Listening to nysp on a scanner please help me

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnyman98

Idk WTF is wrong with my scanner! Yes i have a P25 Phase 1&2 capable scanner. I can't seem to get a goddamn PEEP out of it from the NYS Metro-25 system. Not even from the MTA PD talkgroups or NYC Sheriffs. I've tried many combos of setup in the EZScan programmig software (i have a PSR-800), someone PLEASE HELP. I am beyond annoyed and frustrated because I invested in a capable radio and for what?!?!
I dont want to have to put this baby up for sale as I got it mainly to monitor the Troopers in NYC. I had an older scanner for the FDNY trunked system but decided to upgrade to hear em all. So much for that!

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
NYC Sheriff is not on Metro-25, so if you are trying to program that in, that is the first indication something is not right.

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
...I dont want to have to put this baby up for sale as I got it mainly to monitor the Troopers in NYC.

I hardly ever hear anything on this system; sometimes Troopers, Staten Island Railroad cops, Courts and Parks and when I do it's garbled. Your radio is probably ok.

Darkstar350

Yes Metro25 is definitely not very active - and when it is the coverage is quite lackluster even within NYC itself
Im pretty sure they are in the process of adding more sites however
800mhz coverage in general within the NYC area is not the greatest due to congestion
Try a dedicated 800mhz antenna - if you can get your hands on the Radioshack rubber 800mhz i heard that antenna works well
Also it is apparent that most scanners on the market today dont receive P25 trunk systems 100% so that factors in as well
From what ive heard with the exception of the "Unication" brand which is actually a pager and a scanner upwards of 1,000 USD...

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Try a dedicated 800mhz antenna - if you can get your hands on the Radioshack rubber 800mhz i heard that antenna works well

I have that antenna and confirm that I did receive clear p25 audio on the metro system from Levittown NY a few weeks ago.

See this thread and verify the correct band plan is being used

Base Frequency for Metro-25

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
From what ive heard with the exception of the "Unication" brand which is actually a pager and a scanner upwards of 1,000 USD...

Unication's G4 (7/800) and G5 (7/800 and either VHF or UHF as the 2nd band) are well under $1,000. More like under $600 (G4) or under $700 (G5).

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
What about in the rest of the state? I don't hear them in Western New York. Any advice?

Are you monitoring the VHF Troop A frequencies in the data base?

It's also possible that most of their traffic is on the county systems in your area (which is becoming more and more common in some parts of the State).

AZ645

Premium Subscriber
Are you monitoring the VHF Troop A frequencies in the data base?

It's also possible that most of their traffic is on the county systems in your area (which is becoming more and more common in some parts of the State).

Thanks, Yes, I scan the VHF Troop A, hardly any activity. I have heard the State Police on the local Sheriff frequencies being dispatched very often. Also I've noticed that the Troop cars have a longer antenna on them nowadays, actually several antennas, any ideas for what?

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Yes, I scan the VHF Troop A, hardly any activity. I have heard the State Police on the local Sheriff frequencies being dispatched very often. Also I've noticed that the Troop cars have a longer antenna on them nowadays, actually several antennas, any ideas for what?

Most of the SP radio traffic from what I've noticed is on the county sheriffs channels or on the appropriate TG if their is a TRS associated. I know in Erie County, ECSO Dispatch dispatches SP cars on the sheriffs freq, same thing in Chautauqua Co, if I recall correctly, they were on the sheriffs TG or their own TG. In Wyoming County, SP talks on the sheriffs channel as well. I regularly monitor the Troop A B to M and M to B channels, and don't hear a peep for days.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
What about in the rest of the state? I don't hear them in Western New York. Any advice?
Do you have all the troop a freqs programmed in? Do you have all delays / holds set to zero?

Also I've noticed that the Troop cars have a longer antenna on them nowadays, actually several antennas, any ideas for what?

The 4 antennas in a square pattern are most likely lojack. The longest antenna would most likely be vhf and or cb radio. Shorter 6 inch antennas would be for uhf, if they talk on a system that uses uhf. Anything like 3 inches would most likely be 800mhz used for operation on county trunked systems..

ak716

Premium Subscriber
Never seen a box a 4 antenna, last I looked, all in a strait line. Appeared to be one VHF- HI, one UHF and two 800 (2nd one for the low wattage mobile booster thingy they have probably) Never seen a CB in a NYSP Car. A few years ago I sat in the front of a Troop T car, and he only had a M/A Com VHF Hi/ UHF Mobile in the center console

AZ645

Premium Subscriber
Most of the SP radio traffic from what I've noticed is on the county sheriffs channels or on the appropriate TG if their is a TRS associated. I know in Erie County, ECSO Dispatch dispatches SP cars on the sheriffs freq, same thing in Chautauqua Co, if I recall correctly, they were on the sheriffs TG or their own TG. In Wyoming County, SP talks on the sheriffs channel as well. I regularly monitor the Troop A B to M and M to B channels, and don't hear a peep for days.

Thanks, I've heard them also dispatched on Niagara and Genesee/Orleans Counties systems as well. Back in the day, you'd hear them on 155.505/535, nowadays you hardly ever hear them.

D

DaveNF2G

I think NYSP wanted to sunset the VHF system after NYSWIN went live. There isn't going to be NYSWIN, but the VHF system is still very old. Putting the Troopers on the local and regional dispatch systems is probably Plan B, but Troop D was doing that years ago, so it seems like a natural evolution.

WQPW689

In response to this thread, I've listened to the system for the past few days. Just heard a Troop NYC unit stop a vehicle on the FDR drive 1310 hrs EST, close to the bridge where it turns into the Harlem River Drive, TG 3001. Heard another unit yesterday, but the troop units seem sparse.

I hear a lot more in the later afternoon from the DEC Police on TG 6001 and even later on from the NYS Park Units on 6011, mostly securing the parks for the night. Dunno exactly how many parks they have in NYC, but I hear them.

Listening from Bayonne with a 436 and the Remtronix 800 antenna. Very clear, and that antenna seems to work better than most for this system.

Edit: Just heard from another Troop NYC car on the Henry Hudson parkway asking for another unit to assist in a vehicle search about 1332 hrs. So maybe it's feast or famine with these guys.

Last edited:

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
90% or more of NYSP dispatching at least in the Westchester, Putnam and Dutchess area is on the VHF or MDT. The Metro-25 (located on the Chrysler building) has lots of dead spots, even the real users of the system complain. I am still trying to get my radios to hear it, as I still get out of range.

SOFA_KING

Troop K & F are still VHF and active, and the radio equipment sounds like it's on its last legs.

The best way to scan them so you have any chance of hearing those quick transmissions is to put Base to Mobile and Mobile to Base frequencies at the top of your scan list with scan delay set to 0, Priority set ON, and Priority DND turned on with a 1 second interval set. Even with tons of other stuff scanning (some also priority) I hear them every time. Amazing how well that works! Priority DND saved the day.

Phil

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Troop K & F are still VHF and active, and the radio equipment sounds like it's on its last legs.

Huh? How does does the equipment sound like its on its last legs? Just prior to narrowbanding all the base stations, mobiles, portables were all replaced. Some troops have been testing out the repeater functions on the bases.

I live in Troop K's coverage area and from my experience nothing sounds like its on its last leg,

SOFA_KING

Huh? How does does the equipment sound like its on its last legs? Just prior to narrowbanding all the base stations, mobiles, portables were all replaced. Some troops have been testing out the repeater functions on the bases.

I live in Troop K's coverage area and from my experience nothing sounds like its on its last leg,

Uhhh...Well then the people supposedly maintaining this system suck. Several times from last night to just a moment ago, one of the troops calls out on Statewide. After they unkey the mic, the transmitter hangs for maybe two minutes or more. Then we have a Troop K transmitter somewhere down in Putnam (or south of that) that has the worst raspy audio I have ever heard on ANY transmitter. The Poughkeepsie dispatchers often ask the troopers to call them on the phone. And are the troopers too lazy to pick up the microphone to talk, or are the radios not driving the modulator with enough mic gain? The STAR ID data burst is plenty loud though, so maybe it's bad operator practice.

But does that sound like a system that is functioning well? Not to me! Out of everything I listen to, that system sucks. Nothing against you, but I hear problems.

So, what are these "repeater functions"? What frequency or tone is being used for that? I haven't heard any of that. Any P25 going on?

Oops! There is another Statewide transmitter hangup right now. I don't think that is a repeater tail. So the dispatcher just asked for the trooper to call him on the phone. See what I mean?

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.