Listening to it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSN571

Howdy,
20 or more years ago I was a shortwave listener, but got out of it, I forget why, I think that my toddlers broke of the antenna right at the hinge of my Sony, but I have slept since then.

About 3 weeks ago, I bought a HomePatrol-1 scanner to give replace my wife's aunt's old dead scanner the next time that we go up to East Texas. Of course I have had to play with it in order to TRY and learn how to operate the thing. One thing for sure, I really, really miss knobs, mostly to ensure that something is really, really off.

It turns out that my wife likes to listen to the scanner, also know to her as "local stuff" as opposed to my shortwave preference.

So, is there any such thing as a receiver that does both (and well) , or am I have to go and buy one for each use?

Thank you,
trav

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Most scanners don't even cover the 27MHz CB band, so no. You'll need separate radios. And separate antennas, what works for VHF/UHF will not work for SW/MW, and vice versa.

DJ11DLN

A scanner that would cover VHF-Lo through 1.2 GHz and both track trunked systems and decode multiple digital formats, plus cover even part of the SW bands, would be a huge compromise, probably not work very well, and most likely retail in the $1,500 range. The good news is that there are a lot of fairly inexpensive portable SW receivers that have very good ratings. Check the reviews on eHam, as well as the SWL section here...you should find what you are looking for. I've spent a lot of time perusing these, as I intend to get into SWL if I can ever win the war with my electric utility over a huge RFI source about 100 yards from my house.:mad: Until that gets fixed, there's no point since listening to S9+20 bacon frying just isn't my thing.

As far as your spouse being bitten by the scanner bug...I'd personally consider that a blessing!

SSN571

Thank you for your replies.
I was afraid that I will end up getting two receivers. I think that I will get my spousal unit a HomePatrol-2.
I have been looking at SW receivers, and believe that I will go for the Eton Grundig Satellit 750 as finances allow.

wtp

i always thought

of shortwave as near continuous broadcasts, that might slow up the scanner of the local stuff.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I was afraid that I will end up getting two receivers. I think that I will get my spousal unit a HomePatrol-2.
I have been looking at SW receivers, and believe that I will go for the Eton Grundig Satellit 750 as finances allow.

I would look at getting something like an Icom 718 or Icom R-75 instead of the Satellit 750. You could always get a ham radio license and even use it to talk to people.

DJ11DLN

Separate receivers = IMHO not a bad thing. You can share your listening experience when you want but as with the TV there will be times when she wants to do her thing and you want to do yours. You'll have that option with separate radios for each type of listening.

I've also looked at the 750 for my first SW purchase, if and when...it seems to be an impressive unit at least for entry-level users, with good reviews, except for a few from awhile back when there were apparently some QC issues at the factory. Those should all be gone now so unless you buy a used one that part shouldn't be an issue for you. But (disclaimer!!!) I am at best an "armchair expert" on that end of things so listen to what the true SWL'ers here will tell you about it and disregard my advice where it conflicts with theirs!

SSN571

Hummm, I don't know...Icom 718 I believe that I took a look at one and it looks that I would have to get into messaging with antennas, and I can just barely climb up a 2 step step ladder in the kitchen. I have not checked into ham licenses since the very early 80s, so I don't know what is required any longer, won't live long enough to learn morse, and there is that pesky antenna stuff, along with getting a DC power supply(??)

Good point about me wanting / she wanting (that's why I built her a nice TV happy corner.

Last edited:

QDP2012

Hummm, I don't know...Icom 718 I believe that I took a look at one and it looks that I would have to get into messaging with antennas, and I can just barely climb up a 2 step step ladder in the kitchen. I have not checked into ham licenses since the very early 80s, so I don't know what is required any longer, won't live long enough to learn morse, and there is that pesky antenna stuff, along with getting a DC power supply(??)

Good point about me wanting / she wanting (that's why I built her a nice TV happy corner.

Morse code is no longer a requirement in the US. Maybe someone can help with antenna placement.

I hope it works out for you.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber

It is never to late or old to learn. Keeps the mind active. Getting a ham licence teaches one about proper use of radios and antennas. Nothing to lose but a lot to gain! And I thought it was just millennials that wanted things yesterday without having to learn how things worked. Where there is a will, there is a way. I have lived all my life with physical problems. I just adapt. Get someone or your self to "throw" a wire antenna up, you don't even need a stool.

Status
Not open for further replies.