Listening in Wayne County Indiana?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallsam

Is anyone scanning in the Wayne County area?

Richmond and Wayne County Police have moved to 800 Freqs..........I want to pick-up a new scanner at Dayton Hamvention, but I don't want a "pig in a poke", so I am wandering what works?

Have been told by a retired police officer that you can't hear Richmond/Wayne co police even with a new scanner.

I am looking at Uniden BCD 396 XT, but don't want to spend the money and be able to hear them. I have listened to local freqs. for over 40 years(back before scanners) had to tune them in one at a time. This trunk tracking stuff is a new to me and is going to be a learning experience for an old ham (N9LBA).

Any help or suggestions or radio recomendations would all be very helpful..........so post away PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Sam
N9LBA

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The database lists VHF frequencies for Wayne County but mentions that agencies in the county have been issued talkgroups on Project SAFE-T, the 800 MHz trunked system. To monitor both the analog and digital talkgroups on SAFE-T, you will need a digital trunktracking scanner. See the list in the Wiki here.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
If they are just digital you can hear them with a digital scanner.

If they are using encryption, you are out of luck. We'll need someone in the area to confirm whether or not they are in the clear or not :)

W9NES

You will have no problems hearing WayneCounty/Richmond if you buy a Uniden 396T or a New Uniden 396XT or a Uniden 996T or a 996XT.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
So you are confirming they are not using encryption, correct? Just so there is no confusion..

bearcat991

Any of the digital scanners will receive Wayne Co. and Richmond. Do yourself a favor and buy the newer versions don't opt for the 396T even if it's less expensive...the T version has issues but they are corrected for the most part on the XT version. Go with Either the GRE or the Bearcat...I have both and they work great on the SAFE-T system which is what Wayne Co. is now on.

kc8gjh

Premium Subscriber
Richmond PD/FD and Wayne Co SO/FD are not using encryption on SAFE-T. They are using both the VHF and SAFE-T. I have no problems hearing any of them with my old Pro-96 and my newer PSR-600. It does seem within the last month or so that they have been using SAFE-T more on the Wayne Co Fire. I dont live in the area to confirm everything but my InLaws do and when I was up there last weekend I had no problem monitoring Wayne Co and Richmond at all.

brf9823

Can I listen with Uniden BC898T

I have a Uniden BC898T. Can I listen to SAFE-T and the Wayne County trunked channels with this scanner? And what is the carrier freq for this system? Thanks for any help.

brf9823

What is the control freq for this system for Wayne county and Richmond? Thanks for your help.

bigkahunafish

a uniden 396xt works pretty good.... but certainly not as good as the VHF.

Cops and others hate the 800's here.... lots of issues.

Thank you for the live feed. I can listen at work now.

Status
Not open for further replies.