Listening to same talkgroup on different towers

Status
Not open for further replies.

shteb13

Just wondering, if I am listening to a specific talkgroup will the transmissions be the same across all towers? For example if I am listening to Toronto police 32 division on the north tower (seems logical) would the same transmissions be heard if I was scanning on the south tower?What could I be missing? (if anything) The reason I ask is because the majority of my scanning is done mobile, and I like to keep tabs on certain talkgroups. Any info would be appreciated.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Depends on your model of scanner and how you set-it-up

The newer scanners 996T/346XT/396XT/996XT have multi-site and you can program in the different sites separate and it will scan them.

However once you click HOLD on a Uniden you are scanning ONLY the 1 tower that you held on (not sure if this applies to the HomePatrol or not but definitely the rest of the scanners).

The older unidens (246T/396T) you had to program each site as a separate system. If you programmed multiple sites in one system .. the scanner ONLY scans the 1st control channel it sees. So although you think you found a loophole to get multi-site scanning you really didnt.

On newer radioshack (106/197) and gre psr-500/600 if you click on MAN you will still retain multi-site (provided you programmed in multiple sites and you listed multi-site option to STAT.
PAUSE will hold on the one tower ONLY and effectivly disables multi-site.

So on the those radios use MAN.

Again I dont know about the HP-1, I assume it checks other sites but not definite. Maybe someone else can fill in.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

I think that the south tower will have all the talkgroups of at least the police service.

As for fire: the dispatch talkgroups are all on the south tower but if there is a call in the furthest part of the west end you will probably hear fire calls pertaining to the area in this case, the west talk group.

slicerwizard

I think that the south tower will have all the talkgroups of at least the police service.
No, definitely not. Most talkgroups are only carried on south zone (or any other zone) if one or more radio users presently in that zone are parked on the given talkgroup. In general, the system does not send voice traffic to zones where no user is listening, so for example, you would rarely hear 42 Division on south zone, because 42 Division officers' radios rarely affiliate to south zone.

If listener(s) are in a given zone, their voice traffic will be routed to that zone, but as soon as the last user leaves (deaffiliates or moves to another zone), the system will immediately cease routing their talkgroup's audio to the zone, even in mid-transmission.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9300; en) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.526 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

slicerwizard said:
No, definitely not. Most talkgroups are only carried on south zone (or any other zone) if one or more radio users presently in that zone are parked on the given talkgroup. In general, the system does not send voice traffic to zones where no user is listening, so for example, you would rarely hear 42 Division on south zone, because 42 Division officers' radios rarely affiliate to south zone.

If listener(s) are in a given zone, their voice traffic will be routed to that zone, but as soon as the last user leaves (deaffiliates or moves to another zone), the system will immediately cease routing their talkgroup's audio to the zone, even in mid-transmission.

You would know Andy. I have heard most if not all the divisons on the south tower though.

Status
Not open for further replies.