Listening to P25 channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
Since the P25 protocol is new in our area, I am now listening to it on my BCD-396XT for the first time. One thing I've noticed; When the P25 agency is transmitting, the 396XT seems to "check" the control channel during the transmission which causes a "break" in the transmission. I can see the P25 on the LCD display go on and off as the control channel is checked. Is there a way to stop this? One would think if the scanner is receiving traffic on the P25 channel, there wouldn't be a need to check the control channel until the P25 transmission stops.

And no, I do not have priority, Close Call, WX alert or any other function enabled that would cause the "break".

Also, why does it sound as if the audio is phase shifting on the P25 channels? Meaning the pitch goes up and down.

Thank you.

BHinAZ

What kind of signal strength are you showing? Could a weak signal be the issue?

Acceptable digital audio requires a better consistent signal than analog. I've noticed that two bars or less makes for difficult listening.

If the signal is good, what is the approximate frequency rate of the interrupts ( couple of times a second, every three seconds, etc.).

I have a problem with my 396XT where it "clips" parts of indvidual words during a transmission over a true P25 Motorola simulcast system, and I have 5 bars showing. The 396T does not do that. I will have to watch and see if is going to the control channel as you suggested.

Tryton

do you have your system set to p25 only? I dont know if that would help but if your system is set to all, it could cause issues.

PCTEK

Premium Subscriber
update

It may be a signal strength issue. I only show 2 bars when it starts jumping between the control channel and the talk group. Thanks BH

Status
Not open for further replies.