• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Live Streaming CB rcv only

Status
Not open for further replies.

swen_out_west

I am not sure about opening a legal discussion on CB but here goes.

I pretty much have interpreted the existing rules on CB/FRS/GMRS regarding the linking of those services via telephone. I interpret this as being internet too, even if it doesn't specifically say internet, but I am sure judges would consider linking by internet the same as phone, since the regulations were written pre internet, but the intent would remain the same.

Anyways, enough about that. A previous thread regarding GMRS got closed when talking about this subject so let's stay on track and respectful.

Here's my idea and feel free to assist. The current rules actually allow linking via phone if you have an operator on the transmit side monitoring the conversation, but every place mentions transmitter.

What about rcv only. I see that there are one or two cb channels under other on Broadcastify. I can't see there being any problem with this.

The town 12 miles away has an active cb club on a local channel and I was thinking about setting a live feed up.

Here's my biggest question, I would like to do this mainly since when talking to town 12 miles away I get extreme static from the Power Substation and high lines. My transmit is fine but the receive sucks. It's only in that direction I get it because of my close proximity to this substation and the high lines going in and out. I have tried everything and the only way to minimize it is by dropping my RF gain which kills my ability to hear the mobiles in town. I have another RFI filter coming and if this doesn't work I give up.

So what would be wrong with using this rcv only (scanner) set up in town 12 miles away, being streamed into either BroadCastify or even a teleconferencing VOIP. while I am talking to town. (Yes, I know I would have to have my volume on my transmitter all the way down) Besides, I would just be monitoring it to make sure it's working. The fact that I am talking on the same channel 12 miles away would be completely separate.from my "scanner live stream". There's going to be some delay time I am sure but I can work around that. This might be a gray area that I am exploiting but that's why I made this thread.

It's not a transmitter, there doesn't seem to be any restriction on placing a cb channel rcv only (scanner) on Broadcastify, and it's well with in the range limit. I actually hear the conversations already. Just looking for a way to clean up the received signal once in a while.

Either way I think it would be a cool thing for just the cb club and there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with putting a scanner (rcv only) of a cb channel up.

Last edited:

n5ims

There are two issues here. One is would it be legal (as in not against the FCC rules) for you to set up a feed that broadcasts the audio from a CB channel. That one is pretty simple since you're doing no transmissions that are regulated by the FCC (you did say receive only), that would be simple to answer, you would in no way violate any FCC rules by doing so. The reasoning here is that CB transmissions are considered "public" so there should be no expectation for privacy, therefor there should be no issues with broadcasting the transmissions over the internet.

The second issue is would setting up a feed on Broadcastify.com to broadcast a CB channel be allowed. That also is simple to answer by looking at the posted "Feed Provider Terms of Service" (Feed Provider Terms of Service - The RadioReference Wiki). That answer is no, it is not allowed.

Feed providers agree to not broadcast citizens Band (CB) communications
Feed providers agree to not broadcast GMRS, FRS or MURS (either simplex or repeaters)

swen_out_west

There are two issues here. One is would it be legal (as in not against the FCC rules) for you to set up a feed that broadcasts the audio from a CB channel. That one is pretty simple since you're doing no transmissions that are regulated by the FCC (you did say receive only), that would be simple to answer, you would in no way violate any FCC rules by doing so. The reasoning here is that CB transmissions are considered "public" so there should be no expectation for privacy, therefor there should be no issues with broadcasting the transmissions over the internet.

The second issue is would setting up a feed on Broadcastify.com to broadcast a CB channel be allowed. That also is simple to answer by looking at the posted "Feed Provider Terms of Service" (Feed Provider Terms of Service - The RadioReference Wiki). That answer is no, it is not allowed.

Okay so not on Broadcastify, (there are others out there w/o that restriction) even if there are some already on there under the other category, but I wasn't planning on using Broadcastify anyways, I was just using that as the prime example. I was actually going to go with a conference call VOIP anyways, since some people might shy away knowing that anyone in the world could hear.

By using a conference call it could serve 2 purposes. A local "phone" chat line with cb rcv only audio streamed in the background. I could basically set this up as a local group chat line with rcv only audio from the local cb channel and the local GMRS repeater. If anybody hears something on the channels they want to respond to, hopefully there's somebody on the conference call that can reply via radio.

Last edited:

wyShack

Premium Subscriber
Actually there are quite a few 'internet' radios on the Web. Using the internet to 'remote' a radio is done on a routine basis by amateur (Ham) radio operators all the time. A bit of Googleing will likely find all kinds of different ways to do this. Broadcastify and other 'services' basically allow multiple listeners to the feeds hosted by them.

Also most of the restrictions on connection to the 'Public Switched Telephone Network (or PSTN) was not to prevent linking over lease lines but to prevent avoiding toll charges on phone calls-using a radio 'autopatch' to avoid a toll charge. With long distance now being free and cell phones everywhere, this is not much of an issue but the 'rules' are still there.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
May also want to poke at remotehams.com.. most of the radios there can tune 11..

Status
Not open for further replies.