Listening to DPS

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Im in Hardin County, near Beaumont, Tx, listening on a HP-2, When i try to moniter DPS, nothing comes across, and show no signal, anything special to be able to listen to Texas DPS? Thanks.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
If you are using the stock antenna that comes with the HP-2 you may very well have to upgrade. My HP-2 sat on the desk for a long time with nary a peep from DPS...put up an outside antenna and there they were.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Im in Hardin County, near Beaumont, Tx, listening on a HP-2, When i try to moniter DPS, nothing comes across, and show no signal, anything special to be able to listen to Texas DPS? Thanks.
Which frequencies are you trying to monitor them on? Their conventional channels listed under statewide agencies?

Or you trying to monitor their assigned talkgroups on SETRRS?

In many areas, including here in the DFW area, they rarely talk on their conventional frequencies. Most of their communications are done with the MDTs in their vehicle.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I didn't scroll down far enough to see the TGs on SETTRS! My idea of an external antenna may not apply, if you can receive the local tower for the SETRRS system. Other than programming the talkgroups for DPS there is no magic, just have to sit and listen. But as Steve said, unlike in the past the DPS radio traffic is greatly diminished!

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I tried listening to them using the full database, aswell as making a favorites list, but nothing.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I tried listening to them using the full database, aswell as making a favorites list, but nothing.
But do you also have SETRRS in the channels you are scanning? Looking at the location data for those two DPS talkgroups, it looks close to that of the Silsbee site.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I will have to look, i just moniter my favorite lists, and i dont have the old SETRRS in it, just the SETRRS P25 System. I use the Silsbee site.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Yes sir...they show talkgroups on the new SETRRS P25 system. I meant were you trying to hear DPS on THEIR VHF frequencies? DPS is TG 25 and 27! Make sure they are in your favorites list...if your current list is very active, build one with just those 2 in it and listen a bit.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
I will have to look, I just locked it on Department of Public Safety and listen for a while, I will get on my computer and look

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
On the SETRRS P25 system, TG 25 is DPS dispatch, 27 is Tac and there is an additional repeat of the Lufkin comms center on TG 4001. These are not under DPS but State of Texas on SETRRS.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Just went to the sentinel software, went to the SETRRS P25/State of Texas, and put into a fav list, see how that goes. Thanks.

Harold

Premium Subscriber
Learn the TxDPS Callsign Structure and tune your ears to filter them on your Counties Law Enforcement talk groups.

Prycer

Premium Subscriber
Like Harold said, listen for Troopers on the county systems. It'll be a number (region) then a letter (sub region) then 3-4 more numbers that determine office and individual trooper. They have a handful of others. DPSXXX being the helicopter support. CID and Rangers have their own unique callsigns but I've only heard a Ranger ID once and the DPS dispatcher said something to the effect of "that's a ranger" in the broadcast.

I also agree with the above, get a quality antenna. For YEARS I couldn't get reliable traction on any of the DPS channels or repeaters, I got a decent scanner and there's a whole new world of listening there for me.

TxScanner

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. I do hear them on our county system, but i was trying to moniter there dispatch, etc. i used to be able to last time i tried a few years ago. seems like they use Lufkin dispatch

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
You're gonna hear more on the county system. In lots of rural areas, they use TG on the county system because its more reliable than the VHF. Something about grants for radio systems required giving access to the system to the DPS! You should hear dispatch on two of the TGs, but again they aren't all that active, with many dispatch details handled on the MDT. In my county over west of Ft Worth, I almost never hear the units on the VHF frequencies, but rather active on the county TRS!
Are you using an outside antenna with the HP2? Doubtful you will hear the VHF channels without an outside antenna.

Last edited:

Prycer

Premium Subscriber
You're gonna hear more on the county system. In lots of rural areas, they use TG on the county system because its more reliable than the VHF. Something about grants for radio systems required giving access to the system to the DPS! You should hear dispatch on two of the TGs, but again they aren't all that active, with many dispatch details handled on the MDT. In my county over west of Ft Worth, I almost never hear the units on the VHF frequencies, but rather active on the county TRS!
Are you using an outside antenna with the HP2? Doubtful you will hear the VHF channels without an outside antenna.
There's a fair amount of chatter on the Mineral Wells channel. I've heard the Chisholm toll Troopers running traffic into the Mineral Wells office too. It seems to me in Parker County anyway that the Troopers are dispatched to accidents on the PCSO main channel and do everything else through the Mineral Wells comms office. A few Friday's ago, Willow Park PD had an incident going on that PCSO and DPS assisted with and DPS wasn't speaking directly to Willow Park.

I am in Aledo, not 100% sure where the repeater is but I'm close. So I am probably at a advantage hearing DPS.

jasday

There's a fair amount of chatter on the Mineral Wells channel. I've heard the Chisholm toll Troopers running traffic into the Mineral Wells office too. It seems to me in Parker County anyway that the Troopers are dispatched to accidents on the PCSO main channel and do everything else through the Mineral Wells comms office. A few Friday's ago, Willow Park PD had an incident going on that PCSO and DPS assisted with and DPS wasn't speaking directly to Willow Park.

I am in Aledo, not 100% sure where the repeater is but I'm close. So I am probably at a advantage hearing DPS.
If you look south from Willow Park/Ranch House Rd, the tallest antenna that you see, that's the one they are on. The Aledo repeater was always busiest with both sides of traffic when I worked out in Parker County.