Listening to "unused" frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DaveNF2G

I have a lot of channelized services programmed into my scanners (marine, rail, etc.). Where some of the channels are in local use, I have them duplicated. The local use channels are alpha tagged according to their users and are in separate banks. Those channels are locked out in the full channelized bank for the relevant service. This makes it possible to identify "new" users of previously unassigned or unknown channels in a service.

As an example, I often hear conversations between itinerant truckers on the Interstates in the Albany area on 160.845 MHz (no CTCSS or DCS), which is a locally unassigned railroad channel. I believe this frequency is dually allocated to trucking services as well.

QDP2012

...I often hear conversations between itinerant truckers on the Interstates in the Albany area on 160.845 MHz (no CTCSS or DCS), which is a locally unassigned railroad channel. I believe this frequency is dually allocated to trucking services as well.

Not sure if these are related, but a quick search of the DB shows 160.845 (AAR 049) assigned to two entities in NY:
  • South Brooklyn Railway (SBK) - Private Carriers (NY State Railways) (here)
  • Transit Authority - NYC Services (New York) (here)

The FCC Search lists:
  • 3 "NYC Transit Authority" entities in Kings County (KGL738, KGL739, KGL741),
  • 1 NYS Electric and Gas Corp in Cobleskill, Schoharie (WPKR412).

I might be wrong, but the map seems to place KGL739 close to some shipping terminals. The DB notes that SBK
is a freight subsidiary of MTA/NYCTA in Brooklyn, NY.

Any chance that the trucking services you hear might be related to one of the above entites?

Just a thought,

Last edited:

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
Dave,

Sometimes I find Canadian trucking companies using their mobile radios while on the Northway and on approach to the Thruway. I've logged in truckers in the 162-174 MHz. range (which in Canada is just a regular LMR band with public safety and business users) as well as the 408-430 MHz range. The only thing with the 162-174 band is that in Canada the channel spacing is not 12.5 kHz., its 15 kHz. So the frequencies sometimes appear off-channel from the standard plan. Last one I logged was a group of truckers on 458.0875 MHz. Sadly, my Canadian French isn't what it used to be (which wasn't much to begin with) so I have great difficulty understanding what they're talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.