Little BCT15X question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
Just a little question, I have a BCT15X scanner and use a Radio Shack Center-Loaded Telescoping Whip Antenna (model/catalog# 20-006)
Model20-006.jpg

I receive fine 90% of the time but sometimes at night not so good, for a couple channels. Ok ok I just thinking about a new toy to play with.
Also the scanner is right in front of a window. Plugged right into scanner.
Would I benefit from a bigger antenna? A Mobile sitting in the window sill? A small outdoor one at ground level? or the one on the chimney on the roof. BTW I was trying to stay away from rooftop because of lightning.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Any antenna outside will peform better then one inside,as for trying a different kind of antenna for indoors,go for it.It might work better then the one your using right now,or it might not be any better,or even worse.

By the way,what kind of freqs are you listening to?

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
yea, about answered what I thought, outside better. Why buy another indoor one, just buy an outside one. I was just worried about lightning strikes. But then again I used to have a CB antenna on the chimmy years ago. My father clamped a ground wire to the pole and ran it to a metal pole he struck into the ground. Also my house is a ranch and the 2 on either side are 2 1/2 tall and yard is surrounded with very, very tall oak trees. So maybe lighting strike it the least I have to worry about.

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
oh sorry, I forgot to tell ya who I listen to.
I listen to all fire in Union county and Union County mutual aid, and Newark Fire, Irvington Fire, Essex county mutal aid(for what it's worth)(they need a work over, mutal aid there stinks compared to Union county). NJSP parkway (north) NJTPK (north) NorthStar, SouthStar.
I have all pd also but I'm tired of listening to them after I retired.

I use "FreeScan" and have all my stuff broken down if you want them or will make one up for ya.

Last edited:

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
yea, about answered what I thought, outside better. Why buy another indoor one, just buy an outside one. I was just worried about lightning strikes. But then again I used to have a CB antenna on the chimmy years ago. My father clamped a ground wire to the pole and ran it to a metal pole he struck into the ground. Also my house is a ranch and the 2 on either side are 2 1/2 tall and yard is surrounded with very, very tall oak trees. So maybe lighting strike it the least I have to worry about.

Well I have heard that lighting stikes the tallest thing in the area of the strike,but its better to be safe then sorry.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
oh sorry, I forgot to tell ya who I listen to.
I listen to all fire in Union county and Union County mutual aid, and Newark Fire, Irvington Fire, Essex county mutal aid(for what it's worth)(they need a work over, mutal aid there stinks compared to Union county). NJSP parkway (north) NJTPK (north) NorthStar, SouthStar.
I have all pd also but I'm tired of listening to them after I retired.

I use "FreeScan" and have all my stuff broken down if you want them or will make one up for ya.

The Diamond D-130J discone sounds about right for those kind of freqs,as they are mainly the VHF/UHF/800 MHZ type.

Diamond D-130J D-130NJ Discone Antenna

But if you want something lower priced,the Antennacraft ST2 would be good.But the D-130J is built more sturdy

Antennacraft ST2 Scanner Antenna, Antenna Craft ST-2

Bronco90

Premium Subscriber
Thanks a lot for the response, I think I'll go for the diamond one, it's only about 100 bucks and if I want better I have to pay after all it's not like a car or a boat that you always have to dump money into, there is only so much you can do to scanners so it's worth it. Oh how is that one for a Digital scanner? I am sure in the near future I will have to buy a digital scanner.

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Thanks a lot for the response, I think I'll go for the diamond one, it's only about 100 bucks and if I want better I have to pay after all it's not like a car or a boat that you always have to dump money into, there is only so much you can do to scanners so it's worth it. Oh how is that one for a Digital scanner? I am sure in the near future I will have to buy a digital scanner.

Am not sure how good it works with a digital scanner itself,as different scanners can have no problems with RF and while some others can.But it should work pretty good with those kind of freqs you want to listen to.

The only problem you would have with a antenna,would not be receiving the signals you want,or it not transmitting right.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.