Live in Polk county Florida and wanted to update my GRE psr800 digital ez scan. How do I obtain new data on system ?

Been a while since I have used the scanner and I understand lots of things have changed on the trunked P25 systems since 2013.
Any help would be much appreciated Thanks KN3ABC

fredva

Feed Provider
Assuming your scanner is in fact still a PSR-800 and hasn't been upgraded to a WS-1080, you may want to look into the upgrade: Upgrade Your Pro-18, Pro-668 or PSR-800 Scanner. The upgrade would provide you with current software that can download radio systems from the RadioReference database. I'll let somebody else comment regarding Polk County specifically.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
You need to look and see what Polk county and other systems you want to monitor are using today, if any agency is p25 simulcast or any angency is encrypted or not.

You can find all that info in the radio reference database

If any agency is encrypted, no radio will be able to decode it, if any are simulcast you may want to put your money towards a Uniden sds scanner as the GRE/whistler scanners do not do well with simulcast for most people.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I live in Polk county and I tried the psr800 it doesn’t do well with the system. Depends on where you sit the radio.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I live in Polk county and I tried the psr800 it doesn’t do well with the system. Depends on where you sit the radio.
Did your radio get the legacy upgrade to make it a WS1080? if not it is not a good comparison as the ws1080 received dozens of firmware fixes GRE never got.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Did your radio get the legacy upgrade to make it a WS1080? if not it is not a good comparison as the ws1080 received dozens of firmware fixes GRE never got.
I did have sent in when they did the dmr upgrade. From 2018 til last week it sat in the box cause simulcast issues from a area I use to live at. Polk cnty is a hit miss it’s also a simulacast system phase l.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I did have sent in when they did the dmr upgrade. From 2018 til last week it sat in the box cause simulcast issues from a area I use to live at. Polk cnty is a hit miss it’s also a simulacast system phase l.
Invest in a Uniden SDS and whatever keys you need to monitor what you're interested in...no key needed for P25 but you do need them for DMR. NXDN and Provoice, each key about $75 above the cost of the scanner.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Invest in a Uniden SDS and whatever keys you need to monitor what you're interested in...no key needed for P25 but you do need them for DMR. NXDN and Provoice, each key about $75 above the cost of the scanner.
I have the 100/200. I got all keys also. I was hoping the par800 would work good for the system. Was planning to use it for new tg that pops up.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
I have the 100/200. I got all keys also. I was hoping the par800 would work good for the system. Was planning to use it for new tg that pops up.
All you can do is try ...with that scanner any simulcast reception is YMMV as it may not work, it may work one hour and not the next or it may work all the time, ...look up all the ws1080 simulcast tweaks and do the work of trying them all to find out.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Polk suffers from severe simulcast distortion. Noted few times when i was down there on vacation. The SDS scanners and unication g5 handles it fine. The older stuff not so well.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Polk suffers from severe simulcast distortion. Noted few times when i was down there on vacation. The SDS scanners and unication g5 handles it fine. The older stuff not so well.
Dsdplus is okay for Polk county system. I run it on/off to get rid and Lakeland haven’t tried it since Signal is weak in some spots in my place. I can’t have no antenna outside due to a complex and I have 2 buildings blocking north from my window