Live PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolrich55

If you've seen the show on A&E you know that Bridgeport is one of the agencies they follow around "live". I'm willing to bet the ONLY reason Bridgeport volunteered to be on the show was to be transparent and improve community relations. Maybe they're being paid also. So we can watch and hear them going on calls but they don't want us listening in on our scanners. I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

georged4997

Premium Subscriber
I disagree, Iworked there for 25 yrs on the fire dept. The cops never stopped. At one time it was named the murder capital of the state. When you live or work there, you find out fast what its about. And a
lot of the projects have been torn down. F.P.V and Pequonnock Apts.

MFCJR

Nothing is really live. Just like Football and Baseball and all other sports, It's all on a delay so they can still edit what they don't want you to see or hear.

MrAntiDigital

I was very fortunate to have been able to follow and chase the Bridgeport police around for years. There wasn't any need for a television show using edited versions or otherwise. That was when all you needed was a high band scanner, a car and a little extra gas money.

It was there live as it happened, just the way it was. Listening to the Bridgeport Police then was non-stop on 154.725 mhz. You were able to see all for yourself, day after day if you wanted. It was unbelievable all the activity that was going on. Directly right in front of you in those streets. The criminals owned the streets and the cops were just happy to see a few guys with scanners on their side. Those cops were all alone out there in a battle zone right here in Connecticut.

I of course also saw site member "georged4997" (above Post # 3) at many of the fires they had too. It has sometimes been referred to as the Bridgeport FD War Years.

There was a small group of guys that sometimes even got together in those streets. All of us carrying portable scanners. We were on the side of "The Good Guys" and those cops knew it.

As I see it, a TV Show really just doesn't cut it in comparing to how it once was in Bridgeport. Of course today, with more and more places planning to take that privilege away from us, the reality is that there will be no other choice BUT to depend on TV Shows like this. Not exactly what "I" would like to see, BUT, I know others would strongly disagree.

coolrich55

I'm not sure how long the delay is but there definitely is one. They do bleep out some curse words but not all. One of the biggest differences between this show and the show "cops" is in this show a lot of people are playing to the cameras. Either screaming to get the camera out of their faces, throwing what I'm assuming are gang signs, and of course the f the police brutality stuff. On cops, I would imagine that happens also but they must edit all of it out.

MFCJR

A&E is a cable network so they could away with the strong language that the regular networks can't.

MrAntiDigital

Here is an interesting video which apparently was filmed directly from a television while one of the series on the Bridgeport Police was playing. During the program this civilian is telling her side of the story of how WRONG the cops are.

This is the kind of reaction I would expect. Instead of blaming the "perp" for creating this problem, she seems to be blaming the cops for what happened. This is a perfect example of our society today. The cops were only doing their job, yet they seem to be in the wrong in her eyes.

The quality is not very good but I think you'll understand. Listen closely to this lady who is watching this on her TV. She seems to have all the answers. Just typical of society today. Her or no one else heard any broadcast over any police scanner. Those days are over. So no matter what some people see on this show, they will be able to turn it around and put the blame on the cops.

My bet is once she talked to a few others about what she saw on this show they will all take her side rather than the side of the cops.

This guy is caught with a little weed, PLUS $2,000 in cash and four cell phones. How many of us carry that around with us on a regular basis. She failed to mention that he JUST MIGHT BE involved in a little illegal activity as well.

I couldn't do that job dealing with todays society no matter what they paid me. These cops have my respect for the job they do.

Here's the video with her comments. what do you think ?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmqi7luXOUQ

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
One of the reasons that Bpt. was asked to participate as I understand it, was mainly because the show's producer lives here locally in Norwalk and is familiar with the Park City's crime issues. Why Bpt. and not Harttford or Waterbury etc? Who knows. But so far, the show has had one problem child in Bpt. Sgt. Stacey Lyons shown in a few episodes, was arrested by Trumbull PD.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.ctpo...r-arrested-for-domestic-violence-10425506.php
From a lot of online comments I've read, I don't think the show will last too long. Too bad we can't hear Bpt. PD anymore. We have to rely on the watered down version that the regular news media gives us or the reports from the doing it local guy Steve who rents a portable radio from Bpt. PD. In one of the scenes of the show, a guy managed to get the jump on a Bpt. Cop inside his own cruiser, wrestle the gun from the cop, put the vehicle in drive and crash against a fence wrecking the car. I NEVER saw THAT go on ch 3,8, 30 or Fox 61. At least we can still monitor the FD side of things as well as AMR and southwest CMED to get some idea of what's happening in the Park City.

Manny

Last edited:

MrAntiDigital

One of the reasons that Bpt. was asked to participate as I understand it, was mainly because the show's producer lives here locally in Norwalk and is familiar with the Park City's crime issues. Why Bpt. and not Harttford or Waterbury etc? Who knows. But so far, the show has had one problem child in Bpt. Sgt. Stacy Lyons shown in a few episodes, was arrested by Trumbull PD.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.ctpo...r-arrested-for-domestic-violence-10425506.php
From a lot of online comments I've vread, I don't think the show well last too long. Too bad we can't hear Bpt. PD anymore. We have to rely on the watered down version that the regular news media gives us or the reports from the doing it local guy Steve who rents a portable radio from Bpt. PD. In one of the scenes of the show, a guy managed to get the jump on a Bpt. Cop inside his own cruiser, wrestle the gun from the cop, put the vehicle in drive and crash against a fence wrecking the car. I NEVER saw THAT go on 3,8, 30 or 61. At least we can still monitor the FD side of things as well as AMR and southwest CMED to get some idea of what's happening in the Park City.

Manny

Thank you "N1SQB", I strongly agree with you.

You also mention about "Doing it Local" by a guy named Steve. I don't know Steve but this news program that he runs is GREAT. I'm on the other side of the state and his program allows me to keep up with what's going on down there. He provides coverage based on exactly what went on. "Hat's off to you Steve, thank you for what you do".

Yes, "N1SQB", the days of "THE GOOD GUYS" being out there watching for places like Bridgeport's most wanted individuals are over. I just read on another thread here how one site member was able to alert the PD when he saw a wanted perp, walking across the Q Bridge in New Haven. For many places, that option is no longer available.

Besides being a great hobby, the Good Guys have lost so many extra pairs of eyes by going to this encryption thing. And don't let some people convince you that this allows the PDs to catch the Bad Guys because they can NOT hear what's going on. No folks, these criminals have already thought that out and now use a system of signaling or alerting each other when the PD is in the area. Giving them just enough time to get away. The only people ENCRYPTION has fooled is "The Good People".

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Doing it Local is pretty much on top of things. I have no problem with Steve and actually enjoy a lot of the things he posts. Mainstream established media however, is another thing. Like I said before, at least we can monitor emergency services in and around the city so we can have some idea of what's going on.

Manny

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
I agree that steve does a great job in reporting what goes on in bridgeport, i follow him on twitter and he tells it like it is , great job , i wish Bport would un enctrypt but i wont hold my breath waiting .

lensam

I disagree, Iworked there for 25 yrs on the fire dept. The cops never stopped. At one time it was named the murder capital of the state. When you live or work there, you find out fast what its about. And a
lot of the projects have been torn down. F.P.V and Pequonnock Apts.

Remember the T-Shirts - "Bang, You're in Bridgeport?"

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
That sucks i remeber there was another show many years ago that featured a boston mass firehouse and followe them on calls and that did not last to long either, that was a great show

coolrich55

What a joke of a reason. So just hide the fact that the city you're a mayor of is a violent one. Everyone who's ever lived in CT knows Bridgeport has a bad reputation. Makes you wonder if the Mayor wanted the radios encrypted for the same reason. Of course they'll cite officer safety but if you don't want the general public to know what crimes are being committed in your city then don't allow the public to listen in on what's going on. I predicted that the show wouldn't last there for long. Yes there may have been a delay, but encrypting police radios and then welcoming in a live tv crew is a bit of hypocrisy.

coolrich55

That sucks i remeber there was another show many years ago that featured a boston mass firehouse and followe them on calls and that did not last to long either, that was a great show
None of those type of shows last long and there have been many over the years. "Cops" is the exception. When I was a kid there was a show called on scene emergency response. That was back in the 90's and was a pretty awesome show. Boston's finest was a good show but as far as I can tell that has been canceled. Nightwatch is a show that is on currently also on A&E. It's pretty good, they follow fire ems and police in New Orleans.

eclipse175

How does encrypting radio traffic hide crime statistics? All recorded radio transmissions can be received under FOIA request. Case reports and crime stats are still kept and subject to public disclosure?

Intent isn't to start the encryption debate here. Just didn't seem to make much sense.

My assumption is public complaint about privacy and/or overall image of Bridgeport. It quickly became known that Bridgeport was the most exciting dept followed on the show.

MrAntiDigital

Just my thoughts here.....

BEFORE the days of encryption, I would see this action LIVE as it happened. I had 154.725 MHz in my scanner and the action was NON STOP. Sometimes PRIORITY CALLS were backed up an hour with nobody able to respond.

From stabbings, shootings, fights, foot chases, car accidents, in those 17 or 18 square miles it was so easy to get around. Those Bridgeport cops knew we were on their side.

Put a little gas in the tank, maybe a few burgers and coffees, and the LIVE SHOW would begin. Throw in a couple of fires with it and it would often become an entire night of action.

Those of us who were able to do that still talk about how great those days were. We just took it for granted and thought it would never end. "We sure were wrong on that one".

Now we can't listen and we can't even watch it on TV after being filmed weeks earlier. But I guess having a cell phone rather than trying to call from a "vandalized" pay phone on the street corner DOES make some things a little easier for most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.