PSRN General Discussion

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Cool if I make a wiki page attached to the new system? Would be nice to keep info, talkgroups, etc somewhere that don't get totally lost in forum threads. Might be a fun way for me to learn the wiki features better too. If that's allowed.

Muxlow

Super Secret
I've been monitoring this system for a few weeks now. Windsor Essex Chatham-Kent is the testing grounds. All 3 sites are up and active. OPP and EMS are currently getting their new radios installed starting this week and to be finishing the counties up by the end of the year and switched over by January.

Was also talk of adding a new site to Leamington and possibly Pelee Island to fill in coverage issues for primary EMS.
And as we all know I'm sure we won't be able to monitor anyone once they switch. Not sure if the old system will be patched to the new or not but this is indeed the "new FleetNet"

Been monitoring all 3 sites and no activity on Chatham or Essex towers as of yet. All only off the Windsor site for now until radios are in and the switch is made.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
The system that is incoming and is projected to leave the OPP fully encrypted and not monitor-able. If your goal is to listen to police, right now may not be your best time to invest in this unless you pick up a used scanner for a good price and know that within a relatively short span of time, the OPP likely won't be an option to listen to.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
Looks like the beginning of the end unfortunately. I wonder how all the tows will get information? Maybe there will be a media channel or tow channel?

Muxlow

Super Secret
Looks like the beginning of the end unfortunately. I wonder how all the tows will get information? Maybe there will be a media channel or tow channel?

I was wondering that too. Might just phase that out also. Might cut down on the tow truck wars
Or have a call out agency each company subscribes to and OPP calls them. They Page Out the next company in the rotation. Or each day a different company is the contract tow for the day. Who knows?
Would be in the OPP's best interest to keep them communications open. Even make a specific talkgroup that's not encrypted just for tow companies to monitor. Dispatcher sends the call out. Flips over to that group and gives the call or patches the group's together for a few minutes until first officer is on scene and gives and update.

Seems to be more of a GTA thing. We don't use anything like that down in the Oxford-Essex County region.

mciupa

Database Admin
Cool if I make a wiki page attached to the new system? Would be nice to keep info, talkgroups, etc somewhere that don't get totally lost in forum threads. Might be a fun way for me to learn the wiki features better too. If that's allowed.

I've started the wiki page by categorizing it in Ontario Trunking systems. I added the two known talkgroups.

All users are allowed and encouraged to add to or edit the wiki page. If you go to that page you can click on edit and see the underlying formatting and follow the same way.

System has been renamed to it's official title: Land Mobile Radio Network (LMRN) Zone 1 Trunking System, Multiple Locations, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
It has been reported over the last few years that the whole system would be encrypted, but I don't think anyone truly knows at this point (other than the people that should). I've not seen any public documents to support that it will be, but I'm fully expecting it to be. Anything that isn't will be a pleasant surprise.

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering that too. Might just phase that out also. Might cut down on the tow truck wars
Or have a call out agency each company subscribes to and OPP calls them. They Page Out the next company in the rotation. Or each day a different company is the contract tow for the day. Who knows?
Would be in the OPP's best interest to keep them communications open. Even make a specific talkgroup that's not encrypted just for tow companies to monitor. Dispatcher sends the call out. Flips over to that group and gives the call or patches the group's together for a few minutes until first officer is on scene and gives and update.

Seems to be more of a GTA thing. We don't use anything like that down in the Oxford-Essex County region.

I agree! It would certainly be in their best interest to keep communications in the clear. Even the OPP has said they have a great working relationship with the media and the tows. I get the feeling that it is due to the comms being in the clear for many years.

Muxlow

Super Secret
Same with Kitchener. Police said it's been a huge asset to have the public monitoring their system. They would find wanted people, suspicious vehicles and all sorts of stuff a lot faster. Now they are enc the officer I spoke with said they will loose a lot of eyes to help them out.

firefgtr

Premium Subscriber
There are a ton of us that are dying to know what is going to be ENC or not (if any). I have also heard the OPP discussing the possibility of providing LARGE media outlets (ie: CTV) with a loaner radio so they can listen to certain things and report news and traffic that way.

I see this as being an expensive and hugely troublesome in general. I was hoping MOH EMS would keep some or all regular and maybe ENC tac channels for hospital patches etc. I always expected OPP would encrypt fully.They already have some TG’s on the current FleetNet system that are ENC and they rarely use them unless it’s for an undercover / surveillance (mission critical) type scenario.

I’m in the Niagara Region. I’m going to program our current FleetNet frequencies into my radio on p25 phase 2 (VHF) and see if anythings pops out at me over the next little while.

I also wonder what they will do for the in vehicle repeaters? The currently use a UHF system in their vehicles and will switch to 700-800 and they may just leave those non enc for ease of programming and use. Maybe all a pipe dream lol.
My main question is: The current listed frequencies in this thread, are they currently listenable❓ Or are they already employing all ENC?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Judging by the licence for the MTO stations and from what I’ve been told, the DVRS’ will be 700MHz. It’s my understanding MOC units are already using them and I think Zone 4 MOH units might also have them.

ATCTech

Keep in mind the 700 MHz band used 6.25 kHz spacing so that's 771.88125 MHz to be deadly accurate. Site inputs are +30 MHz up there which would be 801.88125 in this case.

ATCTech

Without looking it up 769.000 to 776.000 sounds right in 6.25 kHz steps. That's not necessarily the entire alloted spectrum but it is what's been seen active in the GTHA to date for public safety frequency assignments.

Last edited:

VA3ADP

Premium Subscriber
The original poster from Indiana saw this information via DSD+ software. Others in southwestern Ontario were also watching but did not come forward until this thread came up.

The P25 talkgroups are relative to the Motorola talkgroups by being divisible by 16. They were correlated that way.

I've been doing the math and it looks like that would put the OPP TG's on the 500 series and the EMS TG's in the 2200 series

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Migration of a Motorola Type II or EDACS system to P25 often does this kind of talkgroup correlation. Odds are good you can take your entire TG map and do the calculations, and things will line up.

Muxlow

Super Secret
I'm currently watching another system moving to new gear and they are also keeping the same talkgroups as their old system. There were talks about adding a new site in Leamington and possibly one on Pelee Island. There are two medics are out there 24 hours a day for five days in a row with a truck and a backup vehicle then they swap out with a different crew.
Guess the comms aren't the best out on the island so might see two new sites. One of the OPP sites in Leamington had an antenna removed and replaced with what looks to be a 800 MHz on one of the apartment buildings.