Little Help, Plz: Runaway Transmitter, Maybe White Plains, 462.550 - 462.5625

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyshrink

Hi folks,

GMRS users around here have been working on an interference issue that has been popping up lately on 462.550. It is a constant "buzzing" noise that can be heard as far as New Brunswick, NJ. It is DFQ on me in Valhalla.

I had some time on my hands this morning and did some RDF work. It seems to be emanating from White Plains, particularly somewhere at the intersection of Main St. & Court St. The closet I got to pinpointing it was that is seems to be transmitting from the roof of the Ritz Carlton Residences.

Also, I think the freq is actually 462.5625 in the FRS spectrum, but this aint no FRS transmitter. A NYC user reported hearing Chinese voices, but I have not heard that. There are Spanish taxi companies below it, on 462.525 and 462.500.

Any help, either confirmatory or contradictory is appreciated!! :p

Last edited:

scannersnstuff

i'm getting a constant open carrier/no buzzing in coastal/eastern monmouth county n.j. pl tone of 114.8.
can not replicate any signal on 462.5625. hope this help's. pegging my s-meter.

hockeyshrink

Thanks pdfdems, this is helpful.

I've tried setting my receiver to 114.8, then all the CTCSS freqs, and it does not break through for me.

This is weird, LOL

Thanks!

hockeyshrink

UPDATE: It's AT&T in White Plains

I posted on gmrsrepeater Yahoo group:

Re: Interference / static RX on 462.5500 GMRS in NYC area

Hi Folks,

Here's the scoop:

I went to the Ritz Carlton Residences, and was politely told that the person I needed to speak to was in a meeting and would call me back, so I left my number and quietly left.

Guess what..SHE CALLED ME BACK!! I explained who I was and what I was doing and asked that the engineers ask tenants with transmitters to check them. She then proceeded to explain that there have been complaints from tenants about interference with all kinds of radio systems in the building, and that she has hired consultants to figure out what is going on.

Her people are pointing to an AT&T facility across the street as the source of all the troubles. They apparently have some new equipment that her consultants believe is interfering with many radio different radio systems of their tenants. The antenna structure on the AT&T building has nowhere near the height of the Ritz Carlton and Trump towers in the area, but I suppose it could be sufficiently elevated to reach New Brunswick and Monmouth, NJ.

In any event I wrote her a nice email thanking her and offering my observations regarding the interference on GMRS that her team can incorporate into their investigation.

I am not sure if I will go to the AT&T building at this point. I guess I have
nothing to lose, but I am not sure how successful thay outing would be.

Hi folks,

GMRS users around here have been working on an interference issue that has been popping up lately on 462.550. It is a constant "buzzing" noise that can be heard as far as New Brunswick, NJ. It is DFQ on me in Valhalla.

I had some time on my hands this morning and did some RDF work. It seems to be emanating from White Plains, particularly somewhere at the intersection of Main St. & Court St. The closet I got to pinpointing it was that is seems to be transmitting from the roof of the Ritz Carlton Residences.

Also, I think the freq is actually 462.5625 in the FRS spectrum, but this aint no FRS transmitter. A NYC user reported hearing Chinese voices, but I have not heard that. There are Spanish taxi companies below it, on 462.525 and 462.500.

Any help, either confirmatory or contradictory is appreciated!! :p

Alarms50

Last edited:

hockeyshrink

I am NOT crazy!!!

Yesterday (Friday), while driving North on the Taconic Parkway I got the buzzing on FRS 1 - 462.5625 from the Kensico Dam Circle to just South of Lakeview Drive. This may just be a line of sight shot from WP.

That's it my friend!! I located the source yesterday, it's not a repeater and it's not in White Plains. This is an AC emissions problem coming from a drop to a house in Valhalla, just a few hundred feet from my home. The buzzing affects an area from Broadway and Oxford extending down past Kensico Plaza and into NWP.

The runaway repeater is in Queens and confounded my RDF search on 550. Turned out to be two separate problems affecting my 550 operation. As of tonight, the repeater been repaired - again, and is functioning properly.

I'm contacting ConEd and the FCC about the AC emission next week.

You are the first independent verification of this "buzzing" problem.

Thank you!!

Al

SCANdal

Silent Key
hock,

462.550R (114.8) is the standard repeater output combination used by the Long Island GMRS Community Radio Alliance. There are four repeaters up (titled A, B, L, and O) from Queens County east through Suffolk County.

SCANdal

Some-Guy

I found this thread from a Google search as I also found interference on the same frequency on my "bubble pack" (absolutely love that term) GMRS radio. I do frequency monitors and it often hits (Motorola) channel 15 with audible buzzing if the radio was placed near my computer. Turns out it was due to my portable FiiO headphone amplifier in the process of charging on its base station so I agree about the discussion on AC emissions. If I take the device out of the charging station, the transmission stops. The amplifier is of decent quality and you would think it's properly shielded from outside RF energy, but it's still made in China. I have a pair of Sennheiser 595 headphones attached and haven't ever noticed audio interference with them, so the audio signals have to be clean, it's just the "charging" aspect is what's causing the 462.5500 interference. Only noticed it on that channel only.

I'd be curious to see how much RF energy these emissions are putting out and whether or not it's a potential health hazard since I can imagine a lot of people sleep in very close proximity to say -- an AC power strip, currently plugged into the wall with a ton of electronic devices attached.

This seems like a "general" topic so I hope a lot of people can see and comment on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.