Little Help with My BCD996T

Status
Not open for further replies.

ozone31912

Premium Subscriber
Sorry if this isn't the correct thread. I couldnt see a "Help" section.

I downloaded the database into my scanner using BCtool. Uploaded it and worked. My only problem is it won't scan the p25 channels.

Before I uploaded the database I manually put in the codes for my local PD departments. But it constantly said "Nothing to Scan". I unlocked all the signals and put in Quick Keys but still always had the problem of Nothing to Scan.

So I downloaded the database and it still won't scan the p25 channels. Am I missing something as easy as it doesn't show that it is scanning p25?

This is a pic of how I had it setup in BCtool

2-3.png

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Can't really tell from that screen shot. Did you input site information? What specific system is it?

(Also, the pic is too small to really tell much, even at the channels level you show, above.)

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Unfortunately I can't read that screen shot - but let's start with the Nothing to Scan message. It's so famous it has its own page in our FAQ

Nothing to Scan - The RadioReference Wiki

Now there are a couple of reasons why a P25 system isn't being scanned. Let's start with groups for the talkgroups - did you allocate and enable GQKs for these?

Did you allocate and enable a SQK for the P25 systems?

The reason I put it that way is that it's a 2 step process, at least in FreeScan - you must first select the QK you wish to use for the Group, then make sure it's enabled on the trunked system's form.

Are you clearly hearing the control channel? If not, it won't trunk no matter how much you mess around with the settings. I would also check what system/site type you have set for this system, which brings me to my next question...

It would also be quite helpful to know WHAT system you are trying to hear, and where you are (county/state is fine). Go up to the blue toolbar under the site title, float your mouse over Database then select Frequency Database Use the pulldowns and map to get to your area. C'mon back with the URL...

More information is needed...Mike

ozone31912

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately I can't read that screen shot - but let's start with the Nothing to Scan message. It's so famous it has its own page in our FAQ

Nothing to Scan - The RadioReference Wiki

Now there are a couple of reasons why a P25 system isn't being scanned. Let's start with groups for the talkgroups - did you allocate and enable GQKs for these?

Did you allocate and enable a SQK for the P25 systems?

The reason I put it that way is that it's a 2 step process, at least in FreeScan - you must first select the QK you wish to use for the Group, then make sure it's enabled on the trunked system's form.

Are you clearly hearing the control channel? If not, it won't trunk no matter how much you mess around with the settings. I would also check what system/site type you have set for this system, which brings me to my next question...

It would also be quite helpful to know WHAT system you are trying to hear, and where you are (county/state is fine). Go up to the blue toolbar under the site title, float your mouse over Database then select Frequency Database Use the pulldowns and map to get to your area. C'mon back with the URL...

More information is needed...Mike

So what I did was went to the 2 groups that weren't scanning and assigned them quick keys "1" and "2".

Then went to System properties and assigned it "3"(im assuming since I assigned 1 and 2 already I can't use 1 or 2 again?)

Thats where i'm at and doesn't want to work. It scans through the ones with the antenna symbol but won't pop up the names of the others.

This is where I am: Capital Region Emergency Services Telecom (CREST) Trunking System, Victoria, British Columbia - Scanner Frequencies

Edit: In BCtool the folders that won't scan are blue while the ones that are, are green.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
OK be very careful about your terminology - quick keys work differently at different levels. If you assigned GQKs (group quick key) 1 and 2 for your groups, there must be somewhere that enables those GQKs at the system level. I don't have BcTool so I can't look at this for you.

Also I see that this is not a true P25 system - it's mixed mode. This means that somewhere in BcTool, you will need supply the base/offset as listed in the database listing you supplied.

In addition you need to know specifically which site(s) you are trying to hear. The 996T can handle multiple sites - and in most cases, folks will assign separate Site Quick Keys for each one (see what I meant when I said that quick keys work differently)? You can't have all the sites in one - you need to split them off individually.

I think you would profit by reading the Easier to Read manual for the 996T....

Easier to Read BCD996T/UBCD996T Digital Scanner Manual

you might also want to go down to the Canadian Praires and Pacific forum and ask for a file for BcTool for the CREST system (I'm going to wager that folks will more likely have a FreeScan file, but what they hey, it can't hurt to ask). Sometimes seeing a working version makes the light turn on...

Mike

ozone31912

Premium Subscriber
The one supplied in that thread worked for me. I looked through the settings and didn't notice anything different from mine. Also when it is scanning, it still does not pop up with the PD name. I did however get a transmission for a briefs few seconds but nothing after that.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
The file supplied in that thread is not a BcTool file, but a FreeScan file. It likely wouldn't work right unless BcTool can directly import FreeScan's format.

I have FreeScan installed here, and the file in that thread does NOT have any quick keys allocated (neither site nor group). That's something you need to choose for yourself. Also notice that each site is broken out individually and the required band plan is specified on each one. The mode is set to ID Search, not ID Scan - the difference is easy to understand. ID Search will show everything being sent in the system, whether you want it or not. ID Scan only uses those groups that you have defined with talkgroups.

The system and site type is also very important.

The obvious question that remains here is that are you receiving any of these sites at a good signal level? If not, you can't trunk this system without some antenna improvements.

The only other way to go is to post your BcTool file (no I don't know which one) and let others see what you have. Frankly I think your better bet is to go get FreeScan and import that file from the thread. From there you can fool around with allocating your quick keys the way you wish. You can download it from here...

http://www.sixspotsoftware.com/downloads

Oh by the way, the software is Canadian (chuckle) Mike

Mike

Last edited:

ozone31912

Premium Subscriber
I loaded it with freescan in my last post and was able to load the file. Everything seems to be working perfectly now. I really appreciate the help. I'm going to look through the differences in the files and try to find what I was doing wrong. Thanks so much again.

SCPD

QRT
In fact it looks like this thread is talking about programming a 996XT for CREST - it should be close enough to at least get you started in the right direction...

http://forums.radioreference.com/pr...ed-some-help-program-my-bcd996xt-scanner.html

Mike

Thanks Mike ... yes this thread has a file which I created in FreeScan to be used with the CREST system in the Victoria Canada area. It has apparently been used by another RR member successfully to get their scanner going on the indicated system. I believe that the OP on this thread just has to use the supplied file for programming his scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.