Listening Beyond The Amateur Radios Ham Frequency Range

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I have owned amateur radio portables in the past, but I only own mobiles right now. Anyway, when public safety was still on analog conventional VHF and UHF in my area I would listen out of band. That is no longer an option in my area since agencies have switching to 800 mHz P-25 trunking. Anyway, some of them would also have the option to listen to AM/FM broadcast radio and TV audio. With HD radio (IBOC) and HD TV (ATSC), do people here think that any future amateur radio portables will include the ability to receive IBOC and/or ATSC audio?

JnglMassiv

With HD radio (IBOC) and HD TV (ATSC), do people here think that any future amateur radio portables will include the ability to receive IBOC and/or ATSC audio?
I don't think so. There's not really much demand for it. For me, it falls into my 'might be nice' list of features but it won't make or break a purchase decision and I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it.

KC0QNB

Yep they don't make amateur radios for those purposes.

If they had any intentions to, then they would already be supporting AM, USB and LSB demodulation techniques.

The IC706 has ssb capability not portable but is is real small, Jon I don't where you get your info but there are plenty of ham radios that have ssb capability as well as AM look around a bit here , here and here

jon_k

[/color]

The IC706 has ssb capability not portable but is is real small, Jon I don't where you get your info but there are plenty of ham radios that have ssb capability as well as AM look around a bit here , here and here

I'm a new HAM. That's why.

I'm surprised UHF/VHF radios do cover this ability. However, I was not referencing HF rigs with my post. Aren't the one supporting sidebands and AM generally HF?

I've never seen a simple UHF/VHF radio covering these. (Because they normally don't receive HF frequencies too well.)

Last edited:

KC0QNB

So Noted I was just using your own comment against you, just agitating a bit, don't take it personally. There is not much use for a portable ssb rig, Cherokee made a portable CB with the capability, it never took off, maybe because it would be tough to "fine-tune" the stations while walking. one of the ham radio mfrs had a HF plus portable that worked ok, but I don't remember which one Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood, I am thinking Yaesu, I couldn't find it on the web.

jon_k

So Noted I was just using your own comment against you, just agitating a bit, don't take it personally. There is not much use for a portable ssb rig, Cherokee made a portable CB with the capability, it never took off, maybe because it would be tough to "fine-tune" the stations while walking. one of the ham radio mfrs had a HF plus portable that worked ok, but I don't remember which one Icom, Yaesu or Kenwood, I am thinking Yaesu, I couldn't find it on the web.

Well at least I know I was wrong. I won't be repeating those sentiments anymore.

You did seem a little bit rough, but I guess not as rough as C.B. ever was.

Take care,

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Jon, this deviates a bit from the OP's topic, but I suggest you take a look at the Yaesu FT-817. It will cover the HF bands plus 6m, 2m, and 70cm in AM/FM/SSB/CW. It's a cross between a portable and a mobile radio and can be carried slung over your shoulder with a strap. With the internal batteries as a power source, it doesn't put out much RF power, but it's popular with the QRP hobbyists.

w0fg

Yaesu has sold thousands upon thousands of 5-watt FT817s that are being happily carried, mounted on bicycles, motorcycles, kayaks and everything else. I've worked 125 countries with mine. Check out the HFPACK website. HF SSB portable is more popular today than it's ever been. http://www.hfpack.com

Now, whether or not a manufacturer will ever add digital AM or TV receive to an amateur rig is another issue entirely. I doubt you'll see it in the near future, but down the road...who knows?

cpuerror

It takes a great deal of processing power to decipher those MPEG signals. If you get those little HD USB adaptors for example, they cost between $30 - $70, so figure $5 to to $25 at manufacturers cost. But to actually recover the video and audio it takes a fairly powerful CPU, they usually recommend a minimum of a dual core CPU at 1.6Ghz. Might be able to get away with slightly less if you are just decoding the audio. Regardless, adding ATSC capability would significantly increase the cost and power consumption to a device that is only meant to handle NFM and maybe P25. In the 5 or 6 years perhaps then they will have an inexpensive $2 chip to do the job, so hopefully in 14 years Uniden will come out with a model to utilize that capability.

Status
Not open for further replies.