Listening to BCD436 and 536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wally46

Feed Provider
Anybody listen to both at the same time and hear the delay between the two when they are receiving the same transmission? I think it sounds cool when my 436 is half a second ahead of the 536. I'm sure there are lots of variables and I'm not complaining. Just think it's a neat echo effect.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Yep, the 536HP is faster than the 996XT. Not nearly a 1/2 second though.
Maybe 50 ms or so at the max but enough for a noticeable delay.
Heck, even just 5 or 10 ms delay difference is enough to notice an echo effect. I hate it myself as I often have several radios running and that really makes things sound horrible.
It's too bad they don't offer an audio delay adjustment so you can try and sync all your radios but that may be asking to much.

This is also a probelm with two HDTV's within hearing range of each other, one will decode the audio faster than the other creating the echo effect.
The solution, turn one or both down!
That's not really possible with the scanners though when you may have 7 or so running in the same room.
I try and break up the systems each monitors but many must monitor the same system in order to catch the other active talkgroups. For those, I make an attempt at locking out certain talkgroups so none are duplicated.
Then it never fails where they do a citywide broadcast on several talkgroups and I have the echo. With 7 or more radios running, the different delays can make the audio non intellegible.

Wally46

Feed Provider
Oh yeah there is a big delay between our HDTV on the main floor and the one down in the basement. During the Superbowl I yelled downstairs "touchdown" and the people downstairs said how do you know lol

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Oh yeah there is a big delay between our HDTV on the main floor and the one down in the basement. During the Superbowl I yelled downstairs "touchdown" and the people downstairs said how do you know lol

Too bad you did not have time to make some bets!!

SCPD

QRT
ss

Anybody listen to both at the same time and hear the delay between the two when they are receiving the same transmission? I think it sounds cool when my 436 is half a second ahead of the 536. I'm sure there are lots of variables and I'm not complaining. Just think it's a neat echo effect.
Like surround sound?

AC2OY

That is soooo funny I always wondered why? It's takes a half of a second for the signal to reach the basement or other floors?!

kruser

Premium Subscriber
That is soooo funny I always wondered why? It's takes a half of a second for the signal to reach the basement or other floors?!

Actually, it's the DSP chipset used. Some are much faster than others at decoding.

That's true for scanners and HDTV's or anything that converts a digital signal back to what our ears hear, analog.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
If you have cable and satellite, you see the action on the cable a full 5 seconds before the satellite usually :) My two radios are pretty much in sync, make a few mseconds difference.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
My new 536HP has faster P25 decode than any of my GRE's or other digital Uniden models. It's not much but is noticeable.

For cable vs. satellite vs. OTA, I don't know what Charter does here with their digital channels but my dishnet satellite beats them hands down by a good 15 or more seconds. Of course OTA is the fastest and then the DSP chipset becomes the limiting factor when tuning OTA.
Satellite must travel at least 46,000+ miles before it reaches the headend.
23,000+ something miles up to the bird and the same distance back down.
Even though radio waves travel at roughly the same speed as light, that distance still causes a several hundred millisecond delay. Ask those that try and game via satellite broadband conenctions what their ping times are!
It's possible Charter is still receiving all their signals via satellite here and then combine that delay with their own signal processing equipment is what makes them the slowest.
Why the local stations also have the longest delay is kind of a mystery though figuring they usually pick them up OTA and then pump that signal in at the headend.
I don't think all Charter market areas are like this after reading some reports from others in other states that see more like your example where satellite is the slower of the bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.