Live Oak new CC and Second CC

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
Live Oak has a new control channel on there system 851.825 and a second control channel that Universal City would use to fill in dead spot areas which was a SCAT control channel is back up on 853.9125 and is very strong and transmitting as site 20. I use to only pick up there scat channel when i was on pat booker in there city, now it is loud and clear close to rolling oaks mall. Don't know what is going on with this CC

Michael-SATX

Don your right, both CC's are nailing a 99% in the north central 281 & 1604 area using an RS 800 antenna.
Yeah, I noticed that the Live Oak TRS went from using LCN1 (851.3250) to LCN2 (851.8250) as their CC.
As for 853.9125 ( was LCN10 long ago, then became a SCAT site ) do you think it's now a 2nd site or a SCAT ?

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
Can anybody with Unitrunker run a computer check on the 853.9125 CC and see if it is the old SCAT channel just at a higher power now or a seperat one.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
Another note now that the control channels are stronger now it might be they increased the output because live oak dispatchers moved so far from the city. Also all the areas with poor coverage or dead spots are still there in Selma and UC area as well as the other towns

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Since the sites themselves didn't change location it doesn't make since that they "increased the output because live oak dispatchers moved." They're still transmitting from the same location technically (the physical antenna site itself).

I'm not saying they didn't increase the output power at all (because it seems to me they have), but this probably isn't the reason why.

In some cases increasing the output power can mitigate dead spaces for listening to the site, but it never resolves the officer issue of not being heard by the trunked site itself (since, presumably they're radios are at full power already- the 5W HTs and probably 50W mobiles).

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
Yeah there car radios even in the poor coverage get out pretty clear, In UC down by Randolph area it still is pretty bad on a handheld which why they put the scat system in that area awhile back. I have done a ride along in Selma and UC and UC officers have to call dispatch on the city cell phone in certain areas to talk to them when they are away from the car so I don't know how much the scat system really helped

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I don't spend much time in UC, Converse or Live Oak (other than cruising through on 35), but I've always hated the reception on this system. It seems like Schertz is worst (which I understand the original system wasn't meant to handle the northern reaches of Schertz), but it seems like every user on this system has reception issues somewhere in their jurisdiction (except for Selma and LO it seems).

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
I live out in Selma now and there are a couple poor reception areas around evans and lookout area but not to bad, Live Oak even has some spots around there PD area and off Topperwein where the Topperwein site is located for the City and County system it comes in really poor on a handheld scanner or lpe. And Schertz has really strong areas and a few areas where it drops the signal all togeather off 3009 and some areas off 78 another reason why they kept the vhf patch up other than for the Cibolo units.

Michael-SATX

Possible Explantion of now active 853.9125

OK, Possible Explantion of now active again 853.9125
this was the old Live Oaks TRS LCN #10 and then
later was converted over to an EDACS SCAT site for UC
then it was reported silient until recently, etc.

Now analyzing 853.9125 reports C-10 Site # 20
I will run Unitrunker to check activity on this new CC.
I say this is a new San Antonio EDACS Pro-Voice site.
Maybe an interoperability site, think about it and lQQk below:

Blue Simulcast = Site #21
Gold Simulcast = Site #22
Gagnon Tower = Site #13
Grey Forest Tw = Site #14
Hill Country Tw = Site #15
American Tower = Site #16
Topperwein Twr = Site #17
Hallmark Rd Tw = Site#18

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
Could be, the main LO site comes across as site 11 and was going ot be part of the SA/BC system in the very early stages of the system years ago but nothing ever came of it. Could have been because the Topperwein tower is almost right next to the Live Oak tower so would not make to much sense. They were testing radios again this time on TG 353 so have no Idea what is going on.

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
I was listening to the LCRA P25 system earlier and heard two radio techs talking on tgrp 3. One mentioned to the other that "if you're done you might go over to Live Oak to help them unload." Then he mentioned "or you can go over to Universal City." So LCRA is helping Live Oak with some installation, not sure of what.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
Never thought it was LCRA guys doing all the radio testing on the new talkgroups that have popped up. Maybe there programming interop talkgroups? Would like to see what unitrunker shows on that control channel that is transmitting as site 20 on the LO system

Michael-SATX

OK lQQking at this Live Oak TRS now with Unitrunker I now see some changes
this afternoon that are different than I saw last night when I was analyzing CC's.
I noticed on the Live Oak TRS that the old LCN-10 was broadcasting as site # 20
and today I now notice that the Live Oak LCN-6 is broadcasting as Site # 20 instead.
Unitrunker seems to show me that this system was split into 2 EDACS sites today.
I am loading up my gear and heading over to these to sites to solve all these changes.
I will report back later after dinner time with the 2 sites and their new order of freqs.

NC5267

Premium Subscriber
As far programming I have my radio programmed the same way it is in the database and have not missed any traffice on any channels

jbsarandolphmonitor

Air band monitoring JBSA-Randolph
Looking at the system. It looks like ch 1 to 5 is part of the old system. Ch 6 8 9 and 10 are part of another site. Ch 7 is a scat system.

Donald Harkins

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael-SATX

Live Oak TRS observations tonight.

The Live Oak TRS is operating as normal on LCN's 1,2,3,4,5 , hearing all depts in all 5 cities.

LCN#1=851.3250
LCN#2=851.8250 (now CC#2 Site # 11)
LCN#3=852.5875
LCN#4=852.8875
LCN#5=853.1125
---------------------------------------------------
LCN#6=853.3375 (was CC#6 Site # 20 Tuesday AM)
LCN#7=853.5625 ( now CC#7 Site # 20 Tuesday PM)
LCN#8=853.6750
LCN#9=853.7875
-------------------------------------------------
LCN#10=853.9125 (now CC#01 Site # 12 ~ SCAT Site back up now )

Leaving Unitrunker running overnight to lQQk for TG's and activity. All Very interesting.
Let's observe and see what becomes of this new Site # 20 using LCN's 6,7,8,9

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Muy interesante.

In my opinion, and from what I've gathered through years of listening to LCRA, these radio techs are some of the best.

First off, they have one of the largest EDACS systems in the state (so it makes since that they might be contracted to LO or even San Antonio to help them). They've got one of the larger P25 networks in the state right now, and have experience linking them to legacy EDACS systems. They're starting an OpenSky system. These 3 statements make them some hard working (and knowledgeable) techs.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see some extended connectivity on Live Oak's system in the next few weeks. Radio testing is a good sign that things are changing.

Don, are you seeing any new LIDs or patched tgrps (like the 20XXs)? If we see patches it would help if we knew where they were going, and it would be nice to know where the new LIDs are coming from if some are appearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.