Listening on a bcd996p2 scanner (semi) remotely using bluetooth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxbubziexx

Good evening gentlemen! I have an idea for remotely listening to the scanner using bluetooth with earphones.

Ok, heres the pitch.. I want to be able to listen to scanner traffic directly from my scanner from the car (i have a mobile setup btw). For example, I would like to walk in to say walmart or any similar place and still be able to listen remotely.

There is bluetooth transmitters that plug in to the aux on amazon i have been looking at but heres the problem, bluetooth only has a limited range that it operates at. My question is that is there any other similar tech that would allow me to transmit an audio signal that far? Please let me know. I look forward to reading your responses thanks!

xxbubziexx

Be a contributor at Broadcastify and you can listen to your channel all day long via many cell phone apps.
I forgot to mention that I am aware of using broadcastify apps but i want to know if theres a way to directly listen remotely from the scanner. I know that the home patrol series has wifi capabilities thatll let you do this but i dont have one.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
You could use the audio out from the scanner to feed a raspberry pi. There are a few users here who are using a pi to stream with zello. Then you'll just need a sim modem to supply the pi with 3g/4g data. A limited pay as you go data plan would probably be plenty for streaming and isn't exactly expensive is you're really committed to the project. But short of using some sort of phone / pi / laptop with a sim based data plan I doubt you'll achieve satisfactory results. Bluetooth won't have the range and even a direct wifi connection to your vehicle won't be enough to reach from say a walmart parking lot to inside the building. Personally, I have my scanner in my vehicle for normal use, and have a couple rtl sdr's on my home computer streaming to zello when I'm away from my scanner. It's not perfect, but it works rather well 95% of the time.

xxbubziexx

You could use the audio out from the scanner to feed a raspberry pi. There are a few users here who are using a pi to stream with zello. Then you'll just need a sim modem to supply the pi with 3g/4g data. A limited pay as you go data plan would probably be plenty for streaming and isn't exactly expensive is you're really committed to the project. But short of using some sort of phone / pi / laptop with a sim based data plan I doubt you'll achieve satisfactory results. Bluetooth won't have the range and even a direct wifi connection to your vehicle won't be enough to reach from say a walmart parking lot to inside the building. Personally, I have my scanner in my vehicle for normal use, and have a couple rtl sdr's on my home computer streaming to zello when I'm away from my scanner. It's not perfect, but it works rather well 95% of the time.
Great information. I like the idea of using pi's ill need to look into this.

Status
Not open for further replies.