Listening to Older Calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ason12

I've been attempting to dive through some of the forums for this answer and Google, but I don't think I'm that great at searching. I've been looking for a way to listen to older police calls/archives from last month and I'm not sure how to go about doing that.

Also, if I know the city, what is the best way to find the correct station to find archives of?

Thanks so much!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Unless you record them yourself, you are probably SOL. Most stream providers do not keep long-term archives of traffic--all you can get is live traffic, possibly delayed a few minutes.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Maybe if we knew what exactly you were attempting to look for, we could suggest an alternative. I don't know of any way the average citizen would be able to get archived recordings of police radio calls. Obviously, individual police agencies keep recordings of all their radio calls, but you'd need a damn good reason, a court, and a subpoena for that.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Maybe if we knew what exactly you were attempting to look for, we could suggest an alternative. I don't know of any way the average citizen would be able to get archived recordings of police radio calls. Obviously, individual police agencies keep recordings of all their radio calls, but you'd need a damn good reason, a court, and a subpoena for that.

I don't think a subpoena or court order would be necessary. Most transmissions are public record in most states. Most departments will provide the formation, perhaps begrudgingly. They might also charge for it, as they would any other public record they had to search for.

The news media gets it all the time but I don't know whether or not they pay for it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
News media typically have scanners, rather than getting recordings from the PD.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
News media typically have scanners, rather than getting recordings from the PD.

I'm sure they have the scanners but they don't record them. It would be a lot of trouble to record the various agencies they monitor. Why should they? They can get it from the agency.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Okay, folks, I've go to back pedal a bit. I guess it was a brain fart but, for some reason, I was confusing 911 calls and radio dispatches. Radio traffic is still public record, for the most part, but usually the only ones who care about them are the courts and investigators.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Okay, folks, I've go to back pedal a bit. I guess it was a brain fart but, for some reason, I was confusing 911 calls and radio dispatches. Radio traffic is still public record, for the most part, but usually the only ones who care about them are the courts and investigators.

I'd think you'd have to have a legitimate reason that was in the public interest to request archived radio communications from your PD. That request may even fall under the state's Freedom of Information Law, and would certainly require some type of fee for the transcript. In over 35 years of monitoring police communications, I've only ever seen one publicly accessible release of recorded police comm's: the NYPD on September 11, 2001.

Chronic

If it is a agency streamed here on Broadcastify there is 180 days of archived audio. You just need to be a paid subscriber to have access to the archives.

paulmohr

Like Chronic said, if it streams on broadcastify there is an archive. If not, maybe try youtube. Sometimes if was something really major someone might have uploaded it to youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.