Listening to frequencies on your scanner or radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drbeede

Feed Provider
Ok I have a few questions which may have been asked already, but I was wondering why some frequencies sound like a machine gun or something like that when heard on a scanner or radio? Is it possible those are encrypted and can't be heard or did I do something wrong while programming them into the radio/scanner? Most of the frequencies I have programmed into my radio and scanner work just fine but there are like a dozen or so that sound this way or simply light up the display as if it is receiving but nothing is heard on my end, any help suggestions welcome please and thanks in advance.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
If you know the frequency, look it up on the RRDB search page. It is an invaluable tool for looking up frequencies, callsigns, etc. Here is the link for Missouri:

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=29&tab=search

Or, if curious as to if the sound is DMR, do a quick lookup on this website:

FCC Service and Station Codes

I use both of these quite frequently, most everyday. Great up-to-date info! Hope this helps!

JD
kf4anc

marksmith

You are likely listening to a digital control channel for a trunked radio system, rather than encrypted comms.

Typically sounds like a motorboat.

Mark
SDS100&200/536/436/WS1095/996p2/996xt/325p2/396xt/psr800/396t/HP-1/HP-2 & others

Status
Not open for further replies.