BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Lithium batteries ok?

motorman105

Premium Subscriber
Just bought some Lithium AA batteries for my Blink cameras and was wondering if there was any reason (aside from the high cost) not to use them in my BCD325P2.
Has anyone tried this?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Yes. I do it when I go to airshows. I buy the expensive disposable Everready batteries and carry spares with me. They are disposable so you can not recharge them but they do give a longer runtime. You should also look at rechargable batteries like Nicads and nickel metal hydrides. They won’t last as long but you get to recharge and use them again.

wtp

i just grab 2 extra cells if i leave the house.
some pants have a battery pocket that they call a coin pocket for some reason...

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
There are now Lithium ion AA Rechargable batteries available. I hoped they were as long lasting as the Everready lithium ion disposables and a better choice cost wise. But a previous post points out the internal circuitry of the cells (to reduce the voltage-a single lithium ion cell is rated at 3.5-3.7 volts, not like any regular AA disposables rated at 1.5 volts) may create interference within the frequency ranges scanners recieve. I haven’t had any problems using these rechargable L-I batteries but do not doubt the other posts that warn against it. Either way, the new rechargables won’t be hazardous to the scanner if you want to try them.

lamarrsy

Premium Subscriber
I’ve used Lithium Ion AAs in my scanners, but the thing that made me abandon them was that there was no leading time before exhaustion, not even enough lead time for the low battery warning !
They offer really good autonomy, but they fall dead before you know it, and then when you realize that the scanner has been silent for a time, it’s *there* that you see that the AAs are exhausted 😕

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Good point. They do drop off rapidly. I will be checking if I get the low battery warning with the 4 TENAVOLTS rechargable Lithium batteries I have. (Note the batteries are labeled as Lithium batteries… not Lithium Polymer or Lithium Ion. These different names cause me concern when it comes to their various characteristics. Are they comparable?