• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Listening to P25 system, missing transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
I'm listening to Alachua County Florida's P25 system, and i have a portable on the system right next to my scanner. I seem to be missing some radio transmissions, even when there seems to be no activity on the scanner.

At first I just thought it was activity on another TG (i only have 10 programmed), but I have been missing some when there is no other activity. Do I have to do something with a delay or timing or something?

I'm using a Uniden BCD996T if that helps.

wsmoore

Database Admin
The GRU system is not a P-25 system, so it needs to be set for Motorola Type 2 800.It is a (3600)P-16 system that uses P-25 voice.If it was a true P-25 System it would use 9600 bd.If that doesn't work make sure you have all freq in or just use CC only trunking.Also if you have a system radio next to the scanner it will desense the scanner so you have to seperate them by a couple of feet.

Last edited:

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
wsmoore said:
The GRU system is not a P-25 system, so it needs to be set for Motorola Type 2 800.It is a (3600)P-16 system that uses P-25 voice.If it was a true P-25 System it would use 9600 bd.If that doesn't work make sure you have all freq in or just use CC only trunking.
Alright, thanks. Will that help with clarity isssues as well? Also, some of the talkgroups ARE digital, but that setting will still work with them?

crazyboy

UFEMTFF said:
Alright, thanks. Will that help with clarity isssues as well? Also, some of the talkgroups ARE digital, but that setting will still work with them?

Yes if you reread what hes saying, he said that it is a p-16 system that uses p25 voice. (digital)

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
Well I went to change it, and the only settings the 996 has is "Moto type I" or "moto type II / P25".

Mine was already set to the latter. Any more sugguestions?

wsmoore

Database Admin
Did you move the system radio away from the scanner?Double check and make sure you have it set to control channel only .How far are you from the system?

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
I'm willing to bet your programming is fine based on what you've said so far.

Unidens will miss talkgroup calls once and a while. It happens, well a lot more than GREs, but it shouldn't be happening constantly.

-Wayne

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You didn't mention whether the site was correctly programmed as a "800 MHz Standard" (the settings you mentioned are system settings, not site).

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
UPMan said:
You didn't mention whether the site was correctly programmed as a "800 MHz Standard" (the settings you mentioned are system settings, not site).
Versus what? He seems to get some traffic so that would rule that out.

-Wayne

UFEMTFF

Feed Provider
wayne_h said:
I'm willing to bet your programming is fine based on what you've said so far.

Unidens will miss talkgroup calls once and a while. It happens, well a lot more than GREs, but it shouldn't be happening constantly.

-Wayne
I'd say I miss 1 in 5 transmissions, even when there isn't a lot of talking. What is the delay used for, and what should I have it set at?

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
W4KRR said:
Versus 800 MHz Splinter.
It's an 866 system so it wouldn't matter whether he was in splinter or normal.

UFEMTFF, the delay won't help you. The hold will tell the scanner to scan the control channel for that amount of time and the delay will hold onto the talkgroup after it was active. Maybe try setting the hold for longer.

-Wayne

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
wayne_h said:
It's an 866 system so it wouldn't matter whether he was in splinter or normal.-Wayne

Okay; what about systems that have both frequencies in the 866-868 MHz range, and frequencies in the 851-866 MHz range? Splinter or normal?

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
W4KRR said:
Okay; what about systems that have both frequencies in the 866-868 MHz range, and frequencies in the 851-866 MHz range? Splinter or normal?
Splinter. The area you are in will define Splinter use or not. So basically every 800MHz freq (less than 866) would be offset regardless of its use or purpose. The freqs in the 866 sub-band already have their own control channel freq IDs so it wouldn't apply to them. AFAIK it only applies to States that border Mexico.

Anywho, OT. Check out the search for more info. ;)

-Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.