listening to lojack on a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecps92

Depends on your Location. Some Dept's/Agencies have them in Specialized Units (Helo, Auto Theft, Shift Supervisors) others more wide spread.

And Yes, still plenty of Lo/Jack users
Does anyone still use Lojack? It is rare to even see a squad anymore with the 4 antenna array

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
In my area, LoJack operates its own fleet of tracker vehicles. Saw one a few days ago.

Typically used for construction equipment recovery.

wtp

in my county

a couple of ground units and the chopper have lojack.
they had a hit and a chase a couple of months ago, it was good to listen to.
a simple chase down the highway and then a stop.

Rred

"I thought with a GPS unit being installed in just about every vehicle manufactured in the last 10 or so years.
Almost any car, truck, or SUV could be found by the authorities just by entering the VIN in a special database. The ability is there but they rarely use it for the general public."

GPS is often totally misunderstood. Unless a car has a nav system built into it--and that's still a minority of cars--there is no "GPS" built into it. And when there is a nav system, that's a GPS receiver, it is totally incapable of transmitting anything or being tracked in any way.

Now, if the car has a built-in cellular car phone...oh, wait, those are obsolete. So unless it is a model with OnStar or another telematics system that is ACTIVE (usually means a paid subscription) and connected to a cellular system...there's no "GPS" or way to track the average car that way. Except in the movies.

LoJack is similarly grossly misunderstood. It is basically a passive system, a (normal) LoJack equipped vehicle doesn't do squat except LISTEN for commands. Once a user manually calls into the LoJack system and says "My car isn't where I left it" the system operators send out a command, just like the Sirius/XM activation commands, that says "LoJack Unit number 783683 (whatever) please turn on your beacon." And they keep repeating that signal, for a limited time in a limited area.

IF the vehicle is able to receive that signal, it starts sending out the data pulses that are used to track it. If the thieves were pros, they parked it in a metal shed or a cargo cube (Newark NJ and the Port of Los Angeles are infamous) and it is radio shielded and already heading out of the country. Making LoJack useless.

After some years of this, LoJack added an optional 'active' system, which doubles the purchase price. If the active system is installed, the owner gets a special key fob, and if the car moves, or is started, without the fob being present, it starts to send out alarm messages. That's still a rare system. Last time I checked, LoJack also charged a whopping fee if you wanted to do a test transmission every month, or six months, to check that your system was working. All in all?

Once the cellular tracking/alarm systems came out, LoJack had very little reason to exist, except for the legacy users who didn't know something better was out there. It may be harder to jam LoJack, but that's a whole other ball of wax. I wouldn't expect a lot of activity on it.

stingray327

Does that also cover california? It would be nice to put together a local hot sheet for my employees due to the fact that we get alot of stolen vehicles dumped in our shopping center and it would be easy for them to read the list and some of them aren't the best with words when they call in plates (im the director of security) and i feel it you be easy to check plates that way then calling pd 3 times a night

Police here are using a new vehicle that covers all around it with cams that will detect if there is a stolen vehicle. It reads plates and VINS.

Aero125

Does that also cover california? It would be nice to put together a local hot sheet for my employees due to the fact that we get alot of stolen vehicles dumped in our shopping center and it would be easy for them to read the list and some of them aren't the best with words when they call in plates (im the director of security) and i feel it you be easy to check plates that way then calling pd 3 times a night

You can ask your LASD station (assuming you're in their patrol area) to drive through your lots with an ASAP equipped unit. Among other features it has ALPR (automatic license plate reader) which will read and check every plate for wants as they drive through.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Police here are using a new vehicle that covers all around it with cams that will detect if there is a stolen vehicle. It reads plates and VINS.

Reading plates, yes, but are you sure about the VINs? In most cars, you have to be within a few inches and right over the lower left corner of the windshield to see the VIN. I'm not saying "no,' I'm just saying that's tough to do with either or both vehicles moving.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Google AVPLR They do read tags, but not vin numbers. 73, n9zas

ecps92

Actually you don't call Lo/Jack
You file an Official Police Report and the Dept makes an NCIC entry. Then the computers handle the rest.

Yup, still misunderstood. :roll:
LoJack is similarly grossly misunderstood. It is basically a passive system, a (normal) LoJack equipped vehicle doesn't do squat except LISTEN for commands. Once a user manually calls into the LoJack system and says "My car isn't where I left it" the system operators send out a command, just like the Sirius/XM activation commands, that says "LoJack Unit number 783683 (whatever) please turn on your beacon." And they keep repeating that signal, for a limited time in a limited area.

IF the vehicle is able to receive that signal, it starts sending out the data pulses that are used to track it. If the thieves were pros, they parked it in a metal shed or a cargo cube (Newark NJ and the Port of Los Angeles are infamous) and it is radio shielded and already heading out of the country. Making LoJack useless.

After some years of this, LoJack added an optional 'active' system, which doubles the purchase price. If the active system is installed, the owner gets a special key fob, and if the car moves, or is started, without the fob being present, it starts to send out alarm messages. That's still a rare system. Last time I checked, LoJack also charged a whopping fee if you wanted to do a test transmission every month, or six months, to check that your system was working. All in all?

Once the cellular tracking/alarm systems came out, LoJack had very little reason to exist, except for the legacy users who didn't know something better was out there. It may be harder to jam LoJack, but that's a whole other ball of wax. I wouldn't expect a lot of activity on it.

ScannerSK

A lot of LoJack sales these days I believe come from dealerships. LoJack has a "Pre-Install Program" with participating dealerships to install LoJack in all their vehicles prior to being sold. If the sales representative can talk the customer into purchasing LoJack the dealer gets a bonus of say $400-$600 (negotiable per dealership). If the sales representative is not able to convince the customer into purchasing LoJack then the dealership has to pay LoJack an amount of say $200-$300 (negotiable). This explains why some dealerships really push LoJack hard and even try to add it to the contract without telling the customer. The participating dealerships take a loss on each vehicle sold when the customer turns down LoJack. There are a lot of LoJacks being installed in vehicles which are not activated.

At one point LoJack sold units for motorcycles however that was discontinued likely as there were not enough hiding places in a motorcycle.

A couple weeks ago a high speed chase passed down the street a block from our house with screeching tires and all. The vehicle had OnStar installed however it had been deactivated. In order to track the vehicle OnStar stated the service had to be reactivated which took almost a full day! I wonder if the police had to pay OnStar to reactivate the service?? The vehicle was not stolen however the driver was a convicted felon.

Rather than LoJack, some people these days are just buying a used smart phone, purchasing a new sim card and placing some air time on it. The phone is tied into constant battery power and has an app such as the find my phone app installed. I have heard several police calls locally in which citizens contacted the police and were providing them with updates as to where their stolen vehicle was located using just such a method. With LoJack the customer cannot tell where their vehicle is located however with the smart phone method the customer knows at all times where their vehicle is located or at least where it was last located before cell service was lost.

Shawn

Rred

Speaking of dealers, a number of them install tracking devices--without telling the buyer--when they are making a risky loan or lease, to ensure they can easily find and repossess the vehicle. FWIW.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Can you buy or make a avplr?
. Probably, but without access to your states Dmv database it wouldn't have a source to check images against. There would be no point in having one, unless you're a LEO. 73, n9zas

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
gewecke is right. And, for privacy reasons, some states limit access to the tag information. It's not tight like CIA stuff but you have to have a legitimate reason,

RayAir

Speaking of dealers, a number of them install tracking devices--without telling the buyer--when they are making a risky loan or lease, to ensure they can easily find and repossess the vehicle. FWIW.

Lol, true.

Then when (if) they ever pay their loan off the dealer invites them to bring their car in for a "free oil change and car wash".

They then perform that service and unbeknownst to the car owner, remove the tracking device.

ecps92

Many states don't allow them to be a LIVE connection, due to the volume of transactions they produce. It's a Daily file loaded from NCIC, NLETS, State files and some Dept's load their own Local Info (Amber Alerts, Parking Violations etc)

Private Co's do use them, mostly Parking Facilities :cool:

. Probably, but without access to your states Dmv database it wouldn't have a source to check images against. There would be no point in having one, unless you're a LEO. 73, n9zas

MtnBiker2005

Premium Subscriber
LPR article about it from License Plate Readers attached to traffic signal lights/poles around San Diego County, California.

LPR systems are currently used for more than just looking for stolen vehicles. This technology is also used for the following purposes:
Tracking the movements of gang members, drug traffickers, sexual predators, and other targets of criminal investigations
Searching for vehicles involved in homicides, robberies, shootings, and other serious crimes
Photographing and documenting the location (geo-tagging) of vehicles for later investigative purposes
Identifying and seizing vehicles with outstanding parking citations on file
“Geo-fencing,” where fixed cameras are placed to monitor vehicles coming and going from a particular location
Supporting homeland security interests
http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/...action=display&article_id=1799&issue_id=52009

slicerwizard

Along with ignition disablers to encourage on time payments.

Status
Not open for further replies.