Listening to CHP in Modesto Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbarreras

Ok,

So I am a hobbyist. I have had scanners for years. I have never had any luck getting to listen in on CHP frequencies. I now live in Modesto area, and I've read the very long explanations on radioreference on how CHP does base to mobile and mobile to mobile transmitting.

I still cannot figure out. Anyone else in the same boat?

I currently use a BCD396T Uniden Bearcat Scanner. I also have some Baofeng 2 ways, which I mostly listen to fire channels that don't have the complexities like CHP or p25 channels.

Can anyone point to how to program my Uniden scanner to listen in on CHP?

Thanks for any efforts. If you're local to Modesto, beer on me (y)

- DB

2k1typeSH

Premium Subscriber
CHP in the Modesto area is on the “Yellow,” which is 42.52 a PL of 146.2. The mobile traffic is broadcast this frequency, so there is no need to program in the mobile channel.

You should also be able to receive the Orange channel (45.94) and the White (44.92). Program these channels in the same manner that you program fire frequencies in your scanner.

It should be noted that unlike VHF fire frequencies, CHP’s low band channels require a longer antenna, preferably located outdoors. While I am able to receive fire freqs indoors, I must go outside in order to pick up CHP channels.

dbarreras

Very helpful @2k1typeSH

I am more indoors than out as I am not trying to broadcast my scanner to my neighborhood :unsure:

I was looking at those antenna's that are more wired based and perhaps have plungers that stick to a windows. Any insight on that aspect? I think my issue as you stated over years was the fact that a longer antenna is required, and I am just wondering what others might be doing in order to hear CHP w/o erecting a tower in the back yard?

2k1typeSH

Premium Subscriber
I doubt that you would have much luck with a wire antenna mounted to a window; it is still indoors and probably wouldn’t be effective. If you have a chimney that has metal on it, you can buy a mag mount antenna and run coax from the roof down and in thru a window. I did this at my old house as well as my current one and nobody ever said a word. Most people don’t take the time to notice such things, and if they do, they just assume it’s a TV antenna. Here is a link to my setup at my old house (with pictures).

Here’s a link to the Huster Mag Mount antenna, it works great for picking CHP.

dbarreras

Really cool. Thanks for this tip.

Any recommendation for best antenna just on hand held scanner? The mag mount antenna on the roof is obviously the way I want to go, but that's definitely a project to get to that. What would you recommend for just best reception on a handheld regardless of the indoor/outdoor situation?

Thanks again for sharing your expertise!

- DB

2k1typeSH

Premium Subscriber
I use this:

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Any recommendation for best antenna just on hand held scanner?
The Diamond RH77CA is a favorite and sells for around $25. They make it with several flavors, SMA, BNC and Reverse SMA connectors. If you're going to switch antennas often, using your SMA to BNC adapter that I believe came with your scanner would be a good thing. If so, then pick up the BNC version of that antenna. I typically use the RH77CA with my scanners.

As to CHP and that antenna, I was surprised that the RH77CA picked it up as well as it does on 42.08 MHz (Fresno County Area CHP). That may be the result of the transmitter site and the locations where I monitor. Your results will vary.

Another antenna, that typically costs a bit more, is a Thales 1600500-1 or -2 (Around $40). It is about 13" long and it has a TNC connector, so you would need to purchase a TNC female to BNC male adapter which is about $5. This Thales antenna is made for military use and it offers wide coverage 30-512 MHz. It is worth its price to me, but I also use these antennas to transmit on the amateur bands. Please Note: If you find one of these antennas on eBay and it is shipping from China, Hong Kong, etc. I would avoid it.

My results when monitoring CHP on 42.080 FM indoors were: (Your results will vary)
#1 - 1600500-1
#2 - 1600500-2
#3 - RH77CA

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You can also make a basic 1/4 wave antenna on your wall with some coaxial cable and thin wire:
1/4 wave length at 42MHz will be about 70 1/4" tall. Run a piece of wire that long from the top of the wall down towards the baseboard. Connect the center conductor of the coaxial cable to the bottom of that wire.
Take the outer braid of the coaxial cable and connect it to two wires sloping down towards the floor. You can use some blue masking tape to hold it up temporarily to see how it works, you ideally want it on an exterior wall.
But be aware, it might couple to electrical wiring in the walls and pick up noise, so you may need to try other locations.

A simple 1/4 wave on 42MHz should improve your coverage quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.