Listening to Washentaw County / Ann Arbor From Detroit Metro Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wthom100

Hello -

I live in Bloomfield Twp, Mi (about 30 miles northeast of Ann Arbor).

I have often found it difficult to get Washtenaw County / Ann Arbor traffic on my RS Pro-197 scanner.

I know Washtenaw Cty / Ann Arbor seem to use 2 different trunk systems (MPSC, and the Washtenaw / Ann Arbor Government System which appears to be Smartnet II).

I programed in all the MPSC channels Washtenaw / Ann Arbor police / fire channels with the correct control channels and really get nothing - just a few blips and hits - nothing sustained - nothing more than a few seconds and very sparse traffic)

Is it possible that Washtenaw / Ann Arbor is too far away? Or maybe most of the traffic is on the Smartnet II trunk system (Washtenaw / Arbor Government system).

Is anyone else getting Ann Arbor from the northern / eastern Detroit metro area?

Thanks

KD8FSJ

Premium Subscriber
You will have a difficult time with the Washtenaw County Simulcast System from that distance even with a good outdoor antenna. You could still program Washtenaw talkgroups and try to monitor them off other towers like Northville. There is no guarantee you will hear them 100% of the time, but I do hear Washtenaw dispatch traffic often on other area towers like Northville. All depends if a radio is affiliated with the tower and on the particular talkgroup you are trying to monitor. I live in Washtenaw County and still have a hard time monitoring the system with my scanner depending where I am at the time.

The smartnet system is backup for public safety. I think some non public safety users still use that system, but all Washtenaw Public Safety is now on the MPSCS.

Good Luck!

Paul

Hello -

I live in Bloomfield Twp, Mi (about 30 miles northeast of Ann Arbor).

I have often found it difficult to get Washtenaw County / Ann Arbor traffic on my RS Pro-197 scanner.

I know Washtenaw Cty / Ann Arbor seem to use 2 different trunk systems (MPSC, and the Washtenaw / Ann Arbor Government System which appears to be Smartnet II).

I programed in all the MPSC channels Washtenaw / Ann Arbor police / fire channels with the correct control channels and really get nothing - just a few blips and hits - nothing sustained - nothing more than a few seconds and very sparse traffic)

Is it possible that Washtenaw / Ann Arbor is too far away? Or maybe most of the traffic is on the Smartnet II trunk system (Washtenaw / Arbor Government system).

Is anyone else getting Ann Arbor from the northern / eastern Detroit metro area?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.