Little or no signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvy44

Hi all,just mounted my ST-2 and it seems to work great.The only problem I am having is I live 20 minutes north of Cobourg Ontario Canada and I rarely pick up anything on them.I can pick up Kingston and toronto Opp which is over 1 and a half hours away.The antenna is about 30 ft off the ground with a few trees around.I used the rg6 cable it came with but I split it so I can use the same 396t scanner in 2 rooms.Any ideas as to how I can get the local site to come in would be appreciated.And no it is not locked out..

thanks Kevin

RISC777

What are you using to "split it," or how did you "split it" (the feedline) ??

gcgrotz

Maybe Cobourg has a poorly sited or low antenna. Maybe they are directional. These things happen, especially in smaller towns, they may have their ants on a short tower and it works just fine for them locally. There may be a hill between you and Cobourg. Since I don't know the area, you will have to check these things out for yourself. Get topo maps, drive down there, etc.

The fact that you can hear stuff more distant probably means your antenna is ok. You may just need a directional/beam antenna if that is the main interest. Also, try it without the splitter in line just to eliminate that possibility.

Last edited:

kvy44

I split it with a 2.ghz splitter, I was told it is a good one,I am assuming its a TV type splitter.I am above Cobourg as the lake is below me.Will try aiming it but I thought it was omni directional.

Kevin

brandon

Database Admin
How is the terrain? Are there any hills between you and Cobourg? If their transmitting antenna is lower than the terrain, it's going to really eat up the signal. I have a similar problem trying to monitor an agency on VHF here (city is about 20 miles away). There are some large hills between me and their antennas therefore the signal gets extremely distorted and static filled by the time it gets to me. However I can go 50+ miles away up in the high desert and hear them just fine because terrain is no longer a factor.

frankh

before you get your ladder out, try removing the splitter, most tv splitters need a load on both lags to work properly. you can pick up a 75 ohm terminator for the unused side of the splitter.

RISC777

True, Larry, nothing's been said about what frequency or range(s), I'm just thinking I wouldn't use a splitter if it's inducing enough loss to lose that much reception. If I were to split a feedline in that manner and still received enough signal to monitor whatever, I wouldn't worry about anyones opinion because it would be working for me how I wanted. I asked about how it (the feedline) was split in case the piece/component used to do the splitting was causing too much signal loss.

So height may help, true. For me, my ST-2 hasn't exhibited any signs of directionality. It's just a nagging thought, kvy44, that you'll find that splitter is causing the largest part of your problem.

`Doug

RISC777

kvy44, Let us know.

Another thing about most of thoose F connector splitters is if you drop them, a lot of times they won't work worth a crap after that, or only "partially" work. They're not all that "shock resistant." `heh`

`Doug

kvy44

Update

Just letting you know as soon as I raised it up and put a terminator on the opened end it worked great,getting all sorts of activity now.Thanks for the help.

Kevin

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Kev and all,

It's good to know you fixed the problem but just letting you know that raising the antenna did more than adding the terminator. No need to confuse you with details as long as it worked but you can go one step backward for a bit of improvement.

Eliminate the splitter altogether and you'll eliminate the 3dB loss you introduced with it. If it's feasable just stick a double F female on the end of the main cable and connect the lead you're using at the time and leave the unused one hang. Unless you stuffed it away where you can't get at it easily it's more or less the same as moving the terminator around only you'll get twice the signal because you're splitting it in half now.

"...F connector splitters is if you drop them, a lot of times they won't work worth a crap after that..."

Doug, how did you reach that conclusion? Unless you subject one to some fantastic shock it can't be damaged, the only breakable item inside is the ferrite core and to fracture it you have to hit it JUST right. Well, after countless e-mail conversations I've come to know you pretty well. OK Killer, pry the cover off and stuff it with foam if you're prone to such violence. (;->)

RISC777

Splitters

kb2vxa said:
Hi Kev and all,

"...F connector splitters is if you drop them, a lot of times they won't work worth a crap after that..."

Doug, how did you reach that conclusion? Unless you subject one to some fantastic shock it can't be damaged, the only breakable item inside is the ferrite core and to fracture it you have to hit it JUST right. Well, after countless e-mail conversations I've come to know you pretty well. OK Killer, pry the cover off and stuff it with foam if you're prone to such violence. (;->)

The conclusion was reached after dropping many of them from however high I was holding in my hand to the ground or any non-carpeted floor (3.5 to 4 feet?) or off of a ladder. I've had 2-ways to 4-ways and especially the 8-ways have one or more out ports be totally gone. If I hadn't experienced such I wouldn't have commented on it. And, yes, you have to drop a lot of them for a few to not work, but it's happened to me.

Not really violence. Sometimes being in a hurry, sometimes just being fumbled fingered, sometimes being pissed and throwing them. Like you say, if it doesn't work the first time use a larger hammer. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.