Littleton PD "Tac2" channel now encrypted.

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
Town of Littleton (Fire/police) recently put into service a fleet of APX radios (portable and mobiles) replacing their aging xts3000's/astro spectras from the post 9/11 grant radio orders in the early 2000s. Secondary LPD channel known as "tac2" has now gone fully encrypted. This is a non repeated channel not licensed to them from what I could research years ago that was used very seldom as a car to car type channel. Unsure if they will utilize this more now that its fully encrypted or not. Dispatch channel via Grafton SO still clear as I imagine will stay clear for the foreseeable future or until everybody can upgrade to the included ADP apx radios.

ecps92

Pre Y2K it was very common for towns to have a unique - Off the Books frequency
Part 90 actually allows it, for Low Power (under 2 watts ONLY) on a non interference basis for LE ONLY

Depending on who was doing the work, some used the FCC band plan, and others, well.. made up stuff
154.5700 the common (at that time BK, McD channel) was programmed and/or even +/- 5 kHz making it 154.5750 a non FCC allocation :)

Some of those continue today and in some areas, the input to the Repeater was used with a different tone for Simplex OPs too
you never know what can be found until we SEARCH

Town of Littleton (Fire/police) recently put into service a fleet of APX radios (portable and mobiles) replacing their aging xts3000's/astro spectras from the post 9/11 grant radio orders in the early 2000s. Secondary LPD channel known as "tac2" has now gone fully encrypted. This is a non repeated channel not licensed to them from what I could research years ago that was used very seldom as a car to car type channel. Unsure if they will utilize this more now that its fully encrypted or not. Dispatch channel via Grafton SO still clear as I imagine will stay clear for the foreseeable future or until everybody can upgrade to the included ADP apx radios.

Skyd

Hmm this is interesting - I'm not sure if I have the tac2 channel programmed or not. I'll have to take a look. Seems like more and more LE are going to encrypted. I thought out here in the "country" it would take a little longer to get there, but maybe it's starting.

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
How do you know it is adp? Running sdr?
I'm guessing its ADP as I can't see them purchasing anything more in the flashcode as they wanted to keep the warrant article as low as possible last year. I supposed they could be running a more secure encryption but my bet is its the adp that comes "free" with the APX line.

155.250 is the frequency in question. I am unsure if it's 2 watts or bumped up. Not licensed to them but makes sense if that was known to be common practice for LE years ago. I have been monitoring steady since 2006 and "tac2" has always been there off the air channel but easily searchable with a p25 scanner.. I don't know which outfit did the programming and ordering of these new radios. My guess would be Ossipee Mountain Electronics or 2way.biz out of Portsmouth NH area.

Metronorthradio

FREQ OF NATURE
TAC2 Communications. Owners name was Bill he used to work for the fire department and do various radio stuff with the police and the fire. The shop is up in the backside of the industrial park in Littleton the company does or did on repeaters around the area. Company has been sold to another gentleman a couple years back. I think if you do a Google search you might even be able to still find the webpage. I’ve monitored this channel long ago and heard a little chitchat on it.

ecps92

Yup, been their TAC for many years :)

I'm guessing its ADP as I can't see them purchasing anything more in the flashcode as they wanted to keep the warrant article as low as possible last year. I supposed they could be running a more secure encryption but my bet is its the adp that comes "free" with the APX line.

155.250 is the frequency in question. I am unsure if it's 2 watts or bumped up. Not licensed to them but makes sense if that was known to be common practice for LE years ago. I have been monitoring steady since 2006 and "tac2" has always been there off the air channel but easily searchable with a p25 scanner.. I don't know which outfit did the programming and ordering of these new radios. My guess would be Ossipee Mountain Electronics or 2way.biz out of Portsmouth NH area.

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
TAC2 Communications. Owners name was Bill he used to work for the fire department and do various radio stuff with the police and the fire. The shop is up in the backside of the industrial park in Littleton the company does or did on repeaters around the area. Company has been sold to another gentleman a couple years back. I think if you do a Google search you might even be able to still find the webpage. I’ve monitored this channel long ago and heard a little chitchat on it.
Bill was a great guy. Tac2 has since moved to whitefield/Dalton NH. Speaking with Bill a few years ago he was no longer dealing with Motorola Solutions as they had too many hoops to jump through for the public safety line of things. He was still selling and servicing Motorola Minitors. I believe Nick, the new owner, sells strictly Kenwood radios now.

RobertI

Premium Subscriber
What about their dispatch 155.850

It's possible I miss it, but it's been, pardon the pun, radio silence. I'm in the "area" frequently.

I understand tac2 encryption for all the super double squirrel secret raids on the meth labs and international prostitution rings 🙄

RobertI

Premium Subscriber
Speak of the devil, just heard the static and squawk. Taxpayers spent the money for APXs, but not going P25

Metronorthradio

FREQ OF NATURE
Good evening, just off the top of my head. I do remember if I may be needing correction , but Littleton fired department had a vehicle repeater in one of their firetrucks. I can’t remember the frequency but I remember the tone 141.3

Asmitty0010

Feed Provider
Good evening, just off the top of my head. I do remember if I may be needing correction , but Littleton fired department had a vehicle repeater in one of their firetrucks. I can’t remember the frequency but I remember the tone 141.3I
I know at one time they had an in vehicle repeater channel programmed into their portables but I am unsure if thats still operational. I do know they use the radio over cell network tango tango regularly which essentially turns any cellular device into a radio.

ecps92

I know at one time they had an in vehicle repeater channel programmed into their portables but I am unsure if thats still operational. I do know they use the radio over cell network tango tango regularly which essentially turns any cellular device into a radio.
Still plenty of agencies running an MO3 (FCC) or even unlicensed in the 453/458 and 460/465 bands
over the years some of the Remote links were misinterpreted to be MO3 when they were FX1/FX2 - up/down links from the remote sites (ie: Twin State, Lakes Region etc)

ecps92

Its was for Fire and was vhf w/ MOI3 I believe. It rebroadcasted twin Disp. (154.400) I would say it was for foreground and to talk thru the truck to get to dispatch.
might that be the 151.4600 that was licensed as an FX1 (remote downlink) vs an MO3 (On board repeater) or the mobile only 151.4300