Littleton Fire Paging

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieKe

Does anyone know if Littleton Fire is permanently discontinuing voice paging on 154.34? I still hear tones but I haven't heard any voice on the analog channel in perhaps a week. Both tones and voice are still present on DTRS TG-1851 but I am surprised at the voice no longer present on the analog channel.

Charlie
Littleton/Centennial

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
If it has a sub tone ctcss could it be different when they talk than when they page or is it CSQ?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I think Weld County Fire has a VHF repeater that does something similar. North Metro's Broomfield dispatch side also does this on a UHF frequency, you hear the initial call information (voice and tones) but nothing afterwords. However, the AdCom side doesn't use it at all. Before switching to FRCC, I'm pretty sure North Metro simulcasted the main dispatch channel all the time like Littleton used to do.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Does anyone know if Littleton Fire is permanently discontinuing voice paging on 154.34?

I was hoping that someone with a more definitive answer would chime in, but there are not too many of them around.

Littleton kept VHF voice paging around for backup station alerting, but I do not think that their main system has run into too many failures. They may have changed their dispatching procedure so that they no longer simulcast every dispatch onto VHF until they need to. The other possibility is that they just retired the backup alerting system entirely.

Toneslider12

A suburban location near a metropolitan area
LFR still operates the back up VHF system and usually simulcasts 154.34 and TG 1851 via multi-select on the MCC7500 consoles. The LFR VHF tone is specifically Station 15's which was chosen years ago as the best sounding one for daily calls; the Cunningham VHF tone is Station 61. If tones are heard on VHF but no voice, that means Control is not multi-selected on both channels when they transmit. I don't know if that is intentional or not though since it can easily happen. Since none of the apparatus monitor VHF it would likely go unnoticed unless the back up was needed.

My understanding is that somewhat recently their second VHF repeater (Double Header Mountain) was taken out of service. They are only broadcasting from Station 14 now (Colorado & Arapahoe). Depending on the listeners distance from 14's, that could also be to blame for no voice.

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Eric for the info. Have to admit I never listen to the VHF side any longer.

Jim<

CharlieKe

Thanks to all. What I am hearing is completely consistent with what Toneslider12 reported. I happen to live less than a mile from Station 14 and for a long time I have kept a spare scanner in tone-out mode on the Littleton VHF tones, usually hearing the initial voice page after the tones. Recently I stopped hearing the voice, unless I switched and monitored DTRS TG-1851. Then a few days ago I began hearing voice after the tones, sometimes but not always. For example while typing this I did hear a voice page, but some pages are just not there anymore. So I still have the scanner in tone-out mode, but given what is happening I suppose I will give up on that before long. Darn!

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.