Live feed not always active

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure Lindsay wouldn't. :-(

Please go back and read my post above again. The scanner I use for my RR live stream is not very accessible. I need a ladder to change the programming each time.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
I'm sure Lindsay wouldn't. :-(

Please go back and read my post above again. The scanner I use for my RR live stream is not very accessible. I need a ladder to change the programming each time.

Well maybe Lindsay would allow an exception to this, but just in general im sure he would not want all these "standby" feeds.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
As much as I'd like this option... I'm sure it would be a pain in the butt for Lindsay and RR. No way will it ever happen.

I have in the past just sent a second or third stream to Shoutcast. One click... and it's active. Even if you haven't used it for months.

The last time was for a local air show. The Blue Angels were in town and I streamed the BA comms plus the other air associated frequencies for 2 days. I've done the same for hurricanes that have come through Fort Myers and a few emergencies in the gulf using Coast Guard boats and aircraft. Also twice for AF1 and President Obama visits. Lots of listeners... but none from RR.

richtidd

Database Admin
I have to jump in here. I agree with where you are going with this and I want to elaborate. I'd like to see a special feed "type" for on demand feeds, such as "On Demand" or "Interop" or something similar.

I realize your feed could fit into many 'types' such as "amateur radio" "public safety" "special event" or "disaster event" but if there was a type dedicated to feeds that were not broadcasting all the time, I suppose the RR software web could designed to be smart enough to only categorize and show the feed in a select list when its online. (Yes this may take some programming, but it would be slick.)

For example, right now when my stream is offline it still shows up in the county select list with a big red box that says OFFLINE. It would be really cool if any of these interop and skywarn feeds could be kept in a feed providers list of feeds, but hidden from telling the world of its offline status.

If there was a special category for this (that had to be requested seperately and reviewed for approval by the live audio admins) then the awesome RR web developers could write code to interact with only those 'types' of feeds to hide the offline status from the general live audio users.

I plan to feed several interop feeds for my hometown and this would be great feature to have.

Some people might ask, why not just keep the feed broadcasting the time even if there is no traffic on the channel. The answer to that would be the same reason many public safety agencies don't keep all 'patches' up all the time - it takes up valuable resources. In this case, I can use my $500 digital radio elsewhere when there isn't an emergency going on and people browsing RR.com dont have to be disappointed that another feed is offline ;-)

For public saftey, these patches are established in advance because they know there will be a need, but they are only activated on demand. Same thing here, we would be asking RR to give us a feed mount point that is permenant (and won't be deleted for being "offline" too much) but these special feeds would have some automated or semi-automated way or ability to hide the feed info and offline message a casual user sees when the feed is offline.

Hey, Richard Tidd - can this be done? I have three interop feeds in request mode now.

THANKS in advance,

Sorry but at this time, this is not possible.

However, on the admin page for the feeds, we can & do mark Skywarn & other simuler type feeds that are not always active as "Tactical Feed".

This sets the feed so it shows "Not Active" (Gray) in the listings & keeps the feed from being auto deleted for non use. They also do not get feed down e-mails.

These feeds show Active (green) what the feed provider activates the feed by sending audio & revert to Not Active when the feed owner stops sending audio.

We can set any feed as a Tactical Feed. Feed owners just need to submit a Request Assistance With feed" request and we will review and consider the request.

sfd119

How about this: If someone puts in for an Interop/Emergency feed, they DO NOT get a premium account?

Tweekerbob

How about this -- someone who provides a feed for 48 hours a year gets the same benefit as someone who provides a feed for 8,760 hours a year? Seem fair?

EMTLJB

Any feed provider gets access to a premium subscription as long as their feed is online at the time they want to access premium features. As soon as the feed goes offline, the membership reverts to its non-feed provider status.

K4IHS

Premium Subscriber
That would work for me. I already have a 24/7 feed online... plus I pay the subsription fee too. I'll think about applying for a "Tactical Feed". Would I apply the same way as I did for the feed I have online now?

sfd119

Any feed provider gets access to a premium subscription as long as their feed is online at the time they want to access premium features. As soon as the feed goes offline, the membership reverts to its non-feed provider status.

I know that, however, if after a certain amount of days the feed gets deleted. In sparse counties, this might not be the best solution.

Also, I don't know how the RR backend works, however, if Lindsay could allot 500 spaces on a different server that when the feed comes online, it randomly gets one. When it's offfline, someone else could get that spot, etc. Since these are not going to be full time, 24/7 feeds, this could be a solution for the whole server hosting issue.

sfd119

sfd119, isn't what rich posted exactly what your describing more or less?

I'm sorry, I didn't see that. I was on my phone and got my email notification K4IHS's post, and by the time I replied I must have missed Rich's post. That's exactly what I am going to do then.

c5corvette

Premium Subscriber
However, on the admin page for the feeds, we can & do mark Skywarn & other simuler type feeds that are not always active as "Tactical Feed".

This sets the feed so it shows "Not Active" (Gray) in the listings & keeps the feed from being auto deleted for non use. They also do not get feed down e-mails.

These feeds show Active (green) what the feed provider activates the feed by sending audio & revert to Not Active when the feed owner stops sending audio.

We can set any feed as a Tactical Feed. Feed owners just need to submit a Request Assistance With feed" request and we will review and consider the request.

Actually, Richard - thats pretty darn close to exactly what I was describing. I will be taking advantage of this. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.