Listening to AQUA CHP on SDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

syntha

Has anyone figured this out? I can't seem to get it to work. I'm using SDR-Trunk with NESDR Smart devices. I've tried both the FM and p25 frequencies from RR and all I've heard is faint voice on FM with tons of static. I'm assuming I'm missing something here, any help would be much appreciated.

daniel18522

What kind of antenna are you using. CHP is low band so you'll need an antenna that will receive VHF Low well. Are you located in the Hayward/Castro Valley area. Reception could be spotty due to the Bay Areas hills and valleys.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You can't skimp on antennas when it comes to low band. Unless you are using a large antenna, you're getting about what any of us would expect.
CHP will be wide band FM. They are not running P25 on low band.

syntha

Thanks for the input guys! My SDR came with 3 antennas, so I will test those. Is there an antenna you would suggest just for this purpose by chance? I noticed they have "extender" Frequencies listed as p25 I was assuming this was some form of repeater setup they are listed here:

769.66875 RMDB5 NACAQA EXT PAqua - Extender - Primary P25 Law Dispatch
769.94375 RMDBB NACAQA EXT AAqua - Extender - Alternate P25 Law Dispatch

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the input guys! My SDR came with 3 antennas, so I will test those. Is there an antenna you would suggest just for this purpose by chance? I noticed they have "extender" Frequencies listed as p25 I was assuming this was some form of repeater setup they are listed here:

769.66875RMDB5 NACAQA EXT PAqua - Extender - PrimaryP25Law Dispatch
769.94375RMDBB NACAQA EXT AAqua - Extender - AlternateP25Law Dispatch
The repeater for their extenders is located in the trunk of their patrol vehicle. You would need to be fairly close to the mobile unit to hear anything. What you want to tune in is 42.62 and/or 44.94 (they are simulcasted). This covers southern Alameda County.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You need a dedicated low band antenna mounted outside your home (away from noise) and up as high as you can get it.

Depends on your mounting type, what you have available, etc. Small antennas intended to attach directly to the SDR are not going to work worth beans unless you are very close to a transmit site.

Status
Not open for further replies.