Listening to Radio ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

oesjmr

Premium Subscriber
I have a PRO-106 using the Win500 software and was wondering if there was a way to listen by Radio ID instead of Group ID. I know I can listen to private calls if I program in the Radio ID as a Private channel, but can I follow a Radio ID across talkgroups?

I listen to the Franklin County Public Service system in Ohio. I'd like to be able to listen in to individual fire units, regardless which talkgroup they're on. For example, could I listen to CFD Medic 22 no matter if they're on 9 Freeway, 9 Delta, Hospital talkgroups or any other talkgroup? Their Radio ID is 2250. Is there any way to track that Radio ID across all talkgroups on the system?

n0lqt

Sure, put the RadioID in as a Private ID object associated with that system. Set up a scanlist that has that object in it and away you go. The scanlist can have objects from multiple trunked or conventional systems if you want. You can even have multiple scanlists with just RadioID objects in it and the individual objects can be in multiple scanlists all at the same time. The radio doesn't care. That's the beauty of OOP!

I have several of our local state police RadioID's plugged in to several scanlists with other conventional "county" systems. That way I don't have to listen to all the junk from 200 miles away on our State-wide Inter-Op system just to hear the local troopers. One cavet though. To hear the response or initial-call from the dispatcher, you have to have the dispatch console IDs plugged in as well.....

oesjmr

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply! I'm not too concerned about not hearing the dispatch or replies. If it is something good, I'll turn on the talkgroup to hear everything. I just wasn't sure if the Private ID would only track private calls or if it would track across talkgroups. I'll give it a try, thanks again!

mikey60

There is no option to listen to a talkgroup based on a radio ID. Entering the radio ID will only work when that radio is being used in a private call.

A radio making a group call will not cause the scanner to stop on that talkgroup, even if the radio ID is programmed in.

Mike

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
My pro-106 and Pro-18 will alarm on a specific radio ID. Next time I get my hands on a city radio, I will test to see if the scanner will follow the Radio ID on different talk groups.

n0lqt

There is no option to listen to a talkgroup based on a radio ID. Entering the radio ID will only work when that radio is being used in a private call.

A radio making a group call will not cause the scanner to stop on that talkgroup, even if the radio ID is programmed in. Mike

My Pro-106 and Pro-197 both do. True, they won't always pick up the RadioID in every transmission, about 65-75% now after some "tweaking" of some of the timeout and threshold values for my state's system as each system and site is somewhat different. But I don't think it needs to be a private-call/i-call to trigger the RadioID.

JoeyC

My Pro-106 and Pro-197 both do. True, they won't always pick up the RadioID in every transmission, about 65-75% now after some "tweaking" of some of the timeout and threshold values for my state's system as each system and site is somewhat different. But I don't think it needs to be a private-call/i-call to trigger the RadioID.

He wants to program a RadioID and be able to have the radio playback whatever talkgroup the RadioID is tuned to. No you can not program the radio and have it "follow" the subscribers talkgroup selection. Your radio picks up RadioIDs because the talkgroup its currently on is programmed into your scanner. It sounds like the OP wants to program the RadioID and park the scanner on the RadioID in manual mode and have it follow all talkgroups the radio tunes to and NO, you cannot do that.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
It would be a great feature to have, but hard for the scanner to get the TGID follow the com, yet specifically look for a RadioID and only follow it. Other than tracking a private call (as it does now), I don't think we'll see it as a scanner feature.

oesjmr

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies everyone! Since it looks like it isn't possible to follow a Radio ID across talkgroups, is there anyway that I could put a filter on a talkgroup so I only hear particular Radio IDs? Example: I have talkgroup 9 Delta in the scanlist but I only hear it if a Radio ID of my choosing (i.e. 2250) is transmitting.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin

it will probably work OK as long as it's a private call. Group calls are another issue.

The problem mainly lies in the message trunking used by the system you're monitoring; unless that radio is set to PTT-ID (where it transmits the radio ID every time the PTT is pressed) your chances of reliably following a particular ID are slim.

On top of that, with message trunking, the transmitting radio ID doesn't always come through reliably when the channel hang time (about 2-3 seconds) is still active; as long as they keep keying up on top of the hang time, the ID may or may not come through.

Combine the two issues, and you'll get Medic 22's ID about half the time. I'm pretty sure they're using a newer radio which only allows PTT-ID, so that will improve your chances somewhat.

And if you want to hear everything from Medic 22, you need to use 2250 (the vehicle), 2251 and 2252 (the portables), and 2259 (the radio in the back, if they use a separate radio in the back).

aps_ak

Premium Subscriber
I guess another question related to this - sounds like it's not always possible to get ID's to show up. Is there anything I could do to maximize the amount of times the radio ID's do show up? Why does is show up some times but not others? I'm primarily scanning P25 and Motorola II trunked systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.