BCD-396T into a public web page where listeners can vote on which talk-groups to activate in real-time.

The first iteration of this would be a simple web form with a list of active talk groups and channel banks currently active. Listeners could check off talk groups they did and didn't want to listen to. Depending on the number of most recent votes for a particular group, the web page would direct the scanner to turn certain banks on and off.

I'm sure over the next several weeks as I finish up the code this discussion will wander into the BCD-396T forum for technical tips and the Maryland Radio discussion for best memory bank arrangement of Baltimore County groups for the best break-out of precincts and fire districts, but I wanted to begin the discussion here.

First, I'm planning to make all the code open and available for anyone to use, and I would be happy if anyone else with any level of programming background wanted to help out. For now, all the source code and notes will be up at https://github.com/vees/bcd396t for anyone to use and improve. Anyone who would like to participate can just chime in here.

Second, I'd like to get some ideas from other radio streamers and listeners as to how this sort of thing might be useful to you. I'd also be interested if anyone else has already done this successfully, or even tried and failed but kept good notes on what went wrong.

Third, I'm interested in discussing how such a system would fit into the rules and TOS of RR streaming. It also would be neat to allow listeners to vote for a certain fire-ground channel if a multi-alarm fire was happening in their local area, or allow users to vote to activate tactical or ISU channels for their police precinct during a major incident, but both of those things are currently against TOS.

I'll keep both my programming journal and this thread updated as I make some progress on this project. Please let me know what you think.

richtidd

Database Admin
I've decided to do a little programming to integrate the serial port remote control of my BCD-396T into a public web page where listeners can vote on which talk-groups to activate in real-time.

The first iteration of this would be a simple web form with a list of active talk groups and channel banks currently active. Listeners could check off talk groups they did and didn't want to listen to. Depending on the number of most recent votes for a particular group, the web page would direct the scanner to turn certain banks on and off.

I'm sure over the next several weeks as I finish up the code this discussion will wander into the BCD-396T forum for technical tips and the Maryland Radio discussion for best memory bank arrangement of Baltimore County groups for the best break-out of precincts and fire districts, but I wanted to begin the discussion here.

First, I'm planning to make all the code open and available for anyone to use, and I would be happy if anyone else with any level of programming background wanted to help out. For now, all the source code and notes will be up at https://github.com/vees/bcd396t for anyone to use and improve. Anyone who would like to participate can just chime in here.

Second, I'd like to get some ideas from other radio streamers and listeners as to how this sort of thing might be useful to you. I'd also be interested if anyone else has already done this successfully, or even tried and failed but kept good notes on what went wrong.

Third, I'm interested in discussing how such a system would fit into the rules and TOS of RR streaming. It also would be neat to allow listeners to vote for a certain fire-ground channel if a multi-alarm fire was happening in their local area, or allow users to vote to activate tactical or ISU channels for their police precinct during a major incident, but both of those things are currently against TOS.

I'll keep both my programming journal and this thread updated as I make some progress on this project. Please let me know what you think.

Answering via e-mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.