Little assistance with multiple radio networks on one system

iceman977th

Feed Provider
I'm finally making the dive into converting from scanners to SDR based receivers, and hopefully expanding what I'm picking up. I ordered a new PC to use and test with, hoping it will have enough HP (but if not, I will set up a dedicated server using my old Ryzen 7 3700X and some other components)
I'm looking to receive 4-6 individual counties.

County 1: All VHF conventional, P25 and a couple analog
County 2: All VHF analog
County 3: All VHF analog
County 4: All UHF analog
County 5: VHF analog and UHF P25 trunked
County 6: VHF analog and 7/800 P25 trunked
Also would like to do a 7th "system" receiving local 2m ham radio channels.

I'm obviously going to have to get several SDR's set up to receive all the channels I'm looking for, and I'm trying to calculate the best ways to do so, but I'm curious if there is anything I should know using something like SDRTrunk to do the processing to Calls as well as regular scanner feeds. Will I need individual SDRTrunk instances for each county, or can I send to multiple individual feeds with one instance?

Any assistance appreciated

Mike

AttentiveBadger

Premium Subscriber
SDRT is more than capable of receiving and processing multiple systems as long as you have enough dongles to cover the bandwidth and your PC can keep up.

Remember when planning that most SDRs only cover about 2.4mhz (10mhz for the more advanced units).

iceman977th

Feed Provider
SDRT is more than capable of receiving and processing multiple systems as long as you have enough dongles to cover the bandwidth and your PC can keep up.

Remember when planning that most SDRs only cover about 2.4mhz (10mhz for the more advanced units).
That's my plan.. I'm planning on ordering 1 SMArt v5 for 2 meter ham, and probably 3-4 RSP1A's to do what I need to do. One for VHF (multiple county conventional systems) one or two for UHF (analog and WV SIRN..have to see what the frequencies land in to see if I need a second), and one for 7/800 (OH MARCS ingest)

My main concern is that I'll have multiple counties and I want to both split them up to individual radio feeds as well as Calls ingest, is that possible?
Side note: I've been playing with SDRTrunk to understand it's operation but I keep hitting issues with not being able to listen to a single analog channel, software keeps saying "No Tuner Available" despite the SDR tuned to that frequency.. but I've had no problem with P25 or DMR. Keep getting errors like this.

Mike

1711417681453.png

AttentiveBadger

Premium Subscriber
My main concern is that I'll have multiple counties and I want to both split them up to individual radio feeds as well as Calls ingest, is that possible?
It is! Recording and streaming are controlled by your Alias list(s). You could have each talkgroup go to a different feed if you wanted to get that granular.

Side note: I've been playing with SDRTrunk to understand it's operation but I keep hitting issues with not being able to listen to a single analog channel, software keeps saying "No Tuner Available" despite the SDR tuned to that frequency.. but I've had no problem with P25 or DMR. Keep getting errors like this.
For conventional channels you still have to create a channel in the Playlist Editor. You shouldn't need to manually tune the SDR at all in the Tuners page, SDRT moves it around as defined in your channels.

There's quite of bit of info here in the SDRT wiki. It's a bit of a learning curve but once you get the methodology it works super well.

TwoKings

It is! Recording and streaming are controlled by your Alias list(s). You could have each talkgroup go to a different feed if you wanted to get that granular.

For conventional channels you still have to create a channel in the Playlist Editor. You shouldn't need to manually tune the SDR at all in the Tuners page, SDRT moves it around as defined in your channels.

There's quite of bit of info here in the SDRT wiki. It's a bit of a learning curve but once you get the methodology it works super well.
I never made the post you quoted and are answering here, what is happening right now? lol.

AttentiveBadger

Premium Subscriber
I never made the post you quoted and are answering here, what is happening right now? lol.
Weird. I quoted the OP using the quote button but it tagged you :/ I'm on mobile so there's a good chance I accidentally tapped something and didn't notice.