Live Feed - Site Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steveradio

Hello;

I have just found this live feed link
http://www.liveatc.net/feedindex.php

I'm sure this topic may have been covered before since don't always check this thread out all the time.

Do they have a delay on transmissions or is it a "LIVE" feed? Its been hard to tell how they have system set - up. Times I am picking up real time traffic on scanner but something different on the feed?

I normally listen to KABE Lehigh Valley International
Thanks
Steve

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Unless the laws of physics change ;) then anything distributed on the Internet is not live.

Takes time to convert audio to digital, takes time to send to you, and takes time for your side to convert it back. Most players add a ~30second buffer to avoid any packet dropouts (similar to your CD player reading ahead.)

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Unless the laws of physics change ;) then anything distributed on the Internet is not live.

Takes time to convert audio to digital, takes time to send to you, and takes time for your side to convert it back. Most players add a ~30second buffer to avoid any packet dropouts (similar to your CD player reading ahead.)

Same could be said for "Live television". There's still a lag time. I think what the poster is asking is if there is an intentional, additional delay built in, sort of like a live delay so people have time to bleep out the F word or something. The answer is no. It's encoded and broadcast as it is received with no additional delays other than those rdale mentioned.

-AZ

Steveradio

Ok, I realized that but didn't think anybody did buffing for scanner feeds. Was never much of a live feed monitor and just started with a few departments that I can't pick up.

I know my local media station has about a 5 second delay with every news broadcast. didn't realize they do it on - line.

Thanks
Steve

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
The feeds don't buffer - your end buffers. You can turn that off in the media player, but that'd create a lot of dropouts when you listen in...

Status
Not open for further replies.